Old February 24, 2001, 09:06   #1
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 08:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Rome - next beta version
I finished a reworked version of Imperium Romanum, but since it is not very well tested, I´ll offer it here as a public beta.

Please note that you have to start a new game with this version, so if you want to finish older games first I recommend that you install the new version into another folder. Here´s the link:

http://home.debitel.net/user/bbrosing/ImpRomEng.zip

The sounds are the same as for the older version, so you don´t need to download them, if you´ve done that already:

http://home.debitel.net/user/bbrosing/ImpRomSnd.zip

Please make sure that you have setup the scenario correctly before you start it (see under "Installation" in the readme), you can now also install a different pedia.txt for FW/MGE during the setup.

The main changes of the new version are:

-error corrections
-some events reworked
-some new units (mainly for special events)
-some units stats changed
-some map/terrain changes
-Ptolemaios Earthmap can only be build in the last part

The heaviest discussions for the old version were about Elephants and Siegetowers. In both cases I found a compromise: Elephants will appear now in North Italy during the 2nd Punic War, but not in the first "wave".

I was pretty unsure about the Siegetower movement. I tested MP 1, but the poor AI was too stupid to laying siege to my cities with MP1 Siegetowers. In the end I changed it to 1+2/3 MP, slower than the normal units, but fast enough for the AI to move and strike in the same turn.

Smaller siege engines will also have improved movement rates in the later parts, mainly to support the AI, but this reflects also the increased abilities of ancient armies in the fields of transports and logistics.

Suggestions are of course welcome...

[This message has been edited by BeBro (edited February 24, 2001).]
Old February 25, 2001, 12:08   #2
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 07:11
I seem to recal roman veterans being called "Triarii" or something similar, these veterans had their own place in formations and stuff, why not change the "Veteran" in the lables.txt to triarii (check on the word first though, I am not sure that that was the word).
Old February 25, 2001, 15:46   #3
Cal
Prince

Local Time: 06:11
Syracuse is a lot harder to capture now...

Other than that, I've found one bug, kinda...
After you capture Capua and get the free engineer, if you build a road in the one greenland square to connect Rome's roads and Capua, then put the settler on automated, it'll most likely now irrigate that grassland square, even though there's no access to water from it.
Great scenario...

edit: And another thing... I've checked every single Ancient Rome book I can find, but I can't determine where Antium is supposed to be founded as a Roman colony, does anyone know?
[This message has been edited by Cal (edited February 25, 2001).]
Old February 25, 2001, 16:43   #4
BeBro
Emperor

Cal, thanks for the comment I think we can live with the settler thing. I took Antium from the original civ2 city.txt, so I never thought about that...so I only can ask the same as you, does anyone know?
Old February 25, 2001, 16:59   #5
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:11
Well, Pro knew where it was! And I thought is was a typo! Where exactly was it located?
[This message has been edited by cpoulos (edited February 25, 2001).]
Old February 25, 2001, 17:13   #6
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

quote:

Originally posted by Cal on 02-25-2001 02:46 PM

And another thing... I've checked every single Ancient Rome book I can find, but I can't determine where Antium is supposed to be founded as a Roman colony, does anyone know?

[This message has been edited by Cal (edited February 25, 2001).]

It was an indipendent town, with full vote rights, of the Latin League, and one of the few in ancient Latium to possess a strong sea power... until it was involved into that Latin League war against Rome in IV century BC. Antium fleet was destroyed - ships' rostra were used to build a trophy column on Rome forum - and Antiates were forced to a foedum iniquum with rome, and lately they became a roman municipium.

[This message has been edited by Prometeus (edited February 25, 2001).]
Old February 25, 2001, 18:22   #7
Cal
Prince

Latium is between Rome and Capua, right? Then... it's impossible to build a historically accurate Antium.
Old February 26, 2001, 01:24   #8
BeBro
Emperor

I thought the Hastati/Principes/Triarii order was only used in the Legions before Marius´Army Reform, before the Cohorts became the main tactical units (not the Manipels as earlier) - maybe I´m wrong???...Someone who knows it better?
Old February 26, 2001, 01:35   #9
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:11
BeBro, tell how you made a unit with a fractional movement factor?
Old February 26, 2001, 01:42   #10
BeBro
Emperor

This was discovered by William Keenan, and it is explained on Kull´s website: enter "172" as movement rate in the rules for 1+1/3MP, or "343" for 1+2/3MP. There may be more of these strange numbers. However, it seems to work fine, also for the AI, and it adds more flexibility for us scn makers.
Old February 26, 2001, 01:48   #11
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

You are probably right, I am no expert on Roman armies (now, should you ever need help whit the 17th century armies (or anything 17th century), I could be of help).
Old February 26, 2001, 08:01   #12
BeBro
Emperor

Hey, thanks for the info, Prometeus

Cal, in which turn are you? Does everything work fine?
Old February 26, 2001, 10:35   #13
Cal
Prince

I find myself restarting a lot because of stupid, fatal mistakes. Like one time I was doing really well... but when it came time to conquer southern Italy, I couldn't do it because I hadn't even researched one new military tech.
Old February 26, 2001, 16:01   #14
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

to Cal

quote:

Originally posted by Cal on 02-25-2001 05:22 PM
Latium is between Rome and Capua, right? Then... it's impossible to build a historically accurate Antium.

For Ancient Latium, yes, you are right... nowdays northern Lazio was called Tuscia by romans ( and still today we name it this way in dialect - kinda "Little Tuscany" ). Yup, you're right about Antium...

To BeBro

De nada, Bernd...
Old February 27, 2001, 10:22   #15
BeBro
Emperor

Ah Cal, I only asked because I want to know how the players think about the reworked events, but most of them are in the second part or later...
Old February 28, 2001, 04:08   #16
KhanMan
Prince

Mmmmm...THIS is the kind of upkeep I'd like to see in many other scenarios

Dare I hope that the Spartacus-Slave revolt has been strengthened? It saddened me greatly to see so many slaves beat their heads 'gainst the walls of Syracuse

-KhanMan
Old February 28, 2001, 11:09   #17
BeBro
Emperor

KhanMan, the small Slave´s revolt on Sicily (not the Spartacus thing) isn´t much changed, because it wasn´t as important as Spartacus´ fights later, but I did some other nice changes (I hope )
Old February 28, 2001, 14:24   #18
Masis
Warlord

Taling of Roman Scenarios, I have made some myself at This Palce though it has given the design credit to my Dad! The graphics are primitive, as I did not have Paint Shop Pro when I made those scenarios originally.
Making a First Crusade Scenario-to be as definitive as possible in terms of accuracy...as well as fun to play again and again with any side you like.
Noticed a topic that was asking about preventing city-founding, well thats what I am doing with the civ that plays the Crusaders, as they do not begin with a capitol, until they conquer the Levant (Med. coast of middle-east).

I have a question though-I saw some really good units made that also had the civ's flag style on their sheilds-i.e. a cross.
How is this done?

------------------
MRP
Old February 28, 2001, 15:06   #19
BeBro
Emperor

Masis, what are the titles of your scns? There are so many scns on the page I visited via your link, I´m not sure which yours are.

To the signs on the unit´s shields (hope I didn´t missunderstood you): Simply paint such a sign in the units.gif near the unit, and adjust it so that its position is the same as the shield position (the shield position is marked by the blue dots in the green border around every unit).
If you have scenarios like RedFront or Second Front by Captain Nemo, look into the units.gif there, Nemo has done such things for his WWII units...
Old February 28, 2001, 16:01   #20
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

quote:

Originally posted by BeBro on 02-28-2001 10:09 AM
KhanMan, the small Slave´s revolt on Sicily (not the Spartacus thing) isn´t much changed, because it wasn´t as important as Spartacus´ fights later...

...except because it took four legions' effort to tame it. Rome should have lerned something from Eunus'/King Antiocus' revolt, but instead... nada de nada. As a matter of fact, Posidonius of Rhodos/Rodi was right when he said that whoever acted as a bad slave owner was a danger for the whole society. And then came Spartacus...

Old February 28, 2001, 17:55   #21
BeBro
Emperor

quote:

...except because it took four four legions' effort to tame it

Yes, probably not sooo small as I said But compared to Spartacus´fights...
Old February 28, 2001, 21:06   #22
Masis
Warlord

Thanks for the information BeBro.
And the vital information to know the 'much aclaimed' Dad-his name is Khatchik Panos-my name is Masis Panos but I used his e-mail address.

"And after the you have spanked us the or** *ex" Maid Dingo to Sir Galahad, Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

------------------
MRP