Old November 25, 2003, 01:41   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:12
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Our future direction...
Until now we Vikings have been without much in terms of longterm objectives more specific than "kill enemy, steal their wives and money". It is about time that we tried to think of something more specific.

We are placed in the middle of 3 civs we know of - the Persians to our West, Egyptians to our North and Spanish to our NorthEast.

The Persians have no Horses, and one source of Iron that could be easily cut off by a Galley landing onto the Mountain where the mines are. We are within one turn of seeing if they have it connected or not.

If we could deny them Immortals AND Horsemen even our Archers could dish out some severe damage and give us the Silks they have.

The Egyptians have Horses (and thus their UU War Chariots), and the only Iron they have is on a small nearby island (very capturable ). This island also has Horses, so may be a very good way of quickly getting resources. However, we would need a Harbour there with a permanent route back to the mainland else our enemies could cut off our supplies. The trade route would have to pass through either current Egyptian or Persian territory.

We would need to be careful, however, as with their GA from a successful Chariot attack, the Egyptians could throw a tonee of units at us.

The Spanish are on some very broken up land, in addition to having a colony on the island immediately south of us, with several Galleywith which they could found more cities anytime. They have both Iron and Horses, but their land is such that they have many bottlenecks which would make it difficult for them to ambush us, with proper planning.

If we took some of their land we add Dyes to our luxuries available.

That said, there is some land around us that is unsettled. There is room on the Southern island for at least another city, and probably more in the unexplored regions. We have a settler ready to go and found a city on the East coast of this land. Also, we have sighted an isalnd of some type to the far west of us, to where Valkrie Makahlua is leading her Galley of feared warriors right now. There is also some unsettled land on our island to the west of our current settlements.

So, hungry Vikings, what should we do? Settle everywhere we can first, or choose one or more of our neighbours to sharpen our axes on?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Last edited by MrWhereItsAt; November 25, 2003 at 01:55.
Old November 25, 2003, 01:49   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

I realise some of those pics aren't showing - I will check back later and try to fix this..

EDIT: Fixed them!

Last edited by MrWhereItsAt; November 25, 2003 at 01:56.
Old November 25, 2003, 03:15   #3
sprudl
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 15:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Just some quick thoughts as I can't load the save right now.

Whatever we do, we'll probably have to devote all possible resources to it and make sure we can finish the job.

We should definitely explore the island to our west. After we've done that we can decide if it's worth settling.

We can keep expanding for now. There is still a lot of unclaimed land. We'd need to get the cities founded quickly.

The Persians can literally be the most powerful opponent if the iron is hooked up. We have also angered them by taking their settler. They might come after us at some point.
These are very good arguments in favor of taking a few key cities form the Persians. However, they might be to big for us at this time. We have limited military resources and production capacity.

The Spanish appear to be an easy target: fragmented land, no better units than us. Madrid looks really nice
Taking that city would really hurt the Spanish. Of course we need to get to their land with galleys. Are the barb galleys still there?

I don't know what Egypt's attitude is towards us, but I think they are the lowest priority. We might take their resource island, but we'd probably have problems keeping it and using it well.

Tough choice. But a short war is probably the best option now. It is a bigger risk than just expanding.
Old November 25, 2003, 06:26   #4
Torkkeli
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Umm... What was that thread titled....

Oh yes, United Grid Lobbyists (UGL) Sign Up Thread...

On a serious note:
Build few more settlers, settle what we can and then let's go bonk some persian heads!
Old November 25, 2003, 09:17   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Torkkeli
Umm... What was that thread titled....

Oh yes, United Grid Lobbyists (UGL) Sign Up Thread...
Oh.... tosh.

The only reason for having the grid on in screenies is so you can map out city positions or exact tiles. That's not needed here, so I didn't bother. The screenshots in the turnchat 10 report thread however, ARE grided, as they should be.

And did anyone even comment on that? Nooooo...

Old November 25, 2003, 09:23   #6
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:12
"Well gridded. Thanks!"
Old November 25, 2003, 16:35   #7
Ennet
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Prince

The persians DO have horses actually! SW of Pasargade..

A.D 300, after 5h of playing DonHomer said: "looks like civ2 could be a good way to kill time if i can get the hang of it :P"
Old November 26, 2003, 07:37   #8
Torkkeli
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Well spotted Ennet!

So this will change our plans on conquering the pesky persians... will it not?
Old November 26, 2003, 12:53   #9
ormuzd
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameIron CiversApolyton UniversityC4DG The HordeC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Persia has horses
Spain has iron
Egypt - horses and iron

The easiest way to see this is the diplomacy screen (FAM )
Old November 28, 2003, 17:21   #10
Ennet
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Prince

i'd would like to know if the iron is connected or not before i made my mind up.. if it's not i think we should drop of some units there to keep it that way and immediatly launch an attack at Persia. otherwise, im not really sure that a war with Persia is what we want at this time..

A.D 300, after 5h of playing DonHomer said: "looks like civ2 could be a good way to kill time if i can get the hang of it :P"