Old February 27, 2001, 23:08   #31
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 14:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm all for a systematic and thorough process like Kull says. However if time and resources are short, a compromise solution might be to

1. ignore everything above and start afresh

2. state the categories and descriptions at the HAC site first

3. start a new thread (maybe in the HAC forum?)for each category. Something along the lines of: For the AAA category, I vote for BBB because........

As for the categories, my opinion is that

1. rather than 1st, 2nd and 3rd best scenario, why don't be split the awards by time periods. Maybe best historic, best modern(1900-2000) and best future/fantasy followed by best overall chosen from one of the three.

2. The distinction between modpacks and scenarios is quite blurred. The official description using whether there is a .scn file or not is correct but there are modpacks which come with scenarios as well. Some people might prefer to call anything that starts with one city each a modpack and anything that has fully developed civilisations a scenario. Many like Valdez like to make mod packs because pre FW users can play them as well. Maybe we can just lump modpacks and scenarios together as best scenario/modpack since it was mentioned that modpacks have been few and far between.

3. Seems there are too many web-site categories. Maybe we can drop the most friendly web-site (strange category?) and add best original art.

Well I'm kinda new around here having only joined the civ2 scene in the last quarter of 2000 and don't really know the background of the awards too well. If my suggestions seem wierd, I'm willing to go along with whatever the majority feels is right.

Old February 28, 2001, 01:19   #32
MarkG

at first i thought of not geting into this discussion but one thing made me wonder

quote:

Originally posted by WarVoid on 02-26-2001 05:56 PM
I'm not going to stretch out results for the 2000 awards until March.

quote:

The 2001 awards however will be different and more refined.

Until then, make your nominations and tell all your friends about this. And in the meantime i'll start doing up some banners for the 2001 awards...

quote:

Stuff created between 1997-2000 is applicable to these awards. Whereas stuff created in 2001 (and beyond ) is not.

as i understand it, you're leaving stuff created in 2001 for the 2001 contest. which will of course happen in 2002, right? so instead of doing a more "complicated"("fair" i would say) contest for 2000, you are in a hurry to make the banners for the 2001 contest which will take place in around one year?????????

Old March 2, 2001, 21:58   #33
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:12
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Kull on 02-25-2001 01:01 PM
One final suggestion: If you are serious about this, keep it as far away from the off-topic forum as possible.

What is this "Civ2" you guys are talking about?

BTW: I nominate Alexander's Horse as best civer and Mingapulco as best scenario.

Old March 2, 2001, 22:11   #34
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 08:12
quote:

Originally posted by GP on 03-02-2001 08:58 PM
I nominate Alexander's Horse as best civer and Mingapulco as best scenario.

He, he, AH would well fit into that cathegory. I'd vote for him as well . But Mingapulco...
Old June 4, 2001, 02:09   #35
Cam
King

Local Time: 15:42
Quote:
Originally posted by WarVoid
.... SDC3 was a mess and I tried to help with it but lack of communication kept me out of the circle. I like action, I believe in fast and accurate processes....
More information on SDC (the Test of Time bit) in the form of the download points may be obtained from; http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=20028

.. how's that for fast!