View Poll Results: Which shall we concentrate on building first?
Offensive units first 5 50.00%
Defensive units first 4 40.00%
Bananas first 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 25, 2003, 22:51   #1
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Local Time: 08:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
SMC Poll #2: Military Building Priorities
As seen in my earlier thread about the state of the Viking military, our current military is woefully inadequate for our current protection. It is my goal to successfully build up the military.

I am deeply concerned by the very low number of offensive units (archers). If we are to conduct a successful war, we need offensive units, and a lot of them. At the current time, we have few.

However, the lack of any unit with a defense greater than 1 is equally concerning. Being on an island and watching other civs' galleys constantly sailing by is quite worrying; an invasion could come at any time. I believe that it is very important to build some spearmen (at least 1, probably 2) for all of our cities, especially since we now know the Persians have a source of Iron. Warriors and archers on the defensive are no match for Immortals, or swordsmen, or really even archers for that matter.

So, what should we concentrate on building now? Defensive units, in case war comes to us; or offensive units, to take the war to them?
Old November 26, 2003, 00:23   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:15
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Remember the more Archers we get, the more we will have ready for upgrades to Berzerks when the time comes. However, we will need some Spears for a war against any of our opponents.

I will not vote just yet so as not to swing the other voters.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 26, 2003, 00:33   #3
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 06:15
Your just the SMC. Not the DM too
Old November 26, 2003, 03:04   #4
ormuzd
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameIron CiversApolyton UniversityC4DG The HordeC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Local Time: 15:15
voted for defensive units. We are still expanding and we need some defense for now. After some time, when we have settled the island(s) we may start building archers and upgrade them to bezerks
Old November 26, 2003, 04:05   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:15
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Master
Your just the SMC. Not the DM too
Yay! I look forward to the DM poll(s) then.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 26, 2003, 07:45   #6
Torkkeli
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

I'd say in our current situation we need defensive forces more than offensive ones.
Old November 26, 2003, 10:34   #7
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 13:15
archer! Archer!! ARCHER!!!

A good defense is a good offense. Build Archers to use as military police to keep the cities happy, and have a couple of spear handy to move to threatened areas.

You can do so much more with an offensive unit. What are we to do if an AI civ has an spear running around inside our cultural border pillaging our valuable roads? Attack it with a spear? Not a chance! Basicly, spear just sit there, Archers DO stuff.
Old November 26, 2003, 15:49   #8
ElDiablo666
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Local Time: 14:15
Voted for defensive units...

Viking cities simply need units to guard their cities. Think of it long term a bit.. If we go arround kicking ass we should have something at home just in case our conquering doesn't go so well... Right?
Old November 28, 2003, 17:30   #9
Ennet
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Prince

Local Time: 14:15
is there noone that think we might build some offencive units and some defencive at the same time? :-) i mean we DO got multiplie cities, right? :-)

A.D 300, after 5h of playing DonHomer said: "looks like civ2 could be a good way to kill time if i can get the hang of it :P"
Old November 29, 2003, 02:48   #10
ormuzd
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameIron CiversApolyton UniversityC4DG The HordeC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

I think we need to settle the islands and after this make the offense against someone (no matter who).