Old January 12, 2001, 18:36   #1
MagyarCrusader

World War One email game
I've been reading some of the latest threads on email multiplayers games and found them exciting. I guess it's too late for me to join in any existing game, so I'm opening up this thread to ask if anyone is willing to play my 2nd Reich scenario. I made a version specifically for multiplayer, but I never actually played it myself. Turns can be rather long, so I think playing it through email a turn a day would work out well. The human playable civilizations are the Allies (which include the British/French and the Americans later on), the Germans, the Austro-Hungarians, the Russians, and the Italians. Because of the way the alliances work, I could play the game with 1 other person at the least, or up to 5 if there are enough people interested. Plus, if someone wants to stop once the game is started they can give their hotseat password to someone on their team willing to continue. The scenario can be downloaded at CSC if you don't have it and want to take a look at it first if you commit to anything (oh, and if you think the graphics suck, you can replace them with your own!). I think Allard also reviewed this scenario at the SLeague. So if anyone is interested, please post here and let me know. Thanks.

------------------
"There is no more illustrious history than the history of the Magyar Nation... The whole civilized world is indebted to Magyarland for its historic deeds."
-Theodore Roosevelt, to the Hungarian Parliament,
April 2, 1910

Old January 12, 2001, 19:08   #2
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 08:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hi Mike, long time no hear! I believe there is still anopen slot for our 30 yr war game. You're welcome to join!
Old January 12, 2001, 23:33   #3
RobRoy
Warlord

Local Time: 06:12
I did like that scenario (most of yours actually), and I'm curious what changes you made for multiplayer. Were they event changes? Changes to make it move faster? Changes to make it more balanced?

To be honest, some of my prejudices against WWII scenarios (despite all the great efforts out there, I just don't think the game engine is capable of simulating that conflict to my satisfaction) also applies to WWI games, albeit somewhat less strongly. Plus, I'm ambivalent about playing a multiplayer game that includes the scenario's designer (seems somehow "wrong"...call me old-fashioned).

Hey, why don't you dust off that that old Roman scenario and update it for multiplayer...or better yet, something in Test of Time...

Seems to me Techumseh piped up a hair before you did on the 30 years war scenario...but he seemed willing to yield if your interest was stronger...why don't you work it out with him? I think it'd be great to have a full seven players IFF we ever get that one off the ground.

If you do get a few more people interested in 2nd Reich or something else, you can consider me a "maybe", or an alternate, or a sometime human player for a non-critical civ (say the Italians). My problem is my free time tends to swing wildly between feast and famine. I think PBEM should fit into the schedule nicely, even when things get hectic, again. But two games might be pushing it, and I'd have to focus on the one I committed to first.
Old January 14, 2001, 15:16   #4
MagyarCrusader

Nobody's interested?

Old January 14, 2001, 15:24   #5
Allard HS
Prince

I'm interested.

I assume we're talking about standard MPS CiC WW1 scenario?
Old January 14, 2001, 15:50   #6
Jay Bee
staff

Hi M.C.

You probably know that there is still an open slot for our never-starting 30 yrs game. RobRoy quit. I would like to invite you to join.
Old January 14, 2001, 16:26   #7
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 07:12
Geez I've shoulda known this was you Mike

Allard: He's talking about his WW1 ("2nd Reich") scenario.
Old January 14, 2001, 19:35   #8
Allard HS
Prince

MagyarCrusader... Mike... 2nd Reich... Now all comes together!

2nd Reich is even better! I've developped some nice strategies for it!
Old January 15, 2001, 03:21   #9
MagyarCrusader

Yes Allard, 2nd Recih. You can replace my graphics with the units you drew for your unreleased western front game . Can you please email them to me as well if you still have them? What civilization(s) are you interested in playing?

JB, I just posted in the other thread. Thanks for letting me know about it (long threads like that lose my interest rather quickly...)

RobRoy- the multiplayer version comes with the scenario. It just uses different events. The single player events just added units to the enemy civs to make it a challenge. The multiplayer events contain all the essential events like battles, but without the unit creation actions.

Old January 15, 2001, 08:02   #10
Allard HS
Prince

quote:

You can replace my graphics with the units you drew for your unreleased western front game

They are not thát bad

quote:

Can you please email them to me as well if you still have them?

Why don't you have an email link in your profile? Hmm, well, anyway, you can download the stuff here:

http://www.geocities.com/ahofelt/aug14wes.zip

edit: A geocities page, so may have problems with downloading. If there are, type in the adress manually..

quote:

What civilization(s) are you interested in playing?

Don't care
[This message has been edited by Allard HS (edited January 15, 2001).]
Old January 15, 2001, 09:58   #11
Marko
Prince

I'm interested to play.
My choices:

1. England/France
2. Austria-Hungary.
3. Germany

Old January 15, 2001, 22:03   #12
MagyarCrusader

Thanks Allard for the link. Sure you don't care about which civilization?

Personally, I prefer the Central Powers (wonder why ?) Either one is good for me. But how does this sound: Germany/AustriaHun=me, Allies=Marko, Italians/Russians= Allard. If I remember correctly the Allies and Russians were the biggest civilizations, so splitting them up would make it easier. The Russian turn is right after the Italian turn, just like the Austrian turn is right after the German turn. Russia dies off towards the end thanks to the Reds, so that way the player can still use Italy. Thats my reasoning behind it. Any objections/comments/questions? Make sure you have the latest MGE patch installed and hopefully I'll start the game tomorrow. Thanks.

My email is michael@jeszenka.com . Its not in my profile because I'm too lazy to add it in there.

Old January 18, 2001, 21:21   #13
MagyarCrusader

Hello?

Old January 19, 2001, 00:00   #14
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 02:12
Wait MJ...when the hell did you come back???
Old January 19, 2001, 01:45   #15
MagyarCrusader

No, the question is when was I gone? I've always been lurking around the SLeague, but my visit became less frequent as I got bored with civ2, and began working less and less on scenarios. I hardly posted because nothing really seemed to be of interest. I had to stay here to check up on the ToT design contest. I read a thread about people playing a multiplayer hotseat game with Nemo's WW2 scenario and it sounded very interesting. Once before I attempted to play an email game with John Petroski on Ansteig, but we only played about 8 turns and never finished. This "new" aspect of multiplayer civ2 really interests me, and so I started this thread hoping to play the 2nd Reich scenario. I also joined in on the 30 Years War scenario, but unfortunately I can't play as the Magyars .

So anyway, as long as the ToT contest is going around, and the multiplayer games are being played, I'm an active SLeague poster .

Old January 19, 2001, 16:35   #16
Allard HS
Prince

I'm patiently awaiting the files. I like to play any civ, so Russians are fine. Italians are fine too, and playing both is nice too.

Now let's just hope not to do what Samsonov did.

BTW, MJ did you see the Western Front scenario? As you see, a lot still needs to be done, but on the other hand, a lot also already has been done. Only the events part... the most annoying part of designing.
Old January 19, 2001, 18:24   #17
Jay Bee
staff

quote:

Originally posted by Allard HS on 01-19-2001 03:35 PM
I'm patiently awaiting the files. I like to play any civ, so Russians are fine. Italians are fine too, and playing both is nice too.

So, Allard, how many PBEM's are you gonna play at the same time?

------------------
"Our community extends beyond national frontiers. Whether it is an Argentinian or a Spaniard, a Chilean or a Mexican, we all know as children that our national language is the language of many nations, and that it was born in Spain many centuries ago... without it, our people would not exist"

Octavio Paz, Mexican Writer. Nobel Laureate 1990, Cervantes Prize 1982
Old January 20, 2001, 03:49   #18
MagyarCrusader

quote:

BTW, MJ did you see the Western Front scenario? As you see, a lot still needs to be done, but on the other hand, a lot also already has been done. Only the events part... the most annoying part of designing.

Allard, don't take this the wrong way... but you are a bastard! I downloaded the scenario and was amazed and upset that it wasn't finished! I feel cheated or robbed! If the Western Front scenario was finished, I'd think we'd have a scenario classic on our hands.

Old January 20, 2001, 11:20   #19
Allard HS
Prince

quote:

So, Allard, how many PBEM's are you gonna play at the same time?

3, if all goes well. The more the better.

quote:

I feel cheated or robbed! If the Western Front scenario was finished, I'd think we'd have a scenario classic on our hands.

Then help me finish it!
Old January 20, 2001, 15:08   #20
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 23:12
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Allard: I've been toying with the idea of creating a scenario called "Guns of August", but it seems like you beat me to the punch. Still, if "Western Front" is incomplete and just needs Events, perhaps collaboration is possible? I LOVE Events, and wanted to use this as a vehicle for a Nemoesque all-out onslaught on France.

No promises, but if you're interested perhaps you could send me the files so I can play around with it.
Old January 20, 2001, 16:16   #21
Allard HS
Prince

quote:

I've been toying with the idea of creating a scenario called "Guns of August", but it seems like you beat me to the punch. Still, if "Western Front" is incomplete and just needs Events, perhaps collaboration is possible? I LOVE Events, and wanted to use this as a vehicle for a Nemoesque all-out onslaught on France.

The Guns of August, right? Guess you read the book similarly named from Barbara Tuchman.. Excellent book.

I've been developping this scenario about a year ago, but stopped working on it some time afterwards.

quote:

No promises, but if you're interested perhaps you could send me the files so I can play around with it

The link has alraedy been given. Anybody can download it who wants to.

http://www.geocities.com/ahofelt/aug14wes.zip

Don't feel obliged to do anything about it, but I'd love a cooperation effect especailly if you seem to like the part (events) exactly that I hate..
Old January 20, 2001, 17:22   #22
Kull
lifer
King

Allard: I get a "web page unavailable" message from that link.
Old January 20, 2001, 17:48   #23
Allard HS
Prince

Kull: yes, it's an annoying Geocities page. Try typing the link manually. If that doesn't work, I'll email you.

As for the game. Here is what happened during Italy's and Russia's turn:

In Italy, everything is quiet.

The Russians have retaken the city of Lemberg after destroying large numbers of badly equipped, second-ranked and half-dead Austrian troops in a most glorious charge à la bayonette, which was carried out in great efficiency in very dense formation.
Old January 20, 2001, 17:51   #24
Kull
lifer
King

Copied and pasted the link and that worked! I'll poke around and get back to...hopefully by tomorrow.
Old January 21, 2001, 22:56   #25
MagyarCrusader

Who's turn is it? I haven't gotten an email in a while.

Old January 22, 2001, 00:25   #26
Marko
Prince

Allies, September 1914:

During victorious counterattack we destroyed all German divisions near Paris and liberated Troyes and Reims cities. The short time when germans occupied these areas they had pillaged and demolished everything.
Around Lille our brave soldiers destroyed enemy's heavy artillery batteries. Our scientists analyse currently captured exemplars of these powerful weapons.

[This message has been edited by Marko (edited January 21, 2001).]
Old January 22, 2001, 21:19   #27
MagyarCrusader

Information Recently Declassified From The Imperial German Military:

September 1914-
Dead along the western front. No engagements conducted this month except a skirmish concerning an area of forest outside of Lille. In which case both an Allied and German unit were lost. The Imperial Fleet sunk an Allied merchant ship in the Med. Sea just south of France.
Much more action took place in the East. A successful attack was launched upon Warsaw. More German soldiers died in the battle than Russian, but the capital of Poland was worth it.

Old January 22, 2001, 21:37   #28
MagyarCrusader

The Hapsburg Empire reports that they have destroyed a Russian light artillery battery outside of Lemberg. Other than that, no combat initiated.

Old January 23, 2001, 07:25   #29
Allard HS
Prince

September 1914.
After the catastrophical defeat of the Russian second army of General Samsonov, the Germans had no further obstruction to capture Warsaw. This city has fallen into the claws of the Hun, but our glorious armies have been regrouped and are ready to attack the enemy and to destroy all traces of the so-called civilization of the Germans.

In memoriam A.V. Samsonov

Your watch you kept with eagle eye,
O'er storming men, o'er victory's gain;
Far, far above you in the sky,
All but unseen, an airplane...

Now, a random selection from comtemporary Russian newspapers.

"From the misty North come streaming
Vengeful warriors, near and far;
Cross in hand and armor gleaming,
Slavedom's champions gird for war."

"Poles! The hour has struck when the cherished dream of
your fathers and forefathers (...) Let the Polish people
unite beneath the scepter of the Tsar of Russia..."

"Go, beloved ones! Fearless, brave,
Drink from the proffered cup of parting"

"Czechs! The twelfth hour is almost at hand! Your three-hundred-year-old
dream of a free, independent Czech state: it is now or never!"

"Bulletprood vests! Buy them now"