Old November 26, 2003, 10:13   #1
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 08:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Why was I unable to post yesterday??
This wasn't just a busy server. All this is IIRC...

After my first post yesterday (25 Nov, about 7:30am US Central), I was unable to use "post reply" or "quick reply." Neither function appeared on my screen. Similarly, when I tried "my threads" (or any search-related function), I got the "You are not authorized or not logged in" page, though the server did know I was online as -Jrabbit.

I was able to access my control panel, but only from the site's homepage. Once there, I could not make changes -- again, "not authorized or not logged in."

Today, everything is back to normal.

So what was that all about??

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old November 26, 2003, 10:27   #2
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 15:16
You were banned 24 hours for violation of "Apolyton: File Upload" rule, not uploading files related to the games site covers.
Old November 26, 2003, 10:31   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

You couldn't post yesterday because you were restricted

But it had nothing to do with any of your actions in the forums... It was for a different reason...

Reason: Violation of "Apolyton: File Upload" rule, not uploading files related to the games site covers

You were one of many who couldn't post yesterday.

Username: self biased
Username: Verto
Username: GerarDream
Username: Boco
Username: GhengisFarb
Username: The Viceroy
Username: fooart
Username: HongHu
Username: kopi8
Username: -Jrabbit
Username: reismark
Username: Buck Birdseed
Username: Datajack Franit
Username: Verres
Username: cosmocop
Username: Valde
Username: El Awrence

The owners will routinely check the up load files to insure that people are following the rules. You may only upload things that relate to games covered by Apolyton. They aren't meant for personal or non game files.

Most people were restricted for only 24 hours... a few got nailed for longer. Consider it a "simple" way to remind people about the rules... it does get people's attention
Old November 26, 2003, 10:35   #4
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
The owners will routinely check the up load files [...]
upload is one word.

Oh, and I broke you to it
Old November 26, 2003, 10:39   #5
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Yep... I typo.
And you beat me to it only because you posted a simple message. I wanted to provide more details so that others with the same question would know why they couldn't post yesterday
Old November 26, 2003, 10:42   #6
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Well, I don't think I have the autority to post the names of people being banned from the ban log. But if someone asks I can tell him that he was You on the other hand can post the more info stuff
Old November 26, 2003, 10:42   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:16
Local Date: November 3, 2010
The lesson is, never upload.
Old November 26, 2003, 10:47   #8
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
Well, I don't think I have the autority to post the names of people being banned from the ban log. But if someone asks I can tell him that he was You on the other hand can post the more info stuff
In most cases, I wouldn't post such a list.

However, I've received PM's from many people, on this subject, so I felt a list would save some additional PM's

It also serves as a reminder that the owners are serious about this rule.
Old November 26, 2003, 11:09   #9
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 07:16
Upload needs to be removed.

Sorry, Markos, this feature didn't pan out. Please remove it, delete all the files on it, and not serve out any more of these short-notice bans.

Let people find their own hosting, but this isn't worth it. It's extra server space used up, and the current method of "abuse" (the details are sketchy) punishment (extermination) is a sharp downturn from Apolyton's usual goodnaturedness.

End the horror, the entire online community (okay, maybe I exaggerated a little) begs you to.

-Mrmitchell
Old November 26, 2003, 11:17   #10
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
The lesson is, never upload.

No... the lesson is to follow the rules. Just upload things that are Apolyon Covered Game related. The owners are providing a service for those that need it. Just don't abuse it
Old November 26, 2003, 11:20   #11
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 09:16
Upload is absolutely vital for the private forums because there can be no attachments there. However, if we are allowed attachments in private forums I would be fine with no uploads.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old November 26, 2003, 11:31   #12
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
End the horror, the entire online community (okay, maybe I exaggerated a little) begs you to.
And I beg you to stop speaking in my name.

I find the upload feature very handy as I don't have free hosting space. Since the last time I checked we are unable to attach files in private fora, uploading is the only way to show a picture or other file in the ACDTG Consciousness private forum. Your argument that it uses extra server space is false too, at least in my case. If I attach something, I almost always leave that attachment there for the rest of eternity, even after no one checks the thread anymore. However my uploaded files I clean regularly, so server space is freed that way.

Last edited by Maniac; November 26, 2003 at 11:37.
Old November 26, 2003, 11:40   #13
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Well in that case all we need to do is find out what the banned had in their Uploads at the time they were given the 24hr boot.

Cmon, Ming, give us a hint. Was it mp3s, warez, etc? Or was it just "non-civ related material"? How strict is "non-civ related material", anyways?
Old November 26, 2003, 11:53   #14
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 10:16
I wanted to personally thank the administration for their lack of tact and lack of good form, ignoring the email I sent Ming especially, thinking I had fallen subject to a bug, and not being informed by any member of the administration why I was banned, I had to find out through third parties.

Thank you, once again.
Old November 26, 2003, 11:55   #15
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by El Awrence

I wanted to personally thank the administration for their lack of tact and lack of good form, ignoring the email I sent Ming especially, thinking I had fallen subject to a bug, and not being informed by any member of the administration why I was banned, I had to find out through third parties.

Thank you, once again.
I guess it's in the FAQ, buddy. Don't you know it by heart?

Carolus
Old November 26, 2003, 12:00   #16
Dr. Nick
Deity

I'm not arguing the rules. The rules are good and fine. It's the form that angered me.
Old November 26, 2003, 12:13   #17
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
ignoring the email I sent Ming especially
I can honestly say I did not remember seeing an email from you. Granted, I get over 200 emails a day to my apolyton account, and i might have accidently erased it as I removed all the spam that I get. If I missed it, I'm sorry.

As many people on the list can tell you, I responded quickly to their PM's on the subject. (PM's are the best way to reach me) And I also respond to email at least once a day, but not usually until the evening when I'm at home.

However, it is your obligation as a "member" of this site to know the rules. When you registered, you agreed to follow them. But remember... You are the one that broke the rules here...
Old November 26, 2003, 12:19   #18
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Quote:

Granted, I get over 200 emails a day to my apolyton account,
200 a day?!

What do people write to you about? Not mainly hate mail, I hope?

Carolus
Old November 26, 2003, 12:21   #19
mrmitchell
King

After my head cooling a little, I propose that Apolyton only allow Upload service to members of private forums.

Private forum members get their storage space, no one else gets the chance to abuse it, everyone's happy.

Except for whoever has to redo the coding for the system to accomodate.
Old November 26, 2003, 12:29   #20
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

love letters
Old November 26, 2003, 12:31   #21
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Carolus Rex

200 a day?!

What do people write to you about? Not mainly hate mail, I hope?

Carolus
Very few are actually from people. The majority of them are spam (and I'm talking about stuff that get's past Apolyton's spam filiters) because "wise guys" sign my email address up to some interesting sites, and the rest are new registrations to the site. I have to look very hard to actually find real emails to that account, because they get lost in all the crap.
If I don't check it at least once a day, I could have 500 email to go through, so it would surprise me if I missed one.
Yet, most people would tell you that I do respond to my email within 24 to 48 hours. PM's are always returned faster.
Old November 26, 2003, 12:35   #22
Dr. Nick
Deity

Well, if you deleted an email subject with "Possibly Serious Bug" then I'm beginning to worry about this administration.

Old November 26, 2003, 12:48   #23
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Quote:

Very few are actually from people. The majority of them are spam
Ok, I misunderstood. I thought it was 200 e-mails a day from Apolytoners complaining about your moderating...

Yes, spam has gotten completely out of control...

Carolus
Old November 26, 2003, 12:52   #24
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Quote:

Well, if you deleted an email subject with "Possibly Serious Bug" then I'm beginning to worry about this administration.

Heh, heh!

Well, I get a lot of e-mails from "Microsoft" telling me to "Use this patch immediately!"... Leftovers from a very big worm attack some months ago, the biggest in Sweden's history so far...

They go instantly down the e-mail drain...

Carolus
Old November 26, 2003, 12:53   #25
Dr. Nick
Deity

I wish I was M$.
Old November 26, 2003, 13:01   #26
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Carolus Rex
Ok, I misunderstood. I thought it was 200 e-mails a day from Apolytoners complaining about your moderating...

Yes, spam has gotten completely out of control...
Yes... the spam is totally out of control, but I have to live with it. The Ming@apolyton.net account is important to me being able to do the job.

But I still do get a lot of emails from members... the trick is being able to identify them. Many people have gotten smart, and include their Apolyton Names in the subject line. Since many people have real strange email addresses, it makes it hard for me to identify who they are unless they actually tell me. (I can do a search of members to identify who it is, but that doesn't always work since people send me emails from accounts different to what they used to sign up at Apolyton.)
So I wouldn't be surprised if I miss an occasional email.

I would recommend that if you do try to send me one, you include Apoyton or your handle in the subject line. That increases the chances of me seeing it and not just throwing it in the trash with the rest of the spam.

But I would also recommend you just PM me
Old November 26, 2003, 13:07   #27
Dr. Nick
Deity

Well, about PMs, I haven't been able to get them to work for years. People couldn't seem to send me any (inbox full even when the inbox had been purged and emptied). So there's another 'bug'.
Old November 26, 2003, 13:10   #28
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Well, about PMs, I haven't been able to get them to work for years. People couldn't seem to send me any (inbox full even when the inbox had been purged and emptied). So there's another 'bug'.

At least I have an easy response to that one....

NOT MY JOB

However, I will look into it for you when I get a chance over the weekend...
Old November 26, 2003, 13:13   #29
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Well, about PMs, I haven't been able to get them to work for years. People couldn't seem to send me any (inbox full even when the inbox had been purged and emptied).
You do realize that the contents of your sent items box also counts toward capacity?
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old November 26, 2003, 13:30   #30
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Is your outbox full then?

Checking from the begining in both?