Old November 26, 2003, 21:30   #1
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 13:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
FIrST Thoughts
Sorry, I haven't read all the threads.

Conquest seems a little harder. I have a few issues.

1. GL's can't rush GW's? WTF!
2. You really need to start building for wonders right of the bat.
3. AI seems more agressive, unless you have a resource they want then they'll kiss your butt.
4. The AI build Wonders fast! I am having a hard time keeping up, this probably has to do with the fact that all of a sudden I have a hard time keeping up with tech... that is changing.
5. How is that changing? Trade a lot.
6. I thought there would be more luxuries....
7. Mayan's rock
8. AI is a lot quicker to attack if you suck up all the land... give them room to grow, build up your military and then attack!!!!
9. Yes, the map generator sucks. Takes me many more ctrl+shift+Q's to actuall start the game
10. I am rather empressed by this expansion compared to the last, but then I don't play multi-player.

Any other observations or help?

Thanks....
Old November 26, 2003, 23:58   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:18
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Re: FIrST Thoughts
Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
Sorry, I haven't read all the threads.

Conquest seems a little harder. I have a few issues.

1. GL's can't rush GW's? WTF!
As you will see elsewhere, MGLs can not rush Great Wonders anymore, only Small Wonders and everything else. Their main use is now in creating armies, which get bonuses they didn't before. If you are the first to research a tech (any tech), there is a chance of getting a Scientific Great Leader, which can be used to speed your scientific research or rush a Great Wonder (or anything else).

Quote:
3. AI seems more agressive, unless you have a resource they want then they'll kiss your butt.
4. The AI build Wonders fast! I am having a hard time keeping up, this probably has to do with the fact that all of a sudden I have a hard time keeping up with tech... that is changing.
These seem to be common observations.

Quote:
6. I thought there would be more luxuries....
There are LESS than usual of most.all resources/luxuries to make it more challenging, and to make the need for trading them greater.

Hope this helps...

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2003, 02:04   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:18
Japher you did not say what level you are talking about. In the main wonders are much harder to come by now because there is three additional ones in the ancient age.
Even at Monarch (have not played lower) that is way too many to build now that you can't use MGL to rush any.

It actually helps at Emp and Demi. This is because there are too many for the AI to research and build, so you can pick one and maybe up to three with the right start (early coastal for one of those and sole owner of ivory)
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2003, 07:21   #4
mimi
Warlord

Quote:

Perhaps a typo? AI KICKS my butt if I have something they don't have. They won't trade (oh, well, 40g for iron might sound like a good trade to the AI) so they attack - and head right for the city closest to the resource they want too...
mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2003, 07:40   #5
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 15:18
Quote:
10. I am rather empressed by this expansion compared to the last, but then I don't play multi-player.
*imagines Japher cross-dressing in an Empress Theodora suit*
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2003, 13:54   #6
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 06:18
Re: Re: FIrST Thoughts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

There are LESS than usual of most.all resources/luxuries to make it more challenging, and to make the need for trading them greater.
I don't like what they've done with Luxuries myself, I think they went to far there. I can control territory the size of real world Russia, and I can get only one or two measly resources, Even after I added 8 new ones I wasn't getting very many. I've finally resorted to giving them a set number, like Strategic, just to be sure there's going to be some in my territory. You can't trade what you don't have!
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2003, 15:53   #7
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 13:18
I was playing Emp, and dropped to Regent. Before this expansion I played Emp regularly (by choice), and beat the game several times on hard difficultios (not the highest one though).... I like Emp on PTW as it seemed to advance the techs rather like in real times. I was trying for a domination vicotry with all win types on before I installed Conquests, now I am trying to survive on Regent (seems pretty easy, but I think I will need to win a couple of times to get use to some of the new ways)...

Other observations:

11. If you ain't careful units will get skipped when cycling and left without moving during the turn... this sucks.
12. Do the slave workers work a lot less fast than the slave units from earlier versions?
Old December 2, 2003, 16:35   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 06:18
never had a problem with unit cycling.

I really don't play the epic game. I started one, but I'm bored of it

I can't see myself playing any epic games anymore. They take too long. I guess my attention span has dropped since my civ2 days .

But I love the scenarios. They rock! I want more too, so you bums start desiging them .
Old December 2, 2003, 18:27   #9
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

AFAIK the slaves still work at half of your civs pace, whatever that maybe. Industrious has been reduced in C3C, so that may be what you are seeing.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote