Old March 10, 2001, 16:41   #1
our_man
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 07:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Creating batch files?
I've been working on my first scenario for quite a long time now (4 months) and it's nearly ready for playtesting, but I feel it is severly limited by the minimum amount of events one can have in Fantastic Worlds. I have seen quite a few scenarios (Red Front, Imperium Romanium to name but two) in the past year that have got around this limitation by creating batch files which are run at certain dates to replace the existing events file with a new one. This seems to be the only solution, unfortunately I do not have the slightest clue how to carry it out. Any instructions on how to create this effect would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 10, 2001, 21:14   #2
Captain Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 06:12
The general idea is to create a number of events.txt files with different names to be used for each part of the scenario. When the first date to switch event files comes along the current event file gives the player a message to save the game under name XXX.sav, then to run the batch file (Which is located in the scenario directory) and select option 2 then to reload game xxx.sav
The batch file is a dos file that contains commands to copy the new events2.txt into the current events.txt and then to run the utility "Delevents" on the XXX.sav file to remove the previous events, so when reloading the XXX.sav file the new events are chosen and loaded.
Feel free to use the batch file from Red Front or Second Front as templates on how to build this file. They contain addtional commands to substitute also units.gif, terrain.gif, rules.txt, game.txt, sounds etc... but the basic structure should be easy to follow.
Old March 11, 2001, 12:31   #3
our_man
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 07:12
Thanks for the quick reply Nemo and your permission to use your batch files as templates. Suddenly this task doesn't seem quite as intimidating as it previously did!

Is it also okay if I use some of your graphics from your scenarios as well? After a few pathetic attempts at trying to do my own, I finally admitted it was definitely not my strong point and started looking for alternatives.