Old March 11, 2001, 15:24   #1
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 07:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Actually, I can only laugh about it
Yesterday, my E-drive broke down. It's a physical problem, unfixable. I now have a new one. But the content of the E-drive is most propably for ever lost. Causualties? All my AoE - but worse, almost all of my Civ2 files (ca. 600 MB). Right now I have only following scenarios, which have been installed in my MGE copy: A what-if-Germany-had-won-WW2-scenario, Jesús Muñoz' 30years war, Spanish Pride by Jesùs Balsinde, Mike Jeszenka's 7 Year's War, One about the Arab conquests, Falkland War, and my own alteration to the WW79 scenario.
Everything else is lost.
All my finished and unfinished scenario files, everything, simply everything. The only thing I can recover are the files for my newest scenario, "Sons of Heracles" which I herewith ask for from my playtesters, and two maps that were just sent to me. All other files, simply everything is lost, forever.

Right now I'm not sure what to do. I have lost my Civ2 archive, some of the stuff I can't recover because I took it from sites not existing anymore etc.
All finished files for Ifriqiya (another one of my maybe upcoming projects) which are the rules file and a good number of graphics I spent hours on are gone.
Somehow makes one laugh, doesen't it? Gone forever... But the only thing I'm angry about is that I wasted so much time on all this.
Old March 11, 2001, 15:29   #2
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

If you need, i have some of your old files. Just ask...
Old March 11, 2001, 15:39   #3
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 08:12
Wasted time? I do not think so
Old March 11, 2001, 15:41   #4
Stefan Härtel
King

Prometeus: What files do you have?

Jay Bee: I was reffering to those things I made that were only on my hard drive, like the graphics for Ifriqiya etc. Wether the rest was wasted time I cannot judge.
Old March 11, 2001, 15:49   #5
Jay Bee
staff

Oh, but I can. It wasn't. You shouldn't give up. I walked that road once before. Had I given up, there would be no Spanish site, the CSC would have like 90-100 less scenarios, no Eldorado, no Cuba, no Celts & Iberians, etc... I would have missed so much fun
Old March 11, 2001, 17:22   #6
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 23:12
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Stefan: Sorry to hear that. The frustration is incredible, I'm sure. If you can possibly swing it, I highly recommend you purchase TWO hard drives as a replacement. Then be sure to regularly copy everything over to the second hard drive. If you have a CDR, it's worth burning everything onto a CD at least once a year. The web is another safe repository. Create a "holding" folder and periodically dump stuff there. I can resend those emails containing ancient pix, if you'd like.
Old March 11, 2001, 17:48   #7
BeBro
Emperor

Umm, yes Stefan, that is sad to hear. Such a thing is really demotivating, but I agree with JayBee: Don´t give up! Since "Sons of Heracles" isn´t lost you´ve something to make a new beginning. I don´t know if this helps you much now, but in the end I look optimistically forward - to your next scenario
Old March 11, 2001, 18:49   #8
Paul Hanson
King

This happened to me about a year ago, due to an accident while formatting a new hard disk (I formatted the partition with my Civ2 files on it), so I understand how Stefan feels. It`s not pleasant to lose all your scenarios, both downloaded and your own works, and the only thing you can do is ride it through and start again. It`s tough, but it`s not the end of the world.
Old March 11, 2001, 19:11   #9
Squonk

Poor Stefan.
if it was deleted,
and wasn't used anywhere,
so that you could get it back,
I can try to find the Elamite.
But that's the only thing I can do.
Sorry! I've forgotten to call back
aunt Grazyna's action!

Old March 11, 2001, 19:21   #10
Jay Bee
staff

Hey Skunk!

I do not know if you will ever read this but... what are you waiting for to start posting to the Spanish Civ Forum?

Old March 11, 2001, 21:08   #11
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:12
Stefan, I just rebuilt my scenario collection after a similar incedent. I have all your previous scenarios still in the zip files(which I always keep ). I'll send SoH right away. I have over 150 scenarios on file now, so if you want I'll make my lazy self make a list of them so you can tell me if you want them. Tha AoE site still has a lot of the stuff up that it had before. What exactly went wrong with you e-mail? You should consider getting a CD burner, so your work can never be lost.

------------------
All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
Old March 11, 2001, 23:46   #12
MagyarCrusader

Pah, you call that bad! About 2 weeks ago I must have downloaded a virus or something, because my computer crashes every 10 minutes, I kid you not! The only thing that doesn't crash is Age of Empires (a microsoft program, go figure...)

------------------
"There is no more illustrious history than the history of the Magyar Nation... The whole civilized world is indebted to Magyarland for its historic deeds."
-Theodore Roosevelt, to the Hungarian Parliament,
April 2, 1910

Old March 12, 2001, 10:18   #13
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

The entire aghlabid chronology i posted you, Stefan.
Old March 12, 2001, 14:20   #14
Stefan Härtel
King

quote:

Oh, but I can. It wasn't. You shouldn't give up. I walked that road once before. Had I given up,
there would be no Spanish site, the CSC would have like 90-100 less scenarios, no Eldorado, no
Cuba, no Celts & Iberians, etc... I would have missed so much fun

You're right.. I shouldn't give up.

quote:

Stefan: Sorry to hear that. The frustration is incredible, I'm sure. If you can possibly swing it, I
highly recommend you purchase TWO hard drives as a replacement. Then be sure to regularly
copy everything over to the second hard drive. If you have a CDR, it's worth burning everything
onto a CD at least once a year. The web is another safe repository. Create a "holding" folder and
periodically dump stuff there. I can resend those emails containing ancient pix, if you'd like

I should still have the pix on another drive. You see, I have three hard drives, and the one with the Civ2 files was the one I was sure that wouldn't crash...

quote:

Umm, yes Stefan, that is sad to hear. Such a thing is really demotivating, but I agree with
JayBee: Don´t give up! Since "Sons of Heracles" isn´t lost you´ve something to make a new
beginning. I don´t know if this helps you much now, but in the end I look optimistically forward -
to your next scenario

Allright, I'll upload the "preview" version of SoH tonite, it will be the temporary fina file, I will replace the graphics sometime later. I'll post the URL here then.

quote:

This happened to me about a year ago, due to an accident while formatting a new hard disk (I
formatted the partition with my Civ2 files on it), so I understand how Stefan feels. It`s not
pleasant to lose all your scenarios, both downloaded and your own works, and the only thing you
can do is ride it through and start again. It`s tough, but it`s not the end of the world.

Yeah, really seems like it...

quote:

Poor Stefan.
if it was deleted,
and wasn't used anywhere,
so that you could get it back,
I can try to find the Elamite.
But that's the only thing I can do.
Sorry! I've forgotten to call back
aunt Grazyna's action!

Well... thanks but the Elamite is inside my Darius 2.2 scenario... and that was recently proclaimed "Scenario of the month" on the Civ2-Paradise

quote:

Stefan, I just rebuilt my scenario collection after a similar incedent. I have all your previous
scenarios still in the zip files(which I always keep ). I'll send SoH right away. I have over 150
scenarios on file now, so if you want I'll make my lazy self make a list of them so you can tell
me if you want them. Tha AoE site still has a lot of the stuff up that it had before. What exactly
went wrong with you e-mail? You should consider getting a CD burner, so your work can never be
lost.

Hmm... my mail is allright, I just can't really reach the attachments I sent to others... but I received your mail, thanx a lot! I'll do my best to get a grip on my old ones...

quote:

Pah, you call that bad! About 2 weeks ago I must have downloaded a virus or something,
because my computer crashes every 10 minutes, I kid you not! The only thing that doesn't crash
is Age of Empires (a microsoft program, go figure...)

I have the feeling that was a virus too...

quote:

The entire aghlabid chronology i posted you, Stefan.

I still have that...
Old March 12, 2001, 17:06   #15
Squonk

Well... thanks but the Elamite is inside my Darius 2.2 scenario...

I thought it may be like that.
But was too lazy to check it.

and that was recently proclaimed
"Scenario of the month" on the Civ2-Paradise

Congratulations.

---

Hey Skunk!

ha ha ha
What a sense of humour.
I tried to change my apolyton name anyway.
I registered again, but after month or so,
I still haven't received the password.

I do not know if you will ever read this but...
what are you waiting for to start posting to
the Spanish Civ Forum?

Was this message to me?
Anyway, you are on my black list
and aunt Grazyna is sharpening her knifes.

Old March 12, 2001, 17:11   #16
Jay Bee
staff

quote:

Originally posted by Squonk on 03-12-2001 04:06 PMAnyway, you are on my black list
and aunt Grazyna is sharpening her knifes.

Oh please, don't frighten me, you know I'm very sensitive! It was you, not me, who killed the messenger
Old March 13, 2001, 00:11   #17
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Ya don't laugh, you cry right dude?
Old March 13, 2001, 18:38   #18
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

The Ziggurat is back up, so you should be able to download its contents before it goes down again.

------------------
St. Leo
http://www.sidgames.com/hosted/ziggurat/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
Old March 13, 2001, 19:06   #19
WarVoid
King

Local Time: 06:12
That's terrible, Stefan. I had the same thing happen to me a while back. It really sucks.

Ifriqiya?! That's Arabic for Africa....