Old November 27, 2003, 20:35   #1
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Oh my God, everything has gone wrong!
Today, without warning, without reason, my employers dismissed me from my position. I passed my first month review with flying colours and they have been in high praise of my work and efficiency. But in the past 48 hours everything went awry. I was psychologically abused by the training manager, claiming that I was socially inept and needed therapy and they would not employ me if he was there. I was dismayed and very upset. I resolved this with my manager yesterday, but today, they sacked me for no reason. Tomorrow I am speaking to my agency. I want my satisfaction as this is blatant wrongful dismissal.
Old November 27, 2003, 20:39   #2
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 09:21
That sucks!

What did you do?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 27, 2003, 20:40   #3
Provost Harrison
Deity

Nothing, I was brilliant at my job, they claimed I couldn't get along with people, although I never had a problem. That is why I am going to seek legal advice tomorrow.

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 27, 2003, 20:40   #4
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 13:21
I have never been through a wrongful dismissal thing. What rewards would you get?
If the only thing you gain is being put back...Then just back off. Being put back after such a nasty event w
ill only likely put you on the top of the list of a layoff.
If you get money or (even better) can collapse their company, then by all means go ahead!
Old November 27, 2003, 20:42   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:21
Sorry to hear that, PH.
Old November 27, 2003, 20:42   #6
Provost Harrison
Deity

CT, it is my name clearing I want. They have wronged me, and they have wronged my name and potentially seriously jeopardised my career. This looks like a massive blemish on my record when I can't explain (because I don't know) why I was dismissed from this position, and no reference offered or anything.

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 27, 2003, 20:43   #7
Provost Harrison
Deity

Dismissal for no reason and they have offered to pay me until the end of the year...something seems very fishy. But compared to the damage they could have caused, that money is a pittance.

Old November 27, 2003, 20:48   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

May the spirit of Lenin be with you in your sacred struggle against these capitalist pigs
Old November 27, 2003, 20:48   #9
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Concern for your name in your chosen field is very understandable. It's not like a McJob you can simply leave off your resume, is it?
Old November 27, 2003, 20:48   #10
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 09:21
Quote:
Dismissal for no reason and they have offered to pay me until the end of the year.
Yeah, you should at least get your money that they promised to pay you.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 27, 2003, 20:53   #11
Provost Harrison
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
Dismissal for no reason and they have offered to pay me until the end of the year.
Yeah, you should at least get your money that they promised to pay you.
They've given me almost double my notice periods worth. I think they are trying to pay me off. You see, they have no real reason for dismissal, and if they don't prove this within 14 days of dismissal, they are automatically culpable. The person who has to demand this proof is me. In other words, I have them by the knackers because I am under contract. And another point, they never gave me my pay rise of nearly £2000 a year, which after a month of employment they are contractually obliged to do. They are so far in the wrong you wouldn't believe.
Old November 27, 2003, 21:04   #12
Provost Harrison
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Concern for your name in your chosen field is very understandable. It's not like a McJob you can simply leave off your resume, is it?
It's a grave matter, and the outcome of the rest of my life, and my honour, depend on it. I am prepared to go all the way to court on this one. Fortunately I reckon I have them at my advantage now.
Old November 27, 2003, 21:08   #13
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 15:21
Over here, it's illegal to terminate a labor contract without a good reason, or even terminate it immediately.

I'm sure the UK has similar labor laws, and that you can claim a fair compensation/restoration.

Good luck!
Old November 27, 2003, 21:11   #14
Provost Harrison
Deity

Zop, as I have said, they have to provide me with good reason within 14 days, written and signed. If they fail, they are automatically guilty of wrongful dismissal under British law. They have acted illegally.

Old November 27, 2003, 21:15   #15
notyoueither
Deity

There is no probationary period in the UK?

It's 90 days here, default, for most jobs. You can be released without cause or compensation. You mentioned 'contract' though. Not sure what effect the terms of a contract would have.
Old November 27, 2003, 21:53   #16
Provost Harrison
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
There is no probationary period in the UK?

It's 90 days here, default, for most jobs. You can be released without cause or compensation. You mentioned 'contract' though. Not sure what effect the terms of a contract would have.
One month probationary period. They have exceeded that long since...
Old November 27, 2003, 22:10   #17
Ned
King

Local Time: 05:21
It would be interesting to know why your training manager would suddenly say things like that to you.
Old November 27, 2003, 22:20   #18
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Just reading the facts without knowing the whole situation and context it reads as a right stinker. Its almost incredulous (although not quite, given how I was shafted by my last permanent employer).

I think you are on the right track in seeking legal advice. Making any assumptions about your legal position is a dangerous thing to do. You'd have thought your credit card position would have been laughable, but unfortunately not. Knowledge is power, and if you know your rights and employment law more than them you are in a very strong position.

Where to now then? Going back to Reckitt Benckeiser (sic)?
Old November 27, 2003, 22:28   #19
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 15:21
The only reason I could see for such a sudden change in tone in that you had sex with your boss's wife. It didn't happen did it ?

Otherwise, your situation reminds me of Oerdin's. He was basically fired because some assholish big shot in the company used him as a scapegoat. One can imagine some boss of yours has done a blunder, and is trying to make you responsible for it
Old November 27, 2003, 22:34   #20
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
It would be interesting to know why your training manager would suddenly say things like that to you.
When directly confronted I think a lot of employers tell bald-faced lies if they don't have a good reason.

I went into a salary review and was told there wasn't enough money to increase my salary. Times were tough. The attractive girl who had gone in before me had been awarded a $2,000/year pay rise. I also asked why persons with less experience and aptitude for the role I was doing were being paid more than me (2 years experience and professional exam passes vs 6 months experience and no study). The firm said they weren't being paid more, I must have been mistaken. I named the two girls who I was explicitly refering to. His face went red and he shuffled his papers a bit, feigning to look at their salary figure. A moment later he said "Frankly they do a better job than you". Which was laughable given that on my previous few job reviews manager had graded my work as excellent and said that I was "a valuable asset of the team" and that I was "The rising star of auditing". I showed him photocopies of my reviews proving such comments. He didn't have anything to say except that if I failed my upcoming exams I would not be kept on (a contractual get out clause for them). I failed one of the six exams by 1%. BY then it didn't matter because I had already resigned instead.

Several people I know jumped/were pushed at and around the same time and were given similar phoney excuses.
Old November 27, 2003, 22:43   #21
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 10:21
it's bad. hope things get right for you, Rich.
Old November 27, 2003, 22:57   #22
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 08:21
You should ask Laz to help you plan a fitting revenge.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old November 27, 2003, 23:01   #23
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:21
It sounds like somebody who is in a higher position than you stabbed you in the back, Rich. Nasty, nasty, stuff.
Old November 28, 2003, 05:40   #24
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

PH - you should get proper advice just to be sure. Are you in a union (a competent one)? If so use them, that's what the subscription is for.

Hold out - make them say why they dismissed you then, when it doesn't stack up try and force a settlement (out of court) which will include appropriate payment and an undertaking to provide a reference (it only needs to confirm the period you worked for them to avoid a serious problem). Make sure you know the maximum you would get through a tribunal case so you know how far you can push them (they aren't going to want legal costs and bad press if they can come to a cheaper agreed solution).

It would strengthen your position if you can find out why they want rid of you. Does someone have it in for you (are you so good you have made someone uncomfortable)? Are they in financial trouble? Do they want to outsource or transfer the work you have been doing? What is the company's personnel history like? Have they done this sort of thing to others in the past? Try and find out as much as you can - it will matter if you have to fight a claim.
Old November 28, 2003, 05:59   #25
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 08:21
Ever watch American Beauty, Rich?

Sorry to hear about your dismissal.

Hope things brighten up especially since you were considereing moving to the coast.
Old November 28, 2003, 06:01   #26
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 23:21
I worked for one of the worst Thatcherite councils in Britain, Westminster, and this sounds right out of their managerial handbook. People like this have no regard for employment law or employee rights and should pay the consequences.

Unleash the dogs of law, P.H., and may the Work Force be with you.

Best of luck, and do not let this affect your self-confidence- we all luvs you here.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old November 28, 2003, 06:07   #27
aaglo
King

Local Time: 16:21
Damn, that sucks, PH.

Go and grab them employers by the balls.
Old November 28, 2003, 06:56   #28
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

You said that you'd go to see your agency about this? Were you working on a temporary basis then? Several details don't sound as if you were, but if you were then I'm afraid you're pissing up a rope here.
If you have a contractual agreement with your former employers then stick it to 'em! The fact that they have paid you off (even such a risible sum) means a lot because they wouldn't have done that if they were sacking you. On the other hand, you can't be laid off without notice. I obviously can't read your contract, but they would appear to have a terrible position as far as employment law is concerned from what you have told us. Make a stink about it! - they may be less likely to do it to other unfortunates in future. If you're going to go down, then take the training manager with you!
Old November 28, 2003, 06:59   #29
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

What exactly was your role in this company
Old November 28, 2003, 07:15   #30
C0ckney
King

i would be a little cautious about the wrongful dismisal route, while it may be the right thing to do, it could mark you out as a trouble-maker to future employers. especially if this is a well known and respected company in your field.

get some proper legal advice, especially about your contract, a threaterning letter from a solicitor can go a long way, you might be able to force them into giving a reference and a decent pay-off if you promise to avoid legal action.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton