Local Date: November 2, 2010
Good luck next Wednesday.
Old December 2, 2003, 21:54   #93
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:21
Sheesh...no matter what the cause or outcome, it seems quite an unprofessional way to do things.
I wish you the best...
Perhaps you should move here and capitalize on your accent and exotic nature? Many of your quirks may be written off as mere British eccentricities?

My uncle is a molecular biologist of rather high standing...maybe he can help you?
never neglectful, never indulgent.
Old December 2, 2003, 23:45   #94
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
chegitz, that avatar...
I think he's trying some sublimal message thing.
Old December 2, 2003, 23:58   #95
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 13:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison

Regulatory Compliance Officer. I was responsible for releasing batches and made sure that their manufacture was up to GMP standards, and maintaining GMP critical systems.

The strange thing is, I thought I was going to have the downer to end all downers with this 'rejection'. But it didn't, it gave me strength. I have been getting my story together, I have sent letters (recorded delivery) demanding in writing (which I was not given) the reason for my dismissal. They have given me some flimsy excuse about 'not fitting in' with no examples of how, nothing quoted or no complaints.
Any inclination that they might have been looking to have some batch(es) released that you would not have otherwise released. i.e. do they have offgrade product they want out the door that they suspected you wouldn't play ball with them on.

Smells fishy. If they have dirty laundry last thing they want to do is screw the regulaotry guy.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old December 3, 2003, 05:14   #96
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 09:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
In most of America the law is that employers are "at will" employers who can fire their people at will. Of course if you've worked there for more then 90 days the bastards have to pay for you unemployment benifets and possibly a severence package but that's it.

This is not true. In most, if not all states, it is illegal to terminate a person without causation.However the burden of proof falls to the employee to prove that they were fired without cause. It should be noted that an employer can be sued even under a probationary period for wrongful termination under certain cercumstances. (most of these involve either a hostile working enviroment, wistleblowing, or harrasment of some sort,) However I am not a lawyer and my statements Should not be interpreted as legal advice in any way, shape or form.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old December 3, 2003, 11:15   #97
Caligastia
Emperor

Good luck with the interview PH. What did the lawyer at the Citizen's Advice Bureau say?
Old December 3, 2003, 14:42   #98
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:21
Still haven't got to see one, there were loads of people so I am trying again tomorrow. I will find out.

Well I had never come across anything particularly dodgy that would need releasing, although I do know of some 'interesting' things

Well as I say, I am just worried for the future once more. I never thought I would be back in a situation like this, but here I am...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old December 3, 2003, 14:45   #99
Japher
Emperor

They probably thought you would be to much of a perfectionist and wouldn't release flagged lots ever!

We are looking for a Director of QA and would really like someone who'd let us release anything we want, even Kool Aid in vials!...
Old December 3, 2003, 14:54   #100
Provost Harrison
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
They probably thought you would be to much of a perfectionist and wouldn't release flagged lots ever!

We are looking for a Director of QA and would really like someone who'd let us release anything we want, even Kool Aid in vials!...
Believe me, I have come across a QA manager/QP like that - he would release absolutely anything even if out of spec...I would have liked to have seen him explain himself in an FDA audit
Old December 3, 2003, 19:32   #101
Solly
Emperor

Again, all I have to say it, keep us informed.

Cheers pal. See you in two weeks..
Old December 4, 2003, 13:13   #102
Solly
Emperor

bump
Old December 4, 2003, 14:04   #103
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:21
Sorry to hear about that Rich. Hope it turns out for the best.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old December 5, 2003, 06:52   #104
Solly
Emperor

bump
Old December 7, 2003, 18:43   #105
Provost Harrison
Deity

Well if this job works out on Wednesday (they have been after me for a couple of months, just that they had to suspend the job) then even without legal recourse all this may have worked out for the best. I get a month off on full pay, I get the move I have been after to a higher paid job...IF wednesday comes off (which I feel fairly confident about seeing as they have tried to get hold of me again, coincidentally just after I have departed from my previous job from just before I started it). So wish me luck. If it works out this will have been a bad situation that put me in a better position than I was before plus a nice long christmas break

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old December 7, 2003, 18:59   #106
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Break a leg!
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 7, 2003, 19:13   #107
Provost Harrison
Deity

Actually this position got delayed because my potential boss broke her leg. Perhaps it is an omen

Old December 7, 2003, 23:42   #108
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:21
Break both legs, then
Old December 9, 2003, 14:05   #109
Provost Harrison
Deity

Hehe.

The funny thing is, I have also been offered my previous job back (not the one I have just been dismissed from but the one I left) which is quite funny At least I won't be unemployed for too long either way, but I do have a concern why companies are discriminating against me because of my personality. I have recently had feedback from another interview I had and although they thought I was high competent they didn't feel me suitable because of how I would fit into their team. I am a decent bloke...why am I the victim of this bullsh*t?

Old December 9, 2003, 14:25   #110
Solly
Emperor

Sometimes you can be rather intense and demanding of people's time.

Like me, you seem also to struggle sometimes with understanding people can be different and have failings of their own that they either aren't aware of, can't do anything about, or are happy to accept.
Old December 9, 2003, 14:31   #111
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 08:21
I think its the oxbridge thing. So just how snobby is your accent?
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old December 9, 2003, 15:02   #112
Provost Harrison
Deity

Both you and Stew are correct. My accent is such a mish-mash nowadays after how many people I know. I think there is a lot of resentment over my intelligence, call me arrogant if you must.

I acknowledge your point Stew, but I let people be who they are. I don't appreciate it when people are harsh on me. In many ways I just wish people would let me get on with my job if they don't like me, and I won't make their life difficult. But in my past employment (Reckitt Benckiser, Academic Dept. of Medicine), my work relationships have been excellent. I wouldn't have considered myself to have made any enemies in the past few years of work. There are people who I haven't got along with, there are always clashes of personality but I am not going to let that get in the way of my job...other people generally tend to be far more alarmed about these people than I am. Reckitt's may have had some problems in terms of staff treatment, but I can honestly say that those last two days at Novartis make 13 months at Reckitt Benckiser seem like absolute bliss.

This leaves me with concerns over any jobs I get. I would go back to Reckitt's because of the experience and good personal relationships that I have there. On the other hand, the pay was not fantastic and it would seem like a step backwards.

All I want is acknowledgement, and I feel that I have had that with my previous employers wanting to reemploy me. But I am concerned that people are being judgemental against me because of who I am. I am not stupid, I can be intellectual and aloof. But whatever that may imply does not take into account my inner intentions. I am helpful, friendly and kind and did nothing but try and get along with other people and aid them in their jobs. I never sat in judgement of anyone, they sat in judgement of me. And I was the one ousted. This is why I feel the need to pursue this further. I was treated very unfairly. I don't judge other people on first impressions - I don't expect people to do likewise with me. But I don't understand how in 8 weeks they could be so utterly nasty yet at my workplace before that I was well respected and trusted? I never even got a fair chance.

Old December 9, 2003, 15:06   #113
Japher
Emperor

The two companies I have worked at and the others I have visited and worked with all seem to have employees who appear to have their thumbs up their arses but think they are god for having put it their; QA especially

Perhaps you weren't arrogant enough. Sometimes accomplishment needs to be thrown in the faces of others to receive the merit for it.

Anyway, you should have no problem finding a job in your field, and I wouldn't say every company has as much "drama" as Novartis seemed to. Such things are generally dependent on your department and co-workers. I keep my nose down.
Old December 9, 2003, 15:28   #114
Provost Harrison
Deity

It just seems so mad. I am an enthusiastic kind of person. If I am going to do a job, I want to do it damn well. I want to know it inside out and what other people do to, so I can get the most out. I dot every i and cross every t. There is never a stone left unturned. Sometimes I may not be the most intuitive of people when it comes to people and their silent bad attitudes. I am sick of having to feel like I should apologise for who I am because GUESS WHAT! I AM WHO I AM! LIVE WITH IT! If you want someone who is professional, courteous and perfectionistic, guess what, you've come to the right man. I will not let you down and I will do the job like you will never believe. Just respect me for what I do and who I am. Is this such a big request?

Old December 9, 2003, 15:29   #115
Caligastia
Emperor

no
Old December 9, 2003, 15:31   #116
Provost Harrison
Deity

I don't lack confidence in my work either. When I have to tackle a bull by the horns, I'll be damned if I won't. But despite my brilliance, employers seem to find something to pick me up about and reject me (and I am not being arrogant, I am being realistic - Novartis couldn't find a single technical fault, but they still made some vague excuse regarding my personality which to this day they have not explained properly, and booted me)

Old December 9, 2003, 15:47   #117
Theben
Deity

Well, you describe yourself as 'aloof', and 'arrogant' wrt your intellect. Those put together could cause others to feel that you consider yourself superior to them. Whether or not that's true, you don't want to project that into a group you work with. Perhaps you did your job well, but you caused several others to perform poorly. And that's why they wanted you gone.

Of course that's merely conjecture; and even if so a manager should've pointed out to you how you rubbed others the wrong way. It would've been a simple enough problem to have fixed. After all, there's 216 different types of 'attitude', so the management needs to know how to get different people to work together. That IS their job.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old December 9, 2003, 15:48   #118
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 15:21
_Swear somethimes
_Make jokes
_Bust the balls of someone (always in good humour)

and success is waiting around the corner!
or not who knows.
Old December 9, 2003, 15:49   #119
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 15:21
Besides "feeling superior" is a crappy defense mechanism against insecurity.

You should KNOW you are!
Take no prisoners
Old December 9, 2003, 15:53   #120
Provost Harrison
Deity

I have been accused of being arrogant in the past until the person actually talks to me.