Old December 12, 2003, 05:18   #181
Uncle Sparky
NationStates
King

Local Time: 08:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Having sat in boardrooms and on management committees, I can assure you that some managers are complete twits that will hire & fire consistently for all the wrong reasons. Some of them, especially the long lived ones have an unfortunately knack for creating whatever evidence they require to dismiss you. No one performs with 100% efficiency 100% of the time; a twit/manager can extrapolate whatever "shortcomings" you have to make you look unemployable.

I would suggest you insist upon a "letter of reference" from them. I'm not sure how British laws work, but in Canada their reaction to that can definately help your cause if you decide to sue.

That's why I belong to three unions.
Old December 12, 2003, 05:37   #182
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 14:21
Three! Respect is due, comrade.
Old December 12, 2003, 06:08   #183
Rogan Josh
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Theben
We've all been unemployed for a length in the past.
No we haven't. But I have applied for a lot of jobs that I didn't get. I remember once going for an interview at Goldman-Sachs (a big Merchant Bank). They had clearly fogotten that I was coming, even though I had to take the train down from Scotland to London. So they pulled this arrogant twit trader off the floor to interview me. He was extreemly antagonistic, to the point of insulting (when I said I wanted to be a researcher rather than a trader he called me a 'conehead'). I was taking it on the chin because I wanted to get the job (although in my heart of hearts I didn't realy want it) and didn't let him rile me. But the level of stupid question he was asking me just displayed such incompetence that I realised I didn't want to work for this bank anyway.

I told him so, got up and left.

So remember, you are interviewing them too.
Old December 12, 2003, 07:26   #184
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Thankyou people, this stuff has been good. I definitely played the interview well. They played it very informal so I did likewise. The chemistry seemed to be good. But there is a point that the difference in paying me and paying the fresh graduate could be a matter of £5000 difference. Fact is I'm returning to a job where I am earning less than he is. I feel in technical positions I have been up against this 'blank canvass' thing and they have gone for the fresh graduate. I am certainly not going to play dumb and I have huge amounts of experience in my field. Hell, since my old department got it's finger out of it's arse at last, a published researcher.

So my question is, where would I be suited? I seem to be able to handle the more basic level jobs with ease. I would like a challenge but there seem to be few jobs that can actually provide that.

Laz, I've been getting feedback from the interviewers, but the feedback I get seems to be fairly random from interview to interview.

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old December 12, 2003, 08:56   #185
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 09:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Three! Respect is due, comrade.
And dues are due, too. x3.

Quote:
No we haven't.
Okay, a good number of us have. Maybe your time hasn't come yet.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old December 12, 2003, 13:48   #186
Provost Harrison
Deity

Also note - I am not particularly materialistic. As I have said I just want my own life. But this problem seems to be endemic to people of my own age. The government has been pushing people into science education on the promise there are loads of jobs and opportunities there. And it has been nothing but a lie. Compared to other sectors, the pay is poor, and the jobs seem to be few and far between. Returning to Reckitts I realise just what a pool of talent there is at my age - brilliant minds completely underutilised.

But I have been to lunch with my colleagues today discussing what is the plan. They are a good bunch of people and I get along really well with them. These assertions that I can't get along in a team and stuff are complete bullsh*t in fact. In fact I am very pleased I am returning in many ways because I like the people there. And the general concensus has been that Grimsby is full of sh*theads...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old December 12, 2003, 13:54   #187
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 13:21
PH, I think if your arrogant QA is perfect for you. Come to America! There are plenty of QA positions, wanting to be filled with arrogant arseholes
Old December 12, 2003, 14:04   #188
Provost Harrison
Deity

I think arrogant is harsh. Confident and competent would be a fairer description. I don't just talk the talk, I can walk the walk as well.

That is a good idea though Japher, I think I have the kind of work ethic that would probably go down well there, and I can run QA things very well because in terms of compliance and the associated efficiency and organisation, I verge on OCD

Old December 12, 2003, 14:25   #189
Japher
Emperor

Yeah, didn't mean to be harsh. Here, all the QA are the most pompous folk you'd meet. Yet, they have to be. I sit amongst the QA folk, and they have to make judgement calls all the time, so you need to be sure of yourself and your skills.
Old December 12, 2003, 15:23   #190
Provost Harrison
Deity

I know what you mean Japher I know they can be arrogant gits myself. But I just play along with them, it can be easier.

Old December 12, 2003, 16:01   #191
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Rich, you seem resistenct on becomming a Yank. You should consider it, seriously. Remember, with that sexy Brit accent, you'd have scads of chicks wanting to snuggle up to you. Haven't you seen, Love, Seriously?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 12, 2003, 16:04   #192
Provost Harrison
Deity

Love, Actually?

Old December 12, 2003, 16:07   #193
Provost Harrison
Deity

It wouldn't be a bad idea, but it sounds like a minefield. Finding the job, green cards and all that crap...

Old December 12, 2003, 16:34   #194
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

You're educated and you're a Brit, so why should getting a green card be that much of a problem? And you'd have the same problems finding a job here as in the UK.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old December 12, 2003, 17:18   #195
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

In order to get a green card (outside of the lottery) you have to prove you have skills that americans dont possess. If you dont have a PhD its virtually impossible without a company requiring your services.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old January 1, 2004, 21:04   #196
Evil Knevil
Prince

*bump*

How are you now, Rich?

I lost my job in November, but I haven't been 'poly to complain about it. I'm still unemployed and despairing at finding a job. You?
Old January 1, 2004, 22:01   #197
Provost Harrison
Deity

Well I have my old job back now (before I went to Novartis) which is cool because the people are a lot cooler anyway and the work is more interesting. Only the pay isn't as good...but then again I have shorter hours and a fraction of the commute so it has worked out OK really. I am just stepping back, continuing the job I was at before (straight back into it, hardly like I'd been away - well, it was only 10 weeks).

So getting on with stuff. Can't grumble really...just need a plan. And as I said, this whole business was actually rather lucrative in the end...

Old January 1, 2004, 22:04   #198
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
You're educated and you're a Brit, so why should getting a green card be that much of a problem?
LOOOOONG line. It took my uncle's family (him and his wife are both doctors, the eldest daughter graduated from dental school, the youngest daughter graduated from law school, and the son is in a good medical school) TWELVE years to get a green card.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 1, 2004, 22:10   #199
Provost Harrison
Deity

Exactly Imran...more hassle than it is worth...

Old January 1, 2004, 22:12   #200
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Oh, and I forgot to add, in addition to ALL that skill, they have plenty of family in the states .

It is easier for some of my family in Pakistan, who aren't as skilled to get in.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old January 1, 2004, 22:15   #201
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
You're educated and you're a Brit, so why should getting a green card be that much of a problem?
LOOOOONG line. It took my uncle's family (him and his wife are both doctors, the eldest daughter graduated from dental school, the youngest daughter graduated from law school, and the son is in a good medical school) TWELVE years to get a green card.
Which country was your uncle emigrating from? I'd imagine that your home nationality can make a big difference to how the application is processed even if it doesn't change the application criteria.
Old January 1, 2004, 22:15   #202
Provost Harrison
Deity

Oh I have family in the States, that isn't a problem (fortunately my dad comes from a big family, many of which have emigrated )

Old January 1, 2004, 22:16   #203
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Which country was your uncle emigrating from?
BRITAIN! Which is why I brought it up!
Old January 1, 2004, 22:18   #204
Dauphin
Deity

My dad never got a green card, he never really wanted to become a US citizen, but he did work under some visa or other in the US during the 70s and again in the 80s. The thing that made him leave first time around was that the US government wanted to draft him for the Vietnam war if he stayed beyond a certain length of time (2 years I think it was).
Old January 1, 2004, 22:20   #205
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Even though they have their green card, they are waiting to come over. As I said the son is in medical school in London, and that is much cheaper than it would be in the states .
Old January 1, 2004, 22:21   #206
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
As I said the son is in medical school in London, and that is much cheaper than it would be in the states .
Kings College by any chance?
Old January 1, 2004, 22:51   #207
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:21
Glad to hear you got a bounce your way, PH. Have a better 2004.
Old January 1, 2004, 23:31   #208
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Kings College by any chance?
I believe you've got it .
Old January 2, 2004, 01:26   #209
devilmunchkin
Warlord

i'm glad you have something provost. you have...a starting point..
"Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy
Old January 2, 2004, 06:00   #210
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:21
Hi dm, how you doin'?