Old June 6, 2000, 17:57   #31
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:03
Local Date: October 30, 2010
If you aren't the host... it's easy. Move a unit into a city that is not it's home. When it's the turn of the person right in front of you, go into your city menu and select the unit. Just as it is switching to your turn, rehome the unit. It will then be a non unit. You can read all about this, and many other tricks in my cheat thread in the Civ 3 section

Added later...
Damn... your fast Xin
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Ming (edited June 06, 2000).]</font>
Old June 6, 2000, 22:51   #32
berzerker

RAH - LOL! I guess when cheating was a novelty it was 'simply irresistable'...
But winning without cheating is so much better than having to cheat.

Old June 7, 2000, 07:17   #33
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Actually the funny part is, that except for the two PC trick and the non-unit thing, none of us considered any of the other early tricks cheating. We just agreed that we won't use those FEATURES in games that we played.

Now the list is so long. I actually used to use passwords, but now I don't bother.

RAH
Old June 8, 2000, 14:01   #34
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

My particular favorite was when we discovered you could give a unit back and forth during your turn to create a unit with infinite movement. It was really useful for sneaking a diplo past somebodies line so you could bribe their city. I'm glad that it is considered a cheat and we don't do that anymore
Old June 9, 2000, 17:16   #35
vlad
King

Local Time: 16:03
War I thought I was the only one with drunk ship captains In a big game I am very naval heavy and I lose 2-4 ships everytime,some even with a warrior onboard.I gamble heavily when I play,when it works its much kewler than a cheat,but as often as it fails I think the cheats would be much easier.LOL
Old June 10, 2000, 00:00   #36
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:03
One thing i do is keep the saves of a paricular game, ie one which i know will be played again, so my usual crowd and save after each session. The primary reason for this is i love to go back after the game is over completely and pick apart my opponents strategy and see where my mistakes came from.

I have to admit that every once in awhile i peek at a map if i know that the game will never be continued.... but with my usual partners, i don't bother as i know that we will continue in a couple of days time. I think the curiosity of how my neighbor is doing gets the better of me especially in the early days before i found a good core group of players who were dedicated to finishing games. personally i can't remember where anything is after an hour anyways so in any of those early games, it made no difference especially since 3/4 of them were never continued anyways.

The only bad thing for me about this site, is that i learned a whole bunch of tricks/cheats, that i never new existed.... now while i don't use them although i have knowledge of them, it disappointed me greatly that there were so many ways to cheat at this game, be it SP or MP

Its no wonder i have no records, i take chances with triremes and if they sink, well dammit the captain was drunk at the helm

besides even the greatest of civilizations had the odd blunder...
Old June 11, 2000, 21:54   #37
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:03
vlad...... yes i believe that in some games my ships are all named VALDEZ.... and the poor waterfoul..... not to happy with my exploits
Old June 12, 2000, 23:20   #38
Plato

I'm interested to hear what Berzerker learned about his opponents style.

Old June 13, 2000, 07:13   #39
berzerker

Not sure what you mean, strategies vary...
However, I'm not fond of the technique of bribing cities as a substitute for warfare.

Old June 13, 2000, 08:54   #40
Ming
lifer
Retired

I agree with Berzerker... bribing cities just seems to take the fun out of the game. 99% of the games I play now are non bribe cities.
Units are fair game, but not cities. I have found games like this to be far more enjoyable, and more balanced
Old June 13, 2000, 08:59   #41
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hubba hubba!

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old June 13, 2000, 09:13   #42
Alexander's Horse

This thread is a fraud - I see no real confessions here!

Old June 14, 2000, 07:07   #43
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 01:03
Because we all love and respect each other we don't cheat!

I have never passworded my civ. Go ahead and peek and my wrath shall fall upon on you!!!

Carolus

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Carolus Rex (edited June 14, 2000).]</font>
Old June 14, 2000, 08:01   #44
Ming
lifer
Retired

Well AH, I did confess the only time I have really cheated. When MWHC was loading the game on another computer so we could see the full map... That I knew was CHEATING!

The rest of the time, the little grey area bugs or loopholes that we have discovered weren't considered cheating until some people mentioned that they considered them cheats
So it's all a matter of opinion.
That's why a rules discussion before a MP game starts is very important.
I want to win fairly... winning by cheating is kind of a waste of time. If that's what you are into, just play Single Play and activate the cheat menu... then do what you want... At least you won't be cheating honest players
I think the majority of people here feel the same way. We play for the fun of it.
Old June 14, 2000, 09:13   #45
Alexander's Horse

See? None of you really admit to cheating. Its like listening to children's confessions.
Pathetic. Come on, someone be a man and fess up!

Old June 14, 2000, 09:42   #46
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 00:03
I use ****omatic when I play ´Quake´