Old November 28, 2003, 12:57   #1
vee4473
King

Local Time: 08:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
sending citizens back to work after pollution is gone
I may have asked this before, but never found the answer.

One thing that annoys me alot is that when pollution is cleaned from a square, the citizen that was working the square does NOT go back to work, at least not immediately.

You have to go into each city and put him back on the square.

Is there something I am missing? some way to get them to go back to work automatically?
Old November 28, 2003, 13:11   #2
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 09:22
Just go into the city window and click on the tile that the city is on. The city will automatically redistribute everyone.

However, you will have to do it each time something like this happens
Old November 28, 2003, 13:21   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

If it is a metro and does not have a food shortage, I just ignore it. The next turn the gov will put it back in action. This is not effiecent, but this is at the point where the game is nearly over.
If the city will have a shortage, then I will reassign the citizen to the square manually.
Old November 28, 2003, 13:42   #4
pvzh
C3CDG Team Babylon
Warlord

I wish they abstracted polution. Just make it cost some commerce and/or shields to maintain city "clean".
I hate it not only because you need to reassign laborers, but also because frequently you become short by just a few shields to finish current item and that drive me nuts.
Old November 28, 2003, 14:18   #5
vee4473
King

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Just go into the city window and click on the tile that the city is on. The city will automatically redistribute everyone.

However, you will have to do it each time something like this happens
yeah, that's what i do, just wishing i didn't need to
Old November 28, 2003, 20:16   #6
Puma
Warlord

Local Time: 13:22
Quote:
Originally posted by pvzh
I wish they abstracted polution. Just make it cost some commerce and/or shields to maintain city "clean".
I hate it not only because you need to reassign laborers, but also because frequently you become short by just a few shields to finish current item and that drive me nuts.
If they were to abstract it as you suggest, it would be too much like corruption.

I also hate being forced to reassign citizens to cleaned squares ...

To avoid the shield shortage, I usually allow for a few extra shields. For example (late industrial age) if I see a city with about 85 useful shieldsperturn, I set that city to make infantries only (90shields). I proceed to mine some city squares to obtain about 95 useful shieldsperturn. That way, if a square in that city's radius is polluted for only 1 turn, I will not have wasted about 80shields. I have three notes though: 1) I barely ever automate workers 2) when pollution begins to appear every couple of turns, I do not reassign the team of cleaners to other duties but leave them fortified where they finish their cleanup - until they are required again then I use shift+P 3) at this point cities usually have more than enough citizens to work all usable city squares so I dont mind running a food deficit.
Yep, pollution mitigation is one of few Civ3 aspects that I dislike ... and I dislike it a lot.
Old November 30, 2003, 14:13   #7
pvzh
C3CDG Team Babylon
Warlord

To Puma: I too try to arrange some surplus production, but frequently it is not possible.

Making it as corruption waste is not that bad at least less workers to move for player and AI = less micromanagement. That is always good thing.
Besides, it coold be empirewide expense (-X gpt) not city level like corruption/waste.
Old November 30, 2003, 18:23   #8
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 14:22
AFAIK the only way to get the citizens automatically back to work is to use the governor set to control moods only. That brings its own problems though.
Old November 30, 2003, 19:09   #9
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:22
Local Date: November 3, 2010
A shame there's no way around it. This is my number one annoyance from the late Industrial onwards, apart from waiting for workers to move all the way across the map to get at pollution, then having to skip their turn when there is no more pollution, then setting them to auto-clean AGAIN, turn after turn.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old December 1, 2003, 04:34   #10
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Yeah, the user interface could use some adjustments on worker actions....like 'select group of workers' 'select action' 'select tile'.
Old December 1, 2003, 04:43   #11
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 23:22
Quote:
Originally posted by bongo
Yeah, the user interface could use some adjustments on worker actions....like 'select group of workers' 'select action' 'select tile'.
now that would be good tool.....
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old December 1, 2003, 10:14   #12
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Actually what annoys me is that when you have 6 automated workers and 2 polluted tiles that can each be cleaned in 1 turn with 4 workers the automated workers go 3 to each tile so both tiles are polluted for 2 turns, rather than 1 tile for 1 turn and 1 tile for 2 turns.

(I hope that makes sense)
Old December 1, 2003, 13:21   #13
gunkulator
Prince

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one irked by the excessive micromanagement needed to clean up pollution. I often quit a game in the industrial age because I have to spend so much time fussing with each and every one of my 50+ workers.

The best thing I have found is to use Shift-A (automate but don't change any existing improvements) in your core city area. Unfortunately you have to have all the tiles in your territory improved to the max in order for this to work: trees chopped, jungles cleared, irr/mine, road & rail.
Old December 1, 2003, 13:27   #14
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 23:22
Quote:
Originally posted by gunkulator
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one irked by the excessive micromanagement needed to clean up pollution. I often quit a game in the industrial age because I have to spend so much time fussing with each and every one of my 50+ workers.

The best thing I have found is to use Shift-A (automate but don't change any existing improvements) in your core city area. Unfortunately you have to have all the tiles in your territory improved to the max in order for this to work: trees chopped, jungles cleared, irr/mine, road & rail.

which byt that stage of game we usually do in the core citys, it usualy just the conqeured citys that need extra railroads added
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old December 5, 2003, 18:45   #15
Puma
Warlord

Local Time: 13:22
I wish there was shift-A+shift-I combination
Old December 7, 2003, 11:03   #16
Cookie Monster
King

Having to manually put the worker back on the turn pollution is removed is tedious. This has been the way since Civ3 began so what can you do?

OTOH does anyone remember if it was necessary to manually replace workers after pollution was cleaned in Civ2?
Old December 7, 2003, 19:07   #17
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 06:22
i don't remember that being so.

You know why? Because polluted squares could still be worked- but at reduced capacity.

And I didn't realize you could redistribute workers like that. So you just click on the center city square? Won't that also assign entertainers to work? Wouldn't you have to make entertainers again to prevent civil disorder?
Old December 7, 2003, 21:52   #18
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:22
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Dissident - in Civ3, clicking on the centre tile redistributes workers to a more-or-less most efficient distribution. I am unsure if it goes by the Governor's setting or not.

But it is useful for when your city is in disorder - clicking on the tile will automatically convert sufficient numbers of workers into Entertainers to keep your city content, whislt simultaneously trying to keep the city's pop growing. Of course sometimes you can then turn one of those entertainers into a taxman for an extra couple of gold, but it is a good start.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!