Old November 28, 2003, 18:19   #1
Rushton
Settler

Local Time: 14:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Peace and Trade embargoes

First game of conquests and I am playing at a middle level as the Egyptians - basically the same as I often did with PTW to see how the differences work.

First impression is that it is much harder to conquer and win, the AIs seem to get a lot more units than before but that wasn't the problem. Before you could sue for peace after a few turns and even get a city or two if you were winning, but certainly if you hadn't fought it would be even terms....

The Mongols were on another continent and declared war on me. I have just got to Democracy and have a small tech lead which means I have cavalry first. They don't reach me to fight but wont accept peace without military tradition (I have the stronger army). I say no. they get 2 other civs to declare war and all the rest bar two to set up trade embargos. The result is that my research virtually grinds to a halt. All the really weak civs wont accept peace without a tech either

Different from before and makes it very hard. Say no to a "weaker" but aggressive civ and then this happens. I don't want to wage war together with another civ........so perhaps the new tactic is to set up trade embargos yourself but it is a bit late now......
Rushton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2003, 19:23   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:22
AFAIK the bonus units are the same for Mon/Emp. They had to adjust Deity as we now have another level before and after.

My limited experience is that you could hardly get peace quickly in PTW and it rarely gave up a city, now it will (again).

I was able to beat cities out of the AI at Demi, even though I was only marginally stronger than the civ I was fighting. I was able to get more than one city in an Emp game.

The reaction of them getting others to give embargo was quite common in PTW. I would either set up deals right away or expect to have nearly all against me soon. Sound like nothing changed to me.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2003, 14:55   #3
PeaSoup
Warlord

Local Time: 06:22
the more civs you are at war with, the higher their price of peace is.

don't forget you can make your own peace deals, in the cases where the AI will ask for a tech for peace, try to give them some gold instead.. 50+/- gold is often enough
PeaSoup is offline   Reply With Quote