Old November 29, 2003, 12:46   #31
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 07:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
at the chart

Man, these threads get so moronic, so quickly.

On the EU: The economic integration of Europe is going on and will continue..as for the political integration: it will take more time, and te current EU is still too government centric and thus won;t get very far...the movement has to 1.be given one single force from above driving it (ala a bismarck and German infication) or has to come from public sentiment bellow, but a bunch of ministers representing independent states won;t really make it work. And no, analogies to the 13 colonies don; work.

As for europe or the US being superior to the other..what a stupid question. First someone define what the good life is, then we can find out which area provides people with it, or the chance for it..oh, and don;t forget the 85% of humanity you guys seem to be leaving out in this little meaningless dispute.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old November 29, 2003, 13:47   #32
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Europeans are a mystery to Americans like women are to men.
So basically you're saying that Europeans are a bunch of women? Personally I think you're being too hard on them. Is this some sort of self-loathing thread?
Old November 29, 2003, 14:43   #33
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 06:23
What concerns me about Europe is that their people are dying out and they don't get quality immigrants.
Old November 29, 2003, 14:49   #34
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

So basically you're saying that Europeans are a bunch of women? Personally I think you're being too hard on them. Is this some sort of self-loathing thread?
And being called a woman is an insult how? Half of everyone is women, y'know...

Quote:
The differences don't stop there. Hitler built the autobahns, transforming Germany's and the world's transportation. He ushered in an era of exciting new uniforms. Closet homosexuals found gainful employment in the highest rungs of government, and an outlet to vent their frustrations with the world. It is also thanks to Hitler that the briefly fashionable square-shaped mustache will never, ever come into vogue again.
sarcasm {
Yes, gays not being sent to concentration camps is why a purple upside-down triangle is a badge of gay pride these days
}
Old November 29, 2003, 15:04   #35
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 15:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Spiffor anwser honestly. You said Americans are pathetic and that Europeans are superior and then I provided a list of ways for which Europeans are decidedly inferior. After this you said I was being arogant but wouldn't you agree that the arogance comes from making an outlandish claim and then not being able to back it up?

If you were fair you would admite to being wrong.
I was only playing the snobbish French / Euro, just a bit of fun

But if you want a serious comment over your posts: often the Yanks show deep lack of understanding of the European psyche and tend to measure Europe by their own stick, which is what you have done.
A European would have rather thought about the millenia of history and culture, the achievement of peace in this warlike and bloody continent, the management of having made more harmonious societies etc.
You have only taken exterior factors into account, and pretty minor ones (such as the stability pact). It's like I made a judgement on the US only based on the Granada campaign
Old November 29, 2003, 16:32   #36
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 13:23
I knew you were trolling Spiff
Old November 29, 2003, 17:12   #37
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
I knew you were trolling Spiff
I didn't expect anybody to take me seriously.
I guess I left for too long, and I've forgotten about this place
Old November 29, 2003, 17:43   #38
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 07:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Actually the really disturbing part was that I went on to check out some "Yiff" sites, and found myself thinking that some of the young ladies in leopard suits were pretty damned foxy. The scruff of someone's fursuit could have ended up gripped between my teeth.

It sucks you in, man. The furries have "flirty fishers" too.
is this the one you mean?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	cheetahrear.sized.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	58350  

-theonion.com
Old November 29, 2003, 18:04   #39
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

I especially loved this part of Dr. Higgins' column:

Quote:
What it really ****ing comes down to, is that they hate each other because they aren't American enough, even though they're trying hard to be more and more like us. Look at it like this: all the frats would stop talking **** about whichever one was throwing a big ****ing party with free beer. Europe's interested in America just like the frats were interested in the beer. It ****ing unifies them. Only, whereas the frats would alternate who threw the keggers, no European country can be America. Like there's only one Sigma Chi, and then a whole bunch of Alpha Delt dorks.

So the ****ing differences aren't even that different. Europe is just a shittier, second rate version of America. There's nothing you can find there that you can't find at a mall in the US, but there's all sorts of **** in the US you can't find in Europe. All the cities have that European look to them, all the toilets can't clean the **** off of the sides when you flush, everybody lives in a little ****ing apartment with no elevator and spends tons of ****ing money on shitty little cups of coffee that don't hold a candle to Starbucks. Except in price.
I got tears in my eyes from laughing. Excellent, honestly!
Old November 29, 2003, 18:09   #40
Oerdin
Deity

Starbucks sucks. I suspect that author is from the south or the midwest or else he would know of better coffee shops.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old November 29, 2003, 18:50   #41
Ned
King

Local Time: 05:23
The rest of that article comparing Hitler and Bush is "funny" as well. The attack on Bush seems genuine and mean spirited, while the praise of Hitler seems in jest. But, methinks that the praise of Hitler goes to far. Perhaps the Europeans really do admire Hitler?

"Hitler was the first to unify Europe under a common currency and single foreign policy, inspiring the European Union of today; Bush's unilateralism has split the international coalition, causing annoying arguments among trekkers at youth hostels the world over. Hitler was a captivating speaker, inspiring throngs of Germans to lift their right arms at a 45-degree angle; Bush has difficulty remembering each and every tiny little syllable, causing American intellectuals to curl the right sides of their mouths into what is known as a “sneer.”

In war, their differences are even sharper. When no one attacked Germany, Germany would attack and destroy them. When Saudi Arabia attacked the United States and slaughtered 3,000 people in the worst defeat in US history, Bush helped to shuttle the bin Laden family out of America while deferentially referring to the Saudis as “our friends.” Hitler introduced the blitzkrieg; Bush introduced the strongly-worded UN resolution. Hitler believed in astrology; Bush believes in Southern Baptism. Hitler liked to plan invasions; Bush likes golf.

Hitler was scary. Bush is silly. Hitler scowled. Bush smirks.

http://www.exile.ru/151/1510204113.html

This article also was obviously penned before Iraq.
Old November 29, 2003, 19:06   #42
Hueij
Emperor

Quote:
Only, whereas the frats would alternate who threw the keggers, no European country can be America. Like there's only one Sigma Chi, and then a whole bunch of Alpha Delt dorks.
Question from an ignorant Euro... What's a Sigma Chi or a Alpha Delt?
Old November 29, 2003, 19:07   #43
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 16:23
I think they are like fraternities or sororieties
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old November 29, 2003, 19:10   #44
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 23:23
Whatever...

I think what you have to look at is how the Euro is doing against the Dollar to make your own minds up as to how successful the 'European Dream' is...

Sure there is **** going on with the constitution and the fact that France and Germany are ****ing with the system, but Europe is inexorably moving closer together and nothing can stop that...

Also your neighbour hating matrices are wrong, especially considering there is nothing to show how much the UK are complete xenophobes to the rest of Europe...

But then, no matter how much we hate each other - we all hate the US more...
Old November 29, 2003, 19:11   #45
MOBIUS
Emperor

BTW John, for a troll that is just plain useless...
Old November 29, 2003, 19:11   #46
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
Yep.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old November 29, 2003, 19:17   #47
Pekka
Emperor

You guys should hold your breath a minute and think.. because the time of reckoning will come, as Northern Europe comes and starts to DOMINATE! And there's nothing the rest of the Europe can do about it! No more pinky lifting for you fellows, come on and do it now while you can! N-EU! N-EU! N-EU! Join us or DIE!
Old November 29, 2003, 19:18   #48
Hueij
Emperor

Quote:
But according to the article one is superiour over the other? And why the Greek letters?
Old November 29, 2003, 19:23   #49
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 13:23
Quote:
Originally posted by MOBIUS
BTW John, for a troll that is just plain useless...
Yeah, insulting your own allies is pretty...well....

But then again, America does have a tendency of insulting it's allies
Old November 29, 2003, 19:24   #50
Pekka
Emperor

Yeah, I guess it's beacuse you have to apply to these fraternities (guys) and sororities (girls).. and I think, that there are for example fraternities that are considered 'cooler' than others, while others might have smarter individuals in it. I don't know, that's what they portray in the movies. The Greek letters? That I don't know.. I guess it's just how they have always named them..

So the point would be, that the America is the cool fraternity, and we Euros are the other fraternities, not as cool as them, but we try so hard to be like them. Without succeeding.
Old November 29, 2003, 19:27   #51
MOBIUS
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Yeah, insulting your own allies is pretty...well....

But then again, America does have a tendency of insulting it's allies
Yeah, right now the ***** are involved in any number of trade wars with their 'allies' and wonder why their 'allies' don't want to help them in Iraq...

Personally I think a trade war is almost as bad as a real war, but what the hell...
Old November 29, 2003, 19:28   #52
Oerdin
Deity

I think the person who wrote the article was a member or former member of one of the fraternities. Also the article sounds like it was meant to be tongue in cheek.
Old November 29, 2003, 19:30   #53
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Personally I think a trade war is almost as bad as a real war, but what the hell...
*cough* *Bananas* *cough*

It seems the Euros have been found to be at fault with a number of trade disputes as well. It's hardly a one way street.
Old November 29, 2003, 19:34   #54
MOBIUS
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

*cough* *Bananas* *cough*

It seems the Euros have been found to be at fault with a number of trade disputes as well. It's hardly a one way street.
Interesting you bring that one up...

I would ask you to really understand how that particular trade war came about before you start giving us grief about it...

Go away and do your homework nice little Oerdin and tell us what you find out...
Old November 29, 2003, 19:34   #55
Hueij
Emperor

Thanks Pekka. Still wondering about the Greek letters though.

Anyway, I don't think we should't try "to be like them". Now that the Cold War is over we have to find our own way, our interests are not automatically the American interests anymore.
Old November 29, 2003, 19:36   #56
Pekka
Emperor

Hueij, Agreed. But then again, I argue that we don't have common interests inside the Europe, and we are very diverse...
Old November 29, 2003, 19:39   #57
MOBIUS
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hueij
Anyway, I don't think we should't try "to be like them". Now that the Cold War is over we have to find our own way, our interests are not automatically the American interests anymore.
Seriously, if our interests were the same as the Americans, I really would consider slashing my wrists!!!
Old November 29, 2003, 19:40   #58
Hueij
Emperor

Quote:
Hueij, Agreed. But then again, I argue that we don't have common interests inside the Europe, and we are very diverse...
I dunno... If you look at 20th century Europe with all those millions of people killed I think there is only one way to go. The more we are all linked to each other and more dependant upon each other the better it is. After all we all have to live together on this little continent we share.
Old November 29, 2003, 19:42   #59
Hueij
Emperor

Quote:

Seriously, if our interests were the same as the Americans, I really would consider slashing my wrists!!!
Why would that be?
Old November 29, 2003, 19:43   #60
Pekka
Emperor

True. But isn't that pathetic, that our only real common goal is not to fight each other?

So we live in this continent.. it didn't stop us before!