Old December 3, 2003, 22:32   #31
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Let me know if you want help, GF. The ports required are in the read me, so you can do that yourself, but I could try to host or connect.
Old December 4, 2003, 01:51   #32
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:23
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Let me know if you want help, GF. The ports required are in the read me, so you can do that yourself, but I could try to host or connect.
I have to indorse NYE's advice. Since NYE and myself are both behind firewalls, we decided to have NYE host a Direct IP connect .... and it worked out rather well, a little slower than nomal, but for me, the game was still playable.
Old December 4, 2003, 03:07   #33
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 15:23
heysewa vs lameduck998 scheduled and allowed to overcome the deadline of round i
Old December 6, 2003, 16:56   #34
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Swissy beat me in round II. Well played Swissy!

Old December 6, 2003, 17:20   #35
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

table updated. looking forward to the AAR!

congrats Swissy!
Old December 7, 2003, 13:53   #36
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Local Time: 08:23
My start area was ok. A sugar and lux, but best of all a river and plenty of forests. With a river I went for the EW, EW, Granary, Settler build sequaence. Cutting down some trees to speed the granary build I was slow to start but was able to plant 3 new cities before I made contact with the closest civ, the Ottomans. Seeing that the four civs were Sumerians, Ottomans, Persian, and Babylonians; I went for the horseback riding tech path to get three shots at a SGL. Further exploring showed I had four luxs within easy reach, one being Ivory.

I found river for two of my cities, the third being the horse/ivory city had no fresh water. I also deiscovered I was up in the corner and the two AI civs were nowhere in site. I also found the Ottos had horses and iron. All he needed was saltpeter and I'd be in a load of trouble. To make matters worse, his third and fifth cities were just off desert land, and potential saltpeter.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	sumeria start.gif
Views:	407
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	59068  
Old December 7, 2003, 13:58   #37
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

We progressed along, I had just completed the Statue of Zeus and got the message the Babylonians started a war with the Ottomans. Seeing a couple Babylonian cities turn orange, I determined I had to attack soon. I sent off my Ancient Cavalry to a spot I left puposely undeveloped to get them upto 6HP elites and farm the barb gold machine. I also set my sites on Chivialry, and got lucking gain Fuedalism as my bonus tech and was able to trade it to Babylon for Monothesim. I changed to monarchy as I had most of my cities at 7 or better. It took 8 turns to switch governments, and I feel behind in tech. I had to clean out my treasury to get chivialry from the Persians. The army build up began.

In preperation for the attack I built a city near to my intended target, the Ottos fifth city. This gave me a one turn shot into the city and easy roading to bring up pikemen. My attack force of 8 AC and 6 knights stormed the two pikemen and crusader holding the city (I had investigated the city the turn before).Enough units were left over to both pacify resistance and send 6 units to the third Otto city which fell next turn. I abandoned that one as it was right next to Istanbul and had a pretty good size resisting population. Those two attacks left me with just 1 AC and 2 knights, so Istanbul had to wait for reinforcements. Knowing that it would be a waste to throw my remaing assault forces against the Ottoman stronghold, I instead pillaged the road network around the Otto capitol cutting it off. I finally got up 8 more knights and hit Istanbul. After that it was basically mop-up as I had cut his horses and iron.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	istanbul falls.gif
Views:	398
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	59070  
Old December 8, 2003, 02:22   #38
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

waiting for 24 hours for heysewa vs lameduck998 then progressing Snotty to the final....
Old December 8, 2003, 06:18   #39
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Hey Mark, could you change the color of the players in the Tournament box? It's pretty diffecult to see the yellow color...
Old December 8, 2003, 08:16   #40
heysewa
Settler

Just finished with lameduck in 260AD. He had a poor start, for some reason on a continent all by himself as the Celts. While, I started on the main continent as the Inca's with the Mongols and Persians. Persia declared war early, but for some reason never built a road to their source of iron. I didn't have any horses until first trading with the Mongols for some and then finally building a city next to a source after I learned Chivalry.

Fortunately I was near a source of ivory and built Zeus a little while after persia declared war. Fortunately for me my second city was next to a source of iron, so I had swordsmen to fend off persia's attack and to take their cities with. Destroyed one and then took their capitol. Then the mongols declared war so I made peace with persia (only one city left - no iron). I held the persepolis (persia had been between me and the mongols) and eventually sued for peace.

Sometime late BC the Celts landed having built the Great Lighthouse (although we could see each others borders across the sea). He sent some spearmen pillaging around. But I took care of them with the ancient calvary, but from then on we were in state of war but with limited conflict. He built two cities on the main land and I destroyed both. One was next to a source of iron.

He got the mongols to declare war on me shortly after I destroyed the persians and his first city on the main land (not next to iron). I took one mongol city and set about preparing for an invasion of the Celtic lands. while doing so lost a newly built city to the mongols (they destroyed it, then built a new city on it) and later took one from them and pillaged their iron.

I landed my mixed invasion force (Knights, Crusaders, Acncient Calvary and Musketmen) and took Lugdunum. I repulsed his counter attack of longbowmen and spearmen. I think they were an invasion force because they came by boat. HE then conceded (see attached save).

One defining moment came when I researched Fuedalism and got a Science leader. Needless to say Sun Tzu was shortly built. Never did have a golden age. Couldn't get the scouts to beat any one but barbs.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav heysewa of the inca, 260 ad.sav (76.7 KB, 11 views)
Old December 8, 2003, 12:14   #41
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 14:23
Well done Heysewa, confirmation email sent for tomorrow night.
Old December 8, 2003, 17:12   #42
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

thank you heysewa for the news and the report. to officially accept the result i'll have to hear from lameduck998 as well. a screen would be good for the news item
Old December 8, 2003, 18:11   #43
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

recieved mail from lameduck998, heysewa progresses to the Semifinals, looking forward for tomorrow's result!

i wonder if we could somehow make the final a live event
Old December 8, 2003, 18:41   #44
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

table updated with results and links to aar's
Old December 8, 2003, 20:24   #45
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 09:23
If you wanted a live event per se, you could have 2 seperate chat rooms with each player and they describe what's going on maybe...
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old December 9, 2003, 15:59   #46
heysewa
Settler

round 2
snotty won round 2 with the Statue of Zeus being the key.
Old December 9, 2003, 17:06   #47
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Thanks to Heysewa for a fun game.

I smiled when I saw I had Ivory. My land was quite acceptable, although a lack of forests to quick-chop meant my buildings were thrown up with the blood of my peasents instead.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	t2start.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	59218  
Old December 9, 2003, 17:10   #48
Snotty
King

I quickly stumbled into the chinese and hittites, finding that Heysewa was on the other side. Writing jumped in my list of priorities so I could organize military alliances.

I harrassed Heysewa with a stack of two warriors and an elite hoplite. I tore up some mines, and temporarily isolated his capital. I took a leak and when I came back my hoplite was dust.

I dont know what china was playing at in this game, but he seemed defective, even for an AI. He dropped his second city touching my borders, and defended it with a lone warrior. I captured it using Hoplites offensivly to trigger my GA so I could get Zeus up and running. I sued for peace after moving on his capital and he gave me a pile of stuff. The Hittites were crazy warmongers in this game. Constantly demanding, sneak attacking, and always willing to get into a Mil alliance (I even think they broke an alliance with me to get an alliance with Heysewa!)

I had horses close by so I started churning them out. The barbs seemed to be set to raging so I had a fair few elites despite not being Mil. I moved 3 hoplites and an archer into Heysewa's land, but he repulsed the pillage attempt. I retreated the remains to the end of the mountain chain where they met the rest of my advancing army. It must have been 4 vet ancient cav, 3 elite horses, 5 vet and a couple of replacement hops. I moved back into open terrain and charged my fastmovers into Oporta. The ancient cav died in the first wave, but the horses mopped up what was left, creating a MGL in the process. I captured 4 catapults and used them to rebuff Heysewas counter attack.

It was a close run thing considering the city was only defended by horses. I could have lost the city. All I wanted to do was raze it to the ground, but you dont get that option in MP. You have to choose abandon city, which takes that turn and the next, it seems. Heysewa conceded and that was the end of that

The early game had me sweating, but I dont think the portugease strengths really lend themselves to tiny pangea maps. I think zeus certainly helped, but they only made up 1/3 of my final attack force. I had a nice tech lead I could bait the AI into alliances with, although my Sci trait never really played a part.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	t3.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	59222  
Old December 9, 2003, 17:13   #49
Snotty
King

Another odd thing I noticed was that the Hittites got a SGL yet never built a wonder. I couldnt tell if they had used it for a science GA. Does the AI know how to use them?
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	t4.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	59224  
Old December 10, 2003, 00:12   #50
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

thanks you both and congratulations! Swissy vs Snotty on the final!
Old December 10, 2003, 12:47   #51
Snotty
King

Confirmation email sent. Im free on friday night, so it is probably going to be then.
Old December 11, 2003, 06:15   #52
Snotty
King

All set for for 7pm Poly time friday.
Old December 11, 2003, 20:57   #53
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 09:23
Swissy vs. Snotty...

I see a pattern.
Old December 11, 2003, 21:03   #54
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
Swissy vs. Snotty...

I see a pattern.
I was thinking the same thing myself!
Old December 11, 2003, 22:12   #55
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Local Time: 13:23
(This message topic has been started as a Thread under Civ3:General - no hyperlink to it yet)
For recording civ games, You could use a windows recorder program, which records mouse movements and clicks and keyboard presses.
I don't know what programs do this right now.. I have seen some a long time ago though.
You would need to use exactly the same game and windows type as the gameplayer, and playback the recording on your civ game to see how he played it.

The recorder would have to have Keep Random events option off, so every turn would look the same to Spectators. They wouldn't be able to do anything else on windows, as this would break the recording (continuity would stop and the civ3 game would get confused)

I could write a program to record civ games.
(This is slightly Off topic to MPing-sorry)

Someone just HAS to try this.
Old December 12, 2003, 21:35   #56
Swissy

Snotty won.

I was lost from the start. No river in start area, Snotty and the AIs had rivers, and the closest fresh water was 10 sqaures away. To top it off Snotty had Ivory and built the Statue of Zeus. I played it out to see If I could make Fuedalism and have a chance, but he showed up with a nice stack and it was pretty much over. Not much I could do with this one.
Old December 12, 2003, 21:53   #57
Snotty
King

Thanks Swissy.

River, plains, grass, iron, horses and ivory. Everything I needed really. I triggered my GA when I had a mere three citys so I could get zeus moving. I tried a couple of unsuccesful pillage attempts, but Swissy was on the ball and saw them off. I pruned the local Indians down to one city, and started blazing a trail through the jungle so I could get my cats to the front line. While I was doing that I moved my stack into Swissys land to do some move and pillage, and he conceded seeing it was hopeless. A chunk of luck from the random map generator helped me beat a far superior player.

My land:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	win2.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	59527  
Old December 12, 2003, 21:54   #58
Snotty
King

Swissys land:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	win1.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	59528  
Old December 12, 2003, 21:54   #59
Snotty
King

The end bit:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	win3.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	59529  
Old December 12, 2003, 21:56   #60
Snotty
King

So this makes me Poly champion right?

Time for some of this I think