Old November 29, 2003, 13:50   #1
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 06:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Woman knocked unconcious by trampling shoppers
Quote:
ORANGE CITY, Florida (AP) -- A mob of shoppers rushing for a sale on DVD players trampled the first woman in line and knocked her unconscious as they scrambled for the shelves at a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Patricia VanLester had her eye on a $29 DVD player, but when the siren blared at 6 a.m. Friday announcing the start to the post-Thanksgiving sale, the 41-year-old was knocked to the ground by the frenzy of shoppers behind her.

"She got pushed down, and they walked over her like a herd of elephants," said VanLester's sister, Linda Ellzey. "I told them, 'Stop stepping on my sister! She's on the ground!"'

Ellzey said some shoppers tried to help VanLester, and one employee helped Ellzey reach her sister, but most people just continued their rush for deals.

"All they cared about was a stupid DVD player," she said Saturday.

Paramedics called to the store found VanLester unconscious on top of a DVD player, surrounded by shoppers seemingly oblivious to her, said Mark O'Keefe, a spokesman for EVAC Ambulance.

She was flown to Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, where doctors told the family VanLester had a seizure after she was knocked down and would likely remain hospitalized through the weekend, Ellzey said. Hospital officials said Saturday they did not have any information on her condition.

"She's all black and blue," Ellzey said. "Patty doesn't remember anything. She still can't believe it all happened."

Ellzey said Wal-Mart officials called later Friday to ask about her sister, and the store apologized and offered to put a DVD player on hold for her.

Wal-Mart Stores spokeswoman Karen Burk said she had never heard of a such a melee during a sale.

"We are very disappointed this happened," Burk said. "We want her to come back as a shopper."
Only in America

Where else is a $29 dollar DVD player worth more than the safety and well-being of a person?

I love Wal-Mart's reply too. They would really appreciate her money.
Old November 29, 2003, 13:54   #2
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 07:24
There's not much Wal-Mart can do really. I mean, if they were being really generous they could pay her hospital bills and give her DVD player and a TV, etc., but a company cant say "We're sorry" which means someone like TEF is going to say "I love how WalMart passed itself off like a regular corporation."
Old November 29, 2003, 13:56   #3
Oerdin
Deity

Think of all the money she could make if you hired the right lawyer.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old November 29, 2003, 13:57   #4
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

I shop at Wal-Mart at least twice a month. Someone like TEF, actually, considering you don't know what TEF is like, will say "I'm glad they apologized." And they did...then they said we hope she comes back as a shopper...that just strikes me as slightly inhuman.

So please, don't tell me what someone like TEF is like, cause you really don't know.
Old November 29, 2003, 13:58   #5
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:24
I hate crowded shopping areas, especially with the complete lack of manners people have who just cut in front of you and out of doorways, and show absolutely no respect. After half an hour or so I just feel like letting loose all around me with fists should 'F**K OFF OUT OF MY WAY!'. I really hate it. That is why I try and go shopping on a really boring weekday evening (Tuesday or something at 5, long enough to get what I need, but too late for anyone without a particular purpose to go out). I can go straight in, purchase what I want, and go out. It's bliss...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 29, 2003, 13:58   #6
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 05:24
Yep. Reasonably foreseeable circumstances, and if WalMart didn't have enough employees around to reasonably assure the safety of guests on it's premises, then
Old November 29, 2003, 13:59   #7
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:24
I've been thinking all day

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 29, 2003, 14:01   #8
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
I hate crowded shopping areas, especially with the complete lack of manners people have who just cut in front of you and out of doorways, and show absolutely no respect.
I usually don't have that problem. People who try to cut in front of me often happen to collide with me, and due to the laws of physics, they come out a bit worse for it than I do.

And if someone (it's happened occasionally) actually tries to push me to get in front of me, they take an impromptu flying lesson.
Old November 29, 2003, 14:28   #9
Oerdin
Deity

If you shop online then there are no crowds nor any lines.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old November 29, 2003, 14:39   #10
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:24
Quote:
Only in America

Where else is a $29 dollar DVD player worth more than the safety and well-being of a person?

I love Wal-Mart's reply too. They would really appreciate her money
You are soooo right. Goddamned we're evil! EVIL I TELLS YA!!!

Why the next thing you'll know we'll have riots over soccer games! Then you can say

Quote:
Only in America

Where else is the outcome of a mere game worth more than the safety and well-being of a person?

I love M-U's reply too. They would really appreciate it if they continue being fans.
Old November 29, 2003, 15:56   #11
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Well shame on me, John T. Shame on me for pointing out that there's something wrong with people trampling a person with little regard for anyone but themselves.

I'm sooo sorry I bothered you.
Old November 29, 2003, 16:03   #12
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 13:24
That's what she gets for being a consumerist.

Do It Ourselves
Old November 29, 2003, 16:29   #13
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I hate WalMart and refuse to shop there.

Quote:
Paramedics called to the store found VanLester unconscious on top of a DVD player, surrounded by shoppers seemingly oblivious to her, said Mark O'Keefe, a spokesman for EVAC Ambulance.
Is this for real? On TOP of a DVD player. I'm trying to picture this scene...
Old November 29, 2003, 17:05   #14
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 16:24
Wal-Mart rocks! I mean their response is PRICELESS. So they really hold one for her too? Oh, that's so kind of them That's like saying FU stop faking, you're not hurt! How about, since it was thanksgiving, christmas on it's way, they'd give her a day in Wal-Mart, and she could get anything she wants to get. She came with a van? Too bad.

It's when these ladies gets wild.. when you get a discount of something.. they go all charging and beating each other. We should put oilmats all over the store, it would be a big naked oil wrestling match. You'd win something for free if you bring someone elses panties to the counter.

ANyway, I should go to next event like that, delibarelty be all the way back and when the doors open? CHAAAAAAAARGE!
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old November 29, 2003, 17:07   #15
Theben
Deity

Never shop at Walmart. Never even been in one.

They probably should've given her the damn DVD. A lot better pr than "we'll hold one until she regains her ability to shop."
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old November 29, 2003, 17:10   #16
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
We should put oilmats all over the store, it would be a big naked oil wrestling match. You'd win something for free if you bring someone elses panties to the counter.
Uh... the idea of 200 40 year old overweight moms duking it out with their snot-nosed brats in tow doesn't sound that appealing...
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old November 29, 2003, 17:11   #17
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
Well shame on me, John T. Shame on me for pointing out that there's something wrong with people trampling a person with little regard for anyone but themselves.

I'm sooo sorry I bothered you.
Naw, shame on you for being a bigot and spouting inflammatory remarks based upon national origin.

I'm soooo sorry you missed the point.
Old November 29, 2003, 17:12   #18
Pekka
Emperor

Theben, it's not supposed to be appealing . But it would only really show how some people go crazy over something small. We could sell the video. I bet we'd get some profit out of it.
Old November 29, 2003, 17:28   #19
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Oh come on. It is SO a national thing. You're right, we don't have soccer hooligans...we have wal-mart hooligans. It IS only in America.
Old November 29, 2003, 17:32   #20
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
We should put oilmats all over the store, it would be a big naked oil wrestling match. You'd win something for free if you bring someone elses panties to the counter.
Pekka, you are a man after my own heart.

Old November 29, 2003, 17:33   #21
Ned
King

There is no getting around it, this truly is appalling. I hope this lady gets a good lawyer and make Wal-Mart pay dearly for creating such a dangerous situation.
Old November 29, 2003, 17:33   #22
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
Oh come on. It is SO a national thing. You're right, we don't have soccer hooligans...we have wal-mart hooligans. It IS only in America.
I bet things like this occur in Canada or Brazil on occation as well. Maybe in China too.
Old November 29, 2003, 17:48   #23
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Maybe these things happen there too...I've never heard of one, but maybe they do.

However, the truely appalling thing is that it seems that the VAST majority of people just continued to step on and around her, and she laid there on her DVD player because her sister couldn't get to her through the throngs of people rushing for deals. I can't imagine what it would take for a person to consider holiday gifts more important than helping a person.
Old November 29, 2003, 17:56   #24
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 13:24
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT

Naw, shame on you for being a bigot and spouting inflammatory remarks based upon national origin.

I'm soooo sorry you missed the point.
Your becoming a great troll

And I love that response Though it's strange because I could call up the Wal-Mart here in Logan and ask them to put any electronics on hold I wanted to...
Some compensation for being run over by a bunch of capitalist pigs
Old November 29, 2003, 18:14   #25
Oerdin
Deity

Naw, those consumers weren't capitalists. I bet they were run of the mill wage slaves i.e. members of the proletariat.

The repressed masses want their consumer electronics.
Old November 29, 2003, 18:53   #26
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:24
IMO Some people are singleminded...
Some people are self-improtant...
Some people are greedy...
Most folk would be just plain oblivious to anything aroung them.

I wonder if it would be fun to buy some nerve gas and sabotage such events... then we'll see if they value their sales more than their lives... >
Old November 29, 2003, 18:55   #27
Pekka
Emperor

We have seen same phenomenon here lately too, with the bigger malls making their ways to our culture as well. People line up in hundreds, maybe even few thousands, just because the mall that is about to be opened promised to give PS2s and some other stuff for half price.. Wait.. did I say half price? Let's make it 10% discount.
Old November 29, 2003, 18:59   #28
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Reminds me of "Dawn of the Dead" really...

Fox News just showed video of three women punching each other when one tried to cut in line...to get into Toys R Us
Old November 29, 2003, 20:17   #29
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 23:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Only just figured that out!!? How long have you been on the OT?
Old November 29, 2003, 20:19   #30
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Can I sig that? If so, can I correct your spelling?