Old March 12, 2001, 20:11   #1
Marko
Prince

Local Time: 06:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
End of the long work - TSFE almost ready!

The Struggle For Europe will be released next week.
For people who aren't familiar with the project, here is short summary:

Since September 1999 I have been working with "THE STRUGGLE FOR EUROPE" Civ2 MGE scenario about WW2 in European Theatre. The scenario allows you play as the leader of Axis, Allies, Soviet Union, France, Finland, Sweden, Turkey, Spain, Jugoslavia or Neutrals (Switzerland, Portugal and Ireland during last half of the scenario). Also multiplayer versions are created. You can start from any point of war from May 1940 to May 1945.

In order to make managing the scenario (without sounds more than 15MB - scenario has 234 events, 65 rules and 13 units files) as easy as possible for player I have created a .BAT file with system of menues which manages everything.

There are 10 different dates which you can choose as starting time for the game:

May 1940 – "Battle for France"
July 1940 – "Battle for England"
June 1941 – "Operation Barbarossa"
November 1941 – "Battle of Moscow"
July 1942 – "Battle of Stalingrad I "
November 1942 – "Battle of Stalingrad II"
July 1943 – "Battle of Kursk"
June 1944 – "Operation Overlord"
December 1944 – "Battle of Bulge"
May 1945 – "The End of Axis"

There is created as realistic as possible war situation in Europe for each starting date in three versions: for playing as Axis (Soviet Union and United Kingdom are overstrenghted), as Allies or Soviets (Axis is overstrenghted) or as minor nation or multiplayer (relative strenghts of nations are more realistic). So there are 30 .SCN files in scenario.

There are 10 nations you can chose to play but only 7 are present in each starting point of course. Axis, England, Soviet Union, France, Spain, Jugoslavia and Neutrals are present at May 1940. July 1940 France is named to Vichy France. June 1941 Jugoslavia is replaced by Turkey. November 1942 Vichy France is replaced by Finland and May 1945 Axis is replaced by Sweden.
All nations are playable but for example playing as Jugoslavians is extremely hard.

[This message has been edited by Marko (edited March 12, 2001).]
Old March 12, 2001, 22:22   #2
MagyarCrusader

It sounds excellent Marko! Which website will be hosting this scenario first?

------------------
"The Rumanians are really the most reliable people in the world when it comes to depending upon their breaking any promises they make." - General Harry Hill Bandholtz, US Army, 22 NOV 1919. General Bandholtz was the one who saved the Crown Jewels from the Rumanians. His statue sits in front of the American Embassy in Budapest.
Truth

Old March 13, 2001, 01:08   #3
Eternal
King

Local Time: 01:13
I don't play CivII much anymore, but I am definitely going to check this out.
Old March 13, 2001, 03:08   #4
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 07:13
Could you please include a list of where which files go, PC users might be able to use .bat files but mac users have to write the coresponding applescript themselves and that is a nightmare if you have lots of files whit cryptic names.
If you want I could make a mac version of your scenario...
I will convert it either way for personal use, but I could make a Mac version for people to download.
Old March 13, 2001, 16:37   #5
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

I´ve looking forward to play this scenario for ages,
I´m glad that it´s going to be released
Old March 13, 2001, 18:15   #6
kIndal
Spanish Civers
King

It sounds as a wonderful project
Is it finished, yet????
It will be very funny try to win the World War II with Spanish troops
Old March 14, 2001, 02:16   #7
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Or if possible, whit Swedish troups
Old March 20, 2001, 11:13   #8
Marko
Prince

I plan to release the scenario in following zip files:

Events.zip - 614 Kb - events
Icons.zip - 351 Kb - icons, terrain etc
Rules.zip - 579 Kb - rules
Scen1.zip - 669 Kb - .scn files
Scen2.zip - 682 Kb - .scn files
Txt.zip - 386 Kb - game.txt, readme.txt etc
Units.zip - 585 Kb - units

All these files (unzipped 18,5 MB) will go to scenario folder.

Sound1.zip - 1,86 MB
Sound2.zip - 1,72 MB
Sound3.zip - 2,23 MB

Sound files (unzipped 8,94 MB) will go to Sound folder.

Everything is very easy for player. There is no need to make any specific subfolders for different versions or backup files. Before starting the scenario or continuing saved game player needs only run Europe.bat file and the program set up right version.

Henrik: It is good idea to make Mac version of the scenario. If you are interested, I can send the .bat file by e-mail. Open it as text document and you see where different files go. I think that you need to write a similar program for Mac.

I don't have yet any concrete plans where to release the TSFE. It is relativly big...
Who want to host it?

Old March 20, 2001, 14:19   #9
Henrik
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by Marko on 03-20-2001 10:13 AM
Henrik: It is good idea to make Mac version of the scenario. If you are interested, I can send the .bat file by e-mail. Open it as text document and you see where different files go. I think that you need to write a similar program for Mac.

I will do that, you might even release both the mac and Pc version at the same time.
Old March 22, 2001, 18:34   #10
MagyarCrusader

Marko- What platform is the scenario? ToT or MGE? I might be willing to temporarily host your scenario, if nobody else does. I have a website for my band with around 100mb of space. But since the site has nothing to do with civ2, I would just make a download page for people to temporarily download from until you get someone to host it permantly. Eventually I will need to take your scenario off to make room for our mp3s.

If you are interested, can you start emailing me the files? I'm not sure what the size limit on my incoming email is... so just sent 1 or 2 per day. My address is michael@jeszenka.com .

------------------
"The Rumanians are really the most reliable people in the world when it comes to depending upon their breaking any promises they make." - General Harry Hill Bandholtz, US Army, 22 NOV 1919. General Bandholtz was the one who saved the Crown Jewels from the Rumanians. His statue sits in front of the American Embassy in Budapest.
Truth

Old March 22, 2001, 20:05   #11
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 23:13
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Mike! You had a nice Civ2 site, full of WWII era scenarios. Hosting this baby would have been a natural!
Old March 23, 2001, 21:54   #12
Marko
Prince

Thanks, Mike.
I got just 100 MB free space from Fortunecity. I'm going to make a special website for The Struggle For Europe and upload it there.

TSFE is MGE scenario.

Old March 24, 2001, 20:51   #13
MagyarCrusader

Thanks Kull! But the key work there was had. There is still several good scenario sites around.

Ok Marko, that works. I eagerly look foward to the scenario, but I wish you would have made it with ToT...

------------------
Truth

Old March 25, 2001, 11:19   #14
PolarisGL
King

MagyarCrusader's quote in his signature is hilarious.
Old March 25, 2001, 20:44   #15
Marko
Prince

Actually I plan to make ToT version of TSFE but maybe only for playing myself - it could be well over 100 MB and unpossible to up- or download.

At first I release the scenario, then rest, then make the second version taking account all the feedback from players, then make the ToT version (using perhaps gigamap) - it can take more than year because ToT events offer so many new possibilities.
Then Civ3 is out. I hope that there will be some Civ2-Civ3 scenario converter around too.