Old March 31, 2004, 10:01   #31
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 22:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
it would be good
Old March 31, 2004, 11:01   #32
Proserpine
Warlord

Local Time: 13:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber-Spyder
I'm not talking about the law either, but fair use of the software says I can run one copy for myself, even if I do that on two machines alternately. I don't want to have to dig a Cd out every time I load up a game on my box, and I certainly can't carry around any game CD I may choose to use with my laptop.

Forget analogies, look at the situation for what it is.

The use of no-cd patches can be very justifiable, and does not necessarily constitute piracy.
This is a mighty tricky area.

Personally, I think that "fair use" should allow you to install the game on 2 or more computers for your own use (and, in fact, I do this regularly). But I think that the copyright holders could validly argue that the software licence allows the software to be installed only on 1 machine at a time, and that whether or not you use both simultaneously is irrelevant.

Similarly, it is technically illegal to copy the software (whether or not you do this for personal convenience or not). Thus, strictly, it is illegal to use Alcohol 120 to copy the software onto your own machine.

I don't say this is right or just, and note that I do use Alcohol 120 myself. I doubt whether the copyright holders would take issue with users in either of the above circumstances although, conceivably, they might if the situation became known to them (e.g. Microsoft). Most are more interested in stopping copying of their CDs/software/intellectual property by one person for use by (many) others.
Proserpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2004, 13:46   #33
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:25
Proserpine is correct for the US after the recent change in the law. It is not clear that you can defend yourself with the fair use doctrine any longer.

I suspect that as an individual user that use Alc120 on only one machine, I could probably prevail in court and they would be nuts to take me that far. If I used it on more than one machine, in my own home, I would be on shakey ground.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2004, 12:04   #34
Proserpine
Warlord

Yes VXMA1, as I suspected the US situation is pretty similar to how it works here in UK, although in the unlikely event of your case getting to court here there is, I believe, a better than 50:50 chance you would lose even if you only copy the software onto one machine.

Course, no court would take it on as the quantum of damage would be way too small.
Old April 3, 2004, 13:36   #35
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Before the RAIA action, no one was concerned. Now they at least have a bit of FUD. (Fear Uncertainty & Doubt(.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2004, 14:50   #36
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 14:25
Yeah, those greedy RIAA guys should have their kneecaps removed with a dull spoon.
Old April 14, 2004, 07:27   #37
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:25
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I use Alcohol120 to make all my games run on a virtual drive and never have to use the real CD. This works fine for CivIII, PTW and C3C.
Actually, vmxa, based on one of your earlier posts in another forum to this effect, I got this and have been using it ever since. It burns quite a few coasters when trying to back up CDs, but it's heaven for my laptop - as I can play all those games I want without having to a cart the CDs along with me. With the new wireless area in Wellington I look forward to soon wandering downtown with just my laptop and playing games in the sun, just for the hell of it.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2004, 14:45   #38
carlosmtz
Settler

Starting CIVPTW without CD
What I need to send to convince you I have original CIV3PTW CD?

My CIV3PTW is @ spanish, the patch will work with it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber-Spyder
it is illegal and wrong to use pirated versions of the game. However for those legitimate users who {like me} hate having to dig CD's out all the time and don't have the space to load all CD's onto HD, I DO have a no-cd crack for PTW 1.27f. If you need it contact me and be prepared to convince me you have a legit copy.
carlosmtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2004, 15:27   #39
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 14:25
Why are 'settlers' the only one asking for no-cd patches?

Either they have not learnt that the admins of this site strike down hard on any such requests?

Or they us a DL to avoid risking their *real* account

Oh, you don't need a patch btw, just write 'format c:' in a command window. Works every time
Old September 13, 2004, 18:34   #40
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 22:25
I really must try this on my laptop

good for when the girl drives
Old October 13, 2004, 16:15   #41
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ivanbuto
I looked around for a no-CD patch and had trouble finding one for Civilization III 1.29f. In the end I found one dowload named "CIVILIZATION.3.129F.ENG.GIMPSRUS.NOCD.zip". I am a little suspicios because the Civilization3.exe file included in this download is about 1869 KB, while the original Civilization3.exe (1.29f) is 2623 KB. Why would there be such a big difference in the file size? Has anybody else used this no-CD patch and is the .exe file not corrupt in any way?
Also, somebody suggested that I contact Atari to get a no-CD patch. Would this be worthwhile?

Thanks for your input.

Ivan
It should work fine.
"Now you're gonna ask me, is it an enforcer's job to drop the gloves against the other team's best player? Well sure no, but you've gotta know, these guys, they don't think like you and me." (Joël Bouchard, commenting on the Gaborik-Carcillo incident).
Oncle Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2005, 21:50   #42
Proserpine
Warlord

Surely you mean "just for the halibut"

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

Actually, vmxa, based on one of your earlier posts in another forum to this effect, I got this and have been using it ever since. It burns quite a few coasters when trying to back up CDs, but it's heaven for my laptop - as I can play all those games I want without having to a cart the CDs along with me. With the new wireless area in Wellington I look forward to soon wandering downtown with just my laptop and playing games in the sun, just for the hell of it.