Old December 5, 2003, 18:32   #121
Zevico
Prince

Local Time: 23:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
One last thing: Your British and American examples in no way justify or give reason to the indoctrination of Palestinians.
Old December 27, 2003, 00:19   #122
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 06:27
Zevico is right. How do 100 year old examples of Empire building justify Arafat teaching Palestinian children to commit suicide?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old December 27, 2003, 11:41   #123
Zevico
Prince

Local Time: 23:27
*Apologies for the resurection, but I forgot to respond to Master Zen properly*
Quote:
Give me a break, a terrorist doesn't blow himself up just because a house was demolished, its the plethora of ACTS of destruction going around in Gaza and the West Bank which fuels the hatred of these people to blow themselves up.
So because some soldiers demolished many houses, I should go kill people. Is that the logic you are trying to give out here? Ridiculous.
These things, though bad for Palestinians, are no reason to commit murder. In many cases house demolitions, by the way, are done against the houses of terrorists. It is a method used by the IDF to attempt to discourage terrorism (if you kill people, your family will lose their home). Find a better one that doesn't involve killing. It will be interesting to hear it.
Old December 27, 2003, 15:05   #124
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 15:27
Quote:
One this is a bunch of loonies doing crazy things, the other is when an entire nation supports them, and those reasons are deeper than just being "brainwashed".
You claim that brainwashing is not enough to make an entire population support a bunch of loonies doing crazy things.

For this to succeed, you demand "deeper motives" and usually, guilt on the side against whom the brainwashing goes on.

Well then, find me reasons for the mass acceptance of germans during the 1930s and 1940s of Jews as a sub-human race, and the wide acceptance and happiness at their extermination. Reasons that are beyond "Simple brainwashing".

My point is, that western lefties are usually under appriciative of "simple brainwashing". But you have to understand that indoctrination is how we make most of our views, contrary to what we like to think.
Old December 27, 2003, 15:29   #125
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 15:27
Quote:
Originally posted by shawnmmcc
Much of the support for the suicide bombers comes from the constant "collateral" deaths of Palestinian civilians during Israeli military ops on the West Bank.
I assume you made a research on this issue?

Obviously this is a major factor. However indoctrination plays a much larger factor, since it has the ultimate effect on how do the palestinains choose to understand what happens.

They choose to see it as Israel trying to limit their freedom for no good reason (oh yeah, they want all of Israel) while the reality is, that with terrorist attacks diminishing the Israeli government and Israeli citizens would gladly leave the territories alone and leave the pals to slaughter each other alone.

Quote:
The Israeli military is treating the West Bank as a war zone, when it is in fact an occupied territory. Under the rules of war you are not supposed to shoot missles into apartement buildings to conduct the assassination of suspected (usually quite strongly with sound evidence) terrorist leaders, you are supposed to go in and arrest them. Like in Northern Ireland.
2 points.

1. It is similarly illegal for combatants to hide in civilian population cetners and use the population centers as a means to defend themselves from the arm their enemy.

2. In this context, according to international war laws, Israel is not limited from attacking in the middle of the civilian population, since it is the terrorists who hide there who brought the war to the city center.

3. An army of illegal terrorist combatants are not a thing with which normal justice procedures are capable of handling. They are not petty criminals and do no accept the rule of any law, be it local civil law or international military laws.

4. Assassinations of enemy key-figures is a legitimate act in a war. Agreeably that line blurs when the key figures are also political leaders, however, what prevails is their importance in the architecture of terror.

5. Israel infact does arrests and trials hundreds of terrorist activists. I would say that only 5% of the terrorists that Israel "gets" are assassinated, and the rest are arrested and tried or await their trial. Only arrests are not that interesting to show on CNN and aren't a good propoganda tool against Israel, so no one mentions them.

6. As for the assassinations, they only take place when there is a serious reason for it. Either a time schedule of a terract about to occur, or an inability to stop the terrorist using other means.

Quote:
The Israelis are willing to kill Palestinian non-combatants, INCLUDING CHILDREN, to spare their troops. Then they get upset and righteous over the resulting backlash.
The Israelis are not willing to do so. A huge percent of planned assassinations never occur exactly for that reason - to spare innocents.

However, war is war, and Israel accepts that some people will inadvertantly be hurt.

Also, when there is a terrorist attack initiating, for Israel there is a very clear choise of who will die:
1. Israeli citizens.
2. Palestinian terrorist and possibly some Palestinian citizens.

As a state, Israel is meant to protect it's citizens first and foremost, and it acts on this mandate.

Quote:
They engage in retaliation against family members of terrorists, bulldozing homes of people who often had no involvement,
Family members of terrorists are usually aware of the acts of their children / siblings and at times are active supporters. As such, they are co-conspirators and are partners to the crime and thus bear responsability for the action.

Furthermore, a study showed that a big part of the motivation for suicide bombers is the fact that they are promising their family a better future, whether by "fighting the zionist enemy" or more commonly, enjoying the thousands of dollars the PA, Hamas, and until recently Iraq was giving in reward to families of suicide bombers.

The Israeli steps make it clear for terrorists that they will only make it worse for their families.

Quote:
Every house they bulldoze adds to the the reservior of recruits for Hamas.
Possibly.

But it also stopped a great deal of terrorist attackers.

Not only, but several families have contacted IDF and asked them to stop their children, on their way to a suicide bombing, out of fear for their house. (I find it sick that they feared more for their house than their children's lives).

Quote:
They are seizing Palestinian property for the benefit of the Israeli so-called settlers, and have stolen the water from the Palestinian people. (you get to keep the land, I get your water - in a desert country, what a deal) If you don't believe me, google "Water Rights" "West Bank" and go to the non-Arab sources.
Meanwhile Israel continues to supply free water to southern lebanon, Jordan and at times the palestinian population. So it's obviously all about the water .

Factually, the water issue is only used in propoganda and has never been a serious issue in peace talks.

Quote:
None of this excuses the terrorism! But it makes it understandable, as a people without hope lash out in the only way that has seen any success.
Terrorism has always claimed to be a weapon of the hopeless, just as a bloody revolution is the weapon of the opressed.

However, the people directly employing terrorism are never neither hopless nor poor. You can check Hamas, or Al-Qaeda or Fateh. No one there is poor or hopeless in the pesonal sense.

Quote:
As far as I am concerned, I wish the USA had kept largely out of it, and let other people become the target of the Moslem fanatics.
"As far as I am concerned, I wish the USA had kept largely out of WWII, and let other people become the target of the Nazi fanatics."
Old December 29, 2003, 06:27   #126
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 09:27
Actually, Sirotnikov, I have done a fair bit of research. I have interest from two directions. My wife is Jewish, and I signed a Katuba (for those of you not in the Jewish community, a wedding contract) where, out of respect for the Rabbi who broke the rules and married us, I also agreed to raise our children in the Jewish tradition. Since Judaism is matrilineal, not only my wife but now my daughter are both Jewish, and recognized as such not only by the Jewish community in the US, but also in Israel. By the way, my wife detests the actions of the current Israeli government in the West Bank. She has also taught Sunday school at the local Synagogue, and she and my daughter are members.

I bring a slightly different perspective. A goodly portion of my ancestry, and my surname, is Irish. A place where people of the same ethnicity (Celts / Semites) fought mainly over religious (Catholic-Protestant / Jewish-Moslem) issues, where one group used it's power to discriminate in land ownership, language, political rights, and religion. Sound familiar. Those who do not learn the lessons of history...

Now, Israel is the occupying power. Period. It is THEIR responsibility, under the Geneva conventions, to protect non-combatants. It is illegal, again under the Geneva conventions, for the occupying power to be seizing civilian land for the purpose of settling their own people (please note - you build a settlement, and then because it needs better security you use eminent domain to seize the surrouding land plus to seize land so you can improve the road net - it's still ILLEGAL under the Geneva conventions concerning occupying powers).

It is illegal under the Geneva conventions to target civilians not involved in the resistance in reprisals, i.e. we will bulldoze your house if we believe your son was involved in resistance or terrorist acts, and if we think you town is involved, we will bulldoze entire sections IN REPRISAL. Reprisals are against the Geneva conventions. Period. Imprison the guilty. You statement of family members being "aware" of what is happening is specious, show me the court proceeding. Huh. No court proceedings? Exactly. Just to head of any red herrings, there have been isolated court proceeding to stop the demolitions. Some of which the military STILL ignored.

Now Israel can, quite correctly under the Geneva conventions and as an occupying power, execute those irregular forces. They can also imprison without due process, etc. They do that, and you will note I posted nothing against that, though I feel it is foolish (I can quite properly note that based on results, the Israeli occupation of the West Bank is a failure) based on stated desires of the Israeli government versus results.

You may see this as a tirade against Israel only, without equivalent time spent condeming the Moslem extremists.. This is in response to the posters, who you will note almost always try to justify the actions of Israel. Since I don't see many people in these forums trying to justify the actions of the fanatics on the Palestinian side - you'll note I said understandable, not that they are in the right - then this reply will deal mainly with posted justifications for Israel's actions.

Israel has shot air to surface into apartment buildings, multiple times, in the past year. They have killed civilians. Duh. That is a choice by the government, they could have sent in special forces, who would have taken casualties. The Palistinians are very aware that the Isreali government shows minimal, if any, compunction, over the death of Palestinian children as long as it reduces Isreali military casualties. This feeds into the fanatics, which is why I find the Israeli policies counterproductive, and foolish.

Lastly, and this is both in response to this post and a prior post, people wonder why the Palestinian children are indoctrinated to hate Jews. That is becasue the Israelis have attempted to have their cake and eat it too. They have a "permanent occupation" where they get the land by encroachment, and don't have to spend on infrastructure on the filthy - barabaric - inhuman - non-Jewish (pick label of your choice) Palestinians. Into this vacuum Arab extremists took over the teaching. Guess what they taught. Anti-semitism.

A large part of the Jewish community has a similiar problem. Sirotnikov, my wife's parents speak Yiddish. Want to discuss the derivation of Goy, the implications, and it's usage. They are significant portions of the Jewish community that are hardly bastions of tolerance. Combined with the intolerance coming out of the fundamentalist Moslem groups like Hamas, and the people who suffer are the children.

If Israel had properly administered the West Bank, spending on the infrastructure including both utilities and schools, they could have a secular Palestinian society ready to act as a buffer with the surrounding states. Instead Palestinian Christians are emigrating at a rate where they will be a statistical anamoly in less than twenty years, Moslem extremists do the teaching the Israeli government should have, and Sharon and Arafat need each other, and the cycle of fanaticism, for each to stay in power.

Don't even get me started on the Palestinian authority (corrupt, authoritarian, vicious, terrorist). The Israeli government took the easy way out, they just recognized Arafat instead of organizing local governments with genuine power (instead of what the local Isreali military commander dictated) and building on a West Bank democracy from that. However, among the Israeli right wing by their own admission they have never wanted a functioning West Bank Palestinian democracy, and have never made the work and investment in creating it.

Bluntly, I think it is too late. People like Sirotnikov justify almost any actions of the Israeli governement, and the intolerant on both side use each other to stay in power. They did the same thing in Ireland for four centuries, and as I stated before, I see both groups killing each other frankly beyond my lifetime. The families of children killed by an explosion caused by a Hamas terrorist bombing or Isreali use of heavy weaponry in civilian area (oh, that's a missle launch on an occupied four story apartment building, but THAT'S DIFFERENT ) will continue the cycle of hate. I think the Q-cubed in our thread on the death penalty for Saddam said it more eloquently than I could.

Oh, by the way, if the Isreali government is so enlightened, etc. how about the land rights now being stolen by the Isreali governement from the Bedouin of the Negev Desert. Just like the water rights (did you bother to google "Water Rights" and "West Bank" - I'll let that stand on it's own strength, you don't refute it, you just offer factoids and say I'm wrong), it is all very much part of the issue. Bluntly Israel is a "Jim Crow" state (denying equal rights to a minority) internally in it's treatment of Isreali Arabs, and an Apartied state (a minority denying rights to a majority) on the West Bank, in that the settlers get infrastructure, water, favored cropland, etc. and the hell with the people who used to own it, and still make up the majority of the population.

Note, Isreali DOES NOT mean Jew. There are many Jews around the world who disapprove of the actions of the current government in Israel, and in fact Israeli soldiers being conscientious objectors over serving on the West Bank. Those are the men and women I respect, because they are getting nailed for doing the right thing. They, and the Palestinians who report the suicide bombers not because of the misguided reprisals, but because they know it's wrong - who are then targeted by Hamas et al. On both side it's the intolerant with the guns and bombs. That's what is so sad.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.