Old February 26, 2004, 00:58   #91
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 09:29
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Good stuff.

alex, and alex alone, gets credit for the Mot Trans change.

I once again implore Firaxis to hire him, once and for all.

Other changes? All good. And thanks, ducki, for voicing the Army issues before I've had a chance to check in.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old February 26, 2004, 01:00   #92
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 06:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Good stuff.

alex, and alex alone, gets credit for the Mot Trans change.

I once again implore Firaxis to hire him, once and for all.

Other changes? All good. And thanks, ducki, for voicing the Army issues before I've had a chance to check in.
Yeah but if they hired him then he wouldn't be able to have any fun doing this. It would all be work.
Old February 26, 2004, 01:06   #93
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Jesse/Tavis doesn't seem to sleep, nor does alex...

24/7 Civ3 development sounds good to me!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old February 27, 2004, 06:52   #94
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:29
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Rumour, eh?

Where did said rumour originate from?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old February 27, 2004, 11:43   #95
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The Rumor Mill, of course!
Old February 27, 2004, 13:30   #96
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 08:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Thriller
What happened to 1.16 and 1.17? Or have I been asleepatthewheel?
/me pokes his head into AU HQ

Great change. Hate those speed bump techs. cheers to the originators of the idea.
Old March 17, 2004, 12:29   #97
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Question:

Has there ever been a discussion about possibly boosting the Oracle somehow?

Dunno about the rest of you, but that is the wonder I am least likely to ever bother with. Most of the time I forget it's even there (captured it recently before it expired and it took me a while to figure out why my people were more content than they had been, despite agressive war as a republic).

Anyway, it's 300 shields for a doubling of temples, expires with Monotheism or Theology, I forget.

I suppose you *might* want it if you're a religious civ that seriously lacks luxuries. Me, I'd rather have the Hanging Gardens. Same cost, same basic boost, doesn't require the temples be built, and expires much later.

Does anyone else think the Oracle could use a boost.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 17, 2004, 12:31   #98
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Good point. Added to the list. Thread to be opened soon.
Old March 17, 2004, 12:35   #99
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I need to get the new version of the mod when it comes out and start using it.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 20, 2004, 00:41   #100
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 07:29
alexman, there's one little "glitchy" spot on that 1.20-model graphic for the tech tree to the right and slightly below Mot.Trans. If I hadn't been trying to see if I used the wrong rules for AU 502, I'd have never noticed it. It doesn't seem to affect anything other than you can right click it to bring up the 'pedia entry.
Old March 20, 2004, 08:04   #101
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants

The 1.20 tech tree will work only if you replace your old graphics with it, unless you specified to look in the AU mod folder in the 1.20 scenario.

For the AU mod, you don't need to replace any original files, as the mod knows to look in the AU Mod folder.
Old March 24, 2004, 11:51   #102
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Umm...likely this was in an earlier post, but it could be that even newcomers to AU are assumed to know...but how do you install the mod? There are many directories with .biq files. Mind you, my first guess turned out to be correct (at least the game didn't blow up!), but I would add a short note to the first message of the thread.
Old March 24, 2004, 11:56   #103
alexman

This is what is in the first post already:

Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
The Mod

The latest version of the Apolyton University Mod can be downloaded from the links below. To use the mod, unzip the files in your Scenarios folder.
  • AU Mod 1.04: The latest changes voted in for the AU502 game.
  • AU Mod Graphics: An optional file that displays the correct Industrial age tech tree. Unzipping into your Scenarios folder will create an AU Mod directory where AU Mod games look for overriding files. If these graphics are not installed, the default C3C tech tree background is used.
How would you suggest improving it?
Old March 24, 2004, 23:51   #104
Dominae
Emperor

Resignation
Well, it's finally time for me to move on from Civ3; my interest in the game has been waning for some time, and RL is not giving me much opportunity to get motivated again.

Thus I'm officialy resigning from the AU mod panel. Perhaps you've noticed that I've not been too vocal in the past couples of months...well, now I'm getting out before I become completely silent (including votes). I'm sure the AU mod will do fine without me.

As for my replacement, I nominate Nathan. Although he claims that he does not have the time to take on such a position, he's the one that actually posts the most here. We all know he belongs on the panel.

Enjoy your mod, and may even more changes make it into future patches (and Civ4!).

Dominae
Old March 25, 2004, 02:55   #105
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

You have made a significant contribution the forum Dom. I will surely miss your discussions.
Old March 25, 2004, 06:31   #106
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:29
pity!

however, hope to see you back with C:IV
Old March 25, 2004, 10:18   #107
alexman

Sorry to see you leave, Dominae.
Thanks for all you have done for the AU.
Old March 25, 2004, 10:21   #108
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
This is what is in the first post already:

AU Mod 1.04: The latest changes voted in for the AU502 game.

AU Mod Graphics: An optional file that displays the correct Industrial age tech tree. Unzipping into your Scenarios folder will create an AU Mod directory where AU Mod games look for overriding files. If these graphics are not installed, the default C3C tech tree background is used.

How would you suggest improving it?
Actually, the precise problem with that wording (to my dreadfully literal mind) is that it says to unzip the Mod Graphics into the Scenarios folder, rather than to unzip the mod and then the graphics. So I recommend the following:

AU Mod 1.04: The latest changes voted in for the AU502 game. Unzipping into your Scenarios folder will create an AU Mod directory where AU Mod games look for overriding files.

AU Mod Graphics: An optional file that displays the correct Industrial age tech tree. Unzip into the same directory. If these graphics are not installed, the default C3C tech tree background is used.

BTW, when I have to write instructions to my end-users I have found that it is *impossible* to be too detailed in giving instructions, and that no instructions can overcome the inability to read... I have the button: "Programming is a race between programmers trying to create bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the universe trying to create bigger and better idiots."

The same applies to instructions, and the universe always wins.
Old March 25, 2004, 10:26   #109
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 14:29
Good luck, Dominae. I can understand how you feel, as I feel the same way. I may return to the game later this year, though, probably with my own mod, which will be a modified AU mod (and so, practically an AU mod mod ). I hope (and have no doubt), that you will return to the game too.

Nathan would be a very good replacement, if he agrees to take the duty.
Old March 25, 2004, 10:30   #110
Dominae
Emperor

Thanks all.

Sir Ralph, I'm worried: how is life away from Civ3?!
Old March 25, 2004, 12:31   #111
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Last edited by Sir Ralph; March 25, 2004 at 13:51.
Old March 25, 2004, 15:07   #112
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Sorry about your resignation, Dominae. And if the AU mod will do fine in the future, it'll be also because you suggested a mod panel in the first place.

EDIT: And I really hope that nbarclay accepts the now vacant panel position.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old March 25, 2004, 15:20   #113
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Sorry to hear you're leaving, Dom! Will you be leaving your Demogame teams as well?
Old March 25, 2004, 15:46   #114
alexman

Can somebody please open a new thread regarding new membership of the AU mod panel, Dominae's departure, et cetera, so we can save this thread for AU mod announcements and discussion thread proposals?

Thanks!
Old March 26, 2004, 17:08   #115
alexman

I added an optional AU mod version of the Civilopedia.txt file in the initial post. It works the same was as the Industrial Age background. Let me know if you see any errors.
Old April 2, 2004, 20:25   #116
Rellin
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:29
Does the link to download the AU mod in the first post match everything in patch version 1.22?
Old April 2, 2004, 20:41   #117
alexman

Yes, AU 1.04 works with patch 1.22, and you don't even need any graphics downloads because the tech tree is the same now!
Old April 3, 2004, 08:20   #118
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Now that the removal of Electronics as prerequisite of Motorized Transportation is part of the stock game (since C3C v1.20), it is confusing that this change is still listed as part of the AU mod. OTOH, by simply removing it from the change list we would also delete the link to the ToE discussion.

So I suggest to create a new section (after 'Changes in version v1.04') called 'Changes in former AU mod versions that are now part of C3C's stock game' and move the Mot. Transport. change to this section. (Hopefully, it'll be followed by other entries. )
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old April 27, 2004, 19:51   #119
alexman

We currently have 5 issues under consideration. Soon after these have been settled, the plan is to freeze the AU mod until the final C3C patch (June?), so people have a chance to get used to it without constant changes.

Therefore, now is your chance to bring up any issues that need considering in this mod before the freeze.
Revive the old threads, or post here for new issues!
Old May 1, 2004, 18:02   #120
Theseus
Emperor

Sorry I havne't been around too much. I'll catch up and vote now. I think freezing the AU Mod for a couple of months is a good idea, especially given some of the open issues with C3C itself.

Last edited by Theseus; May 2, 2004 at 14:09.