Old December 3, 2003, 11:24   #31
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Curraghs are pretty useless for suicide runs, unless you've got seafaring or unless you can see land.

I wonder if they should have an attack and defense of zero.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
chequita guevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2003, 11:32   #32
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I find curraghs to be great for scouting and making contact with other civs. And I have made some successful suicide runs with them.

Che - attack of zero, fine. But a defense of zero? Barb galleys can show up pretty quickly, and then your curragh is pretty much useless.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2003, 18:04   #33
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I really don't think curraghs should be able to defeat galleys. It would also make those dang pirates have some point, since usually all they do is crash against my curraghs and die.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
chequita guevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2003, 20:14   #34
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:30
Depending on difficulty level and barb settings, curraghs don't survive too long once barb galleys show up.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2003, 00:04   #35
Kuciwalker
Deity

chegitz - just give them -1 hps then.
Old December 9, 2003, 11:29   #36
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by donZappo
Heh, you called it a trireme. Now there's a flashback...
I remember in the days of Civ1 (actually it was before they even started numbering it) we used to say, "Build a Trireme. If you Try it, you'll get Reamed!" (due to the propensity of them sinking in non-coastal squares).

Just a blast from the past.
Old December 9, 2003, 11:33   #37
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Depending on difficulty level and barb settings, curraghs don't survive too long once barb galleys show up.
I had a Curragh that took-out 6 Barb Galleys. It was kinda cool to have this 2-hp Elite unit sailing around making contact with everyone. Too bad it lost its status when I upgraded it.
Old December 9, 2003, 15:53   #38
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 14:30
Hehe, don't you just love those super-curraghs

Granted, a unit-carrying curragh would be more useful than the 'standard' one, but a seagoing scout is still highly useful (besides, what do you expect for only 15s?). Gives you a bucketload of contacts and nice maps. The 0-attack makes sure OTHER civs don't attacks you until they get galleys. Oh, they can't demand that you retreat from their territory either

In sum, I really like them and feel they give good value for money(well, shields actually).