Old April 6, 2001, 21:11   #1
shamrock
Warlord

Local Time: 06:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Alternate method of winning?
I've been working for months on an Atlantis scenario which is finally near completion. It occurred to me that this scenario would be well-suited for an altenate method of winning. By "alternate method of winning," I mean that instead of constructing a spaceship and traveling to AC, a player would construct a submersible that would travel to the sunken depths of Atlantis and recover untold secrets. Instead of the Apollo Project, there would be the Poseidon Project; instead of spaceship structurals, there would be submersible structurals, etc. All these changes can be easily achieved by modifying various game files. However, when the player goes to view the status of their "submersible," they will see instead a spaceship. This is a problem that is not so easily overcome.

I believe that a solution does exist though. By modifying the ss.dll file, a skilled graphics artist with an understanding of how these images interact could theoretically change all these spaceship graphics into submersible graphics. Has anyone ever played around with this file? Does what I'm suggesting seem valid? Are there any difficulties that I am overlooking?

I've made this a VERY comprehensive scenario, and I would love to make this happen as a nice final touch. However, I lack the skill to create the necessary graphics, which brings me to the main reason for this post. Is there anyone out there willing to give this a try? Obviously you would be credited accordingly, and (in case it mattered) have my undying gratitude?

[This message has been edited by shamrock (edited April 06, 2001).]
Old April 6, 2001, 23:22   #2
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:13
I've made this a VERY comprehensive scenario, and I would love to make this happen as a nice final touch.

Changing those graphics would be more than a final touch in Spartacus and Red Front. I think you should just ask the players to use their imagination.

------------------
Leons Petrazickis (St. Leo)
http://aventine.cf-developer.net/minizigg/
petrazi@sprint.ca
Old April 7, 2001, 04:13   #3
Kubla Khan

One easy way out might be to call it a Great Submersible or something and say it's got living quarters for a whole lot of people. Since futuristic spaceships and futuristic submersibles might well look the same, you can just alter the background of Earth and make it totally dark blue or something, for which you wouldn't need graphic skills. There's a tool called something like "Rune Berg's GIF Extractor" or something you can find on a lot of sites that should do this for you.

PS: Sounds like a great scenario!

Old April 7, 2001, 20:46   #4
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:13
I'm a big fan of all the graphics you have created/adapted - they've all looked fantastic!

I haven't really created any CivII graphics.

------------------
Leons Petrazickis (St. Leo)
http://aventine.cf-developer.net/minizigg/
petrazi@sprint.ca
Old April 8, 2001, 00:24   #5
shamrock
Warlord

Local Time: 06:13
quote:

Originally posted by St Leo on 04-06-2001 11:22 PM

Changing those graphics would be more than a final touch in Spartacus and Red Front. I think you should just ask the players to use their imagination.

Not really worth the effort, eh? I suppose I agree. I'm glad you replied, though, as I secretly hoped you might be the one to volunteer. I'm a big fan of all the graphics you have created/adapted - they've all looked fantastic!

quote:

Originally posted by Kubla Khan on 04-07-2001 04:13 AM
One easy way out might be to call it a Great Submersible or something and say it's got living quarters for a whole lot of people. Since futuristic spaceships and futuristic submersibles might well look the same, you can just alter the background of Earth and make it totally dark blue or something, for which you wouldn't need graphic skills. There's a tool called something like "Rune Berg's GIF Extractor" or something you can find on a lot of sites that should do this for you.

That's a great point. For just a little effort, I can have a reasonable solution. Yes, I've got the GIF extractor, so I'll make a few small changes to the ss.dll, including changing the background as you've suggested.

quote:

PS: Sounds like a great scenario!

I think it is, but of course, I'm lacking objectivity. It should be complete in the next couple of weeks in which case I'll be needing some playtesters, and they can be the judge of that...