Old December 2, 2003, 13:41   #1
Wolflook
Settler

Local Time: 13:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Elapsed Game Time statistic?
Hi all! I'm new to the game ($10 at Circuit City this past friday - woohoo), and i'm excited to start playing it. I've played Civ and Civ2, so i should be able to hit the ground running.

I have the latest patch installed, but i don't have any of the expansions. My question is: does the game keep track of how long (in real-time) it took to play a game? I saw a post where people were saying they've played games that's taken over 200 hours! It's a wierd little thing of mine, but I LOVE it when games tell you how much you've played... i like to see how much time of my life i've "wasted" playing a game
Old December 2, 2003, 14:09   #2
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 08:32
Welcome to Civ3, Wolflook! Be aware that you may have to unlearn some of your Civ2 tricks and strategies, as many significant changes have been made. Just prowl the forum here and you should come up to speed pretty quickly.

As for the timing, I assume it tracks the time a game is active. I'm not sure whether you can stop the clock by, for example, doing a Save Game and pausing before actually saving, but under that assumption, I have begun to do that when I take a break from civving and don't want to shut it down completely.

I can confirm that many games last a very long time. I used to play on Large maps, which along with Huge ones, tend to last in the hundreds of hours, but that's good for builder-type players. Only recently did I try small and tiny maps, which led to shorter games with quicker military action.

Have fun!
Old December 2, 2003, 14:12   #3
Wolflook
Settler

Thanks purple! I'm going to try to approach this game as a Newbie, since it's been quite a while since playing Civ2 (i have played SMAC also though), and i was never really that good at it.

So it does keep track of game time... is it readily viewable?
Old December 2, 2003, 14:37   #4
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 14:32
I know for certain when you win/lose it will say 'you have won a ------- victory Xhours Yminutes Z seconds'

Try it for yourself by starting a new game and disbanding your settler. Instant loss, but you'll see what Im talking about.
Old December 2, 2003, 14:56   #5
Wolflook
Settler

Thanks snotty. I thought i had tried this last night, but i didn't see the time anywhere. I probably just missed it. Or is it only when you win? Or is it only in the expansions?
Old December 2, 2003, 17:38   #6
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 16:32
It only appears in the first expansion...
Old December 2, 2003, 18:10   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:32
The time is given if you have PTW or C3C.