Old December 2, 2003, 15:09   #1
LairdStatic
Settler

Local Time: 07:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Maps to bitmaps, jpegs, tiffs...
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can help me convert the Civ III maps to pics.
Preferablyto a tiff format, but any format will do.:confused
Old December 2, 2003, 15:40   #2
Patch61
Settler

Local Time: 13:32
Use screenshots. When you have what you want on screen, hit the 'Print Screen' key on your keyboard. Then open any paint program and select 'Paste' from the Edit menu. Save it to any format supported by your paint program.

-Patch
Old December 2, 2003, 18:12   #3
LairdStatic
Settler

Thanx for the idea. I will try that. I was kinda hoping there might be a utility that would do it in one fell swoop though.
Old December 2, 2003, 18:12   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:32
Download Irfanview for free. It will capture screen shots and you can resize them and make them what every type you like. Jpeg at 800 works well for the board.
Old December 2, 2003, 20:38   #5
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

(1) Give a sacrifice of monkey heads and elephant nuts to the Sun God Ra.
(2) Open the game and go to the part of the map you want. (You can press the "Z" key to zoom out and see a bit more of the map.)
(3) Become acquainted with the works of any famous mathemetician, historian, or writer from the ancient Greek era.
(4) Press "print screen" (assuming you still have civ3 open and not a file containing the history of early Rome.)
(5) Without copying anything to the clipboard (do NOT push Ctrl-X or C during this time), exit Civ3.
(6) Click "Start" on the Windows Taskbar.
(7) Programs > Accessories > Paint.
(8) Have you ran all the errands you need to do? Oh, look, I'm almost out of milk/bread/firecrackers shaped like the Guggenheim.
(9) WHEN IN PAINT, press "Ctrl-V" (at the same time) to paste the image onto the screeen.
(10) Paint might in its feeblemindedness ask you that the image is larger than the current one and request permission to enlarge it. Yes, the leprauchan might be telling you to burn the computer, but not yet. Click "Yes".
(100) You'll see your image now. Click "File"
(1000) Then click "Save"
(10000) Then type in an appropriate name (such as civ3map 01-12-03 or **** gephardt is a sexy beast.
(0.1) Bring down the menu next to "Save As Type". Repeatedly bash your head into the nearest brick wall, then click the type you desire.
(0.01) It's never too late to start smoking weed.
(0.001) Click save. Or if you happen to be a dull uninteresting person, hit ENTER.
(0.0002) In the event that your keyboard has become posessed by Satan, you will need to hit RETURN instead of ENTER.
(0.9) There ye go! Now you can listen to the leprachuan and start burning the computer. You might want to remove the hard drive or CD or gasp floppy disk first so you can keep your screenie though.
Old December 2, 2003, 21:35   #6
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Someone ate his Wheaties today.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old December 3, 2003, 02:36   #7
Vince278
King

Re: Maps to bitmaps, jpegs, tiffs...
Quote:
Originally posted by LairdStatic
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can help me convert the Civ III maps to pics.
Preferablyto a tiff format, but any format will do.:confused
I'd love to be able to convert in the other direction.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old December 3, 2003, 02:37   #8
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Someone ate his Wheaties today.
With a pound of sugar.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old December 5, 2003, 06:06   #9
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 14:32
I'm a passionate irfanview user myself, but I just found a tool that will help you save the screenshot. If you're going to take lot's of screenshots you can even set it on 'automatic'. You can also do other interesting stuff with it.

http://chesterway.co.uk/software/cyclops2.zip

You still have to use irfanview/paint to 'clean' things up afterwards though.
Old December 5, 2003, 13:07   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

HyperSnap can take automatic pictures and can crop. I think Hooversnap can as well and it is free. Hyper is not free.
Old December 6, 2003, 13:55   #11
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Its best to get maps from the Editor, create a random map here and play the map in the game.. if you wish for a random one.
The editor allows you to get nearly all sizes or types of map, so you can use the Prt SCr Print screen button to grab them from the screen or use a program like Paint shop pro to grab a specific part of the window.

Maybe theres a way to take save games into the editor , so you can see on the map territory and Fog etc.
At least you can see units on the editor map.

I have written some code for my game that makes maps from bitmaps, if I knew the civ map code format i could make a program to do it for civ3.

Admiral PJ surfing the coast as near as possible.