Old December 2, 2003, 17:07   #1
Crimson Phalanx
Settler

Local Time: 13:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Best/worst govs for old tribes??
I guess all of us have noticed that in the brief booklet that comes with Conquests, for every new tribe introduced a favorite type of government is suggested, as well as the one you should definitely avoid when playing with that specific tribe.

Has anyone any idea about the best and worst type of government for the tribes initially present in the original game?? I usually play with Greeks (I live in Athens after all!!) and I am really interested in finding such a precious piece of information.
Old December 2, 2003, 18:24   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:32
If you are refering to the Shunned and Preferred, it is nearly meaningless. The Greeks prefer Democracy and shun Despotism.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2003, 20:05   #3
Crimson Phalanx
Settler

That's exactly what I mean. Thanx so much, I was almost sure that democracy was the best suited gov for greeks after experiments I did with all different types available. But I think I will disagree with you since it seems to me (at least till now, and with the new tribes) that the preffered gov does function indeed better to a less or greater degree.

Could you please tell me where did you find the information? I would like to have the whole picture with preffered govs for all tribes....
Old December 2, 2003, 20:48   #4
vmxa1
Deity

It is under "personality" in the editor. The impact is very slight on the AI attitude:

AI’s favorite/shunned governments:
-5 Favorite government (only applies if both you and the AI are in this government)
+4 Shunned government (only applies if you are in this government and the AI is not)

The worst that can happen is you switch from the AI’s favorite government, that you both are in, then only you switch to the AI’s shunned government (net result +9). An example would be if you switch from despotism to republic and Egypt, Zulu, or Celts stays in despotism or goes to Monarchy. Or you go to Monarchy and the Aztecs stay in Despotism or goes to Republic. Mongols is the other civ that favors despotism, but democracy is their shunned government.

Favorite governments:
Despotism: 5 AI
Republic: 6 AI
Monarchy: 6 AI
Democracy: 4 AI
Communism: 3 AI

Shunned governments:
Despotism: 7 AI
Republic: 7 AI
Monarchy: 4 AI
Democracy: 2 AI
Communism: 4 AI
Old December 2, 2003, 21:14   #5
Crimson Phalanx
Settler

Thank you very much vmxa1, you seem to know in a great depth how all this stuff works. Actually I never bothered to investigate editor's things. And to be honest, I never imagined that how a gov affects your playgame (even slightly) depends on the AI's gov....
Old December 2, 2003, 21:21   #6
Crimson Phalanx
Settler

Wait! Just realized there must have been a misunderstanding in what we are discussing up to till now!! When we say favorite and shunned govs, we try to indicate that AI's who prefer democracy for examply will be friendly to me if I use democracy as well???

I thought that by saying "favorite" we meant that the tribe would perform better under this specific government.... What is wrong and what is right my friend finally??
Old December 3, 2003, 01:32   #7
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Phalanx
Wait! Just realized there must have been a misunderstanding in what we are discussing up to till now!! When we say favorite and shunned govs, we try to indicate that AI's who prefer democracy for examply will be friendly to me if I use democracy as well???

I thought that by saying "favorite" we meant that the tribe would perform better under this specific government.... What is wrong and what is right my friend finally??
It is how they will see others if they are in that form of government. So if they have Monarchy as a fav and you are in Mon, that is going to gain you some points. It does not mean they will use that form of gov or do better in it.

Most of what I know about civ, I learned here over the past couple of years.

That bit I posted was from Bamspeedy and his article on AI attitudes. You may be able to find the thing here or over at civfanatics.
Old December 3, 2003, 06:25   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:32
Local Date: November 3, 2010
CP - no civ gets a special bonus or negative from being in a particular Government form. Agricultural civs will get +1 food in every city as long as they are not in Despotism or Anarchy, and there are some other similar effects, but these are a result of the civ attribute (Industrious etc) rather than the Government.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2003, 17:35   #9
Crimson Phalanx
Settler

Thanx guys, it is good that I had it clear in my head finally!! And yes, you are right, those forums are an incredible source of knowledge about the game, it is such a pitty I didn't "study" them enough before!!...