Old December 2, 2003, 23:56   #1
KenderBane
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Does anybody else do this ?
Later in the game, when I have the tech to use these units, I will often use ICBMs as 'artillery' to clear a path for ground troops.

Example :

I am invading an enemy continent and my tanks/ modern armor have run into a 'knot' of enemy resistance. Usually a city that has 4 or 5 Mech Inf fortified or something similarly costly to beat down. In order to take such a city, I simply back my tanks away from the target and NUKE the defenders, then move right in. (and my tanks go rolling along).

I've seen many threads that basically say that other people NEVER use nukes under ANY circumstances. They refuse to use them because they are afraid of AI retaliation. I have never experienced retaliation from the AIs I've nuked. Not once. Ever. In hundreds of games. Does anybody else out there actually use ICBMs ?
Old December 3, 2003, 00:46   #2
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:33
Re: Does anybody else do this ?
Quote:
Originally posted by KenderBane
I've seen many threads that basically say that other people NEVER use nukes under ANY circumstances. They refuse to use them because they are afraid of AI retaliation. I have never experienced retaliation from the AIs I've nuked. Not once. Ever. In hundreds of games. Does anybody else out there actually use ICBMs ?
I for one never use nukes out of considerations other than any AI response. If I get to the point that I can build nukes, I've progressed in the game far enough that I can win diplomatically, or I am close to a spaceship win, or the sheer power of modern units (MA, principally) in human hands means a domination win is already at hand with or without nukes. In other words, my reticence to use nukes comes from a desire to end the game efficiently (since I've played far too long already) rather than any ingame consequences to actually using the buggers. In this framework, nukes are worthwhile mainly as a deterrant to a similarly-powerful AI and/or as a prebuild for spaceship parts.

Catt
Old December 3, 2003, 01:05   #3
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 09:33
Quote:
Later in the game, when I have the tech to use these units, I will often use ICBMs as 'artillery' to clear a path for ground troops.

Example :

I am invading an enemy continent and my tanks/ modern armor have run into a 'knot' of enemy resistance. Usually a city that has 4 or 5 Mech Inf fortified or something similarly costly to beat down. In order to take such a city, I simply back my tanks away from the target and NUKE the defenders, then move right in. (and my tanks go rolling along).

What level are you playing on? Try playing a game on Regent and see what a nuclear retalitory strike looks like. (hint: A lot of orange goo)

Also I find it hard to believe that any nation that has been nuked has not retaliated in kind if they have any in their arsenel. In my games any time I nuke an AI the entire world (except AI's I am currently allied with) immediately declares war on me.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old December 3, 2003, 03:40   #4
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

I tend to use nukes only as an economic crippler of a civ I am at war with. I usually run around with huge stacks of Artillery that pound city defeneders to one hit point each then come in with tanks/MA to capture the city. If the civ I'm fighting is a production powerhouse, I nuke his core. Not so much to destroy units, but mainly for destroying city improvements and tile improvements (What use is a size 24 city that has the surounding 8 tiles covered in nuclear waste?). With a disabled core, it will be next to impossible for them to build additional units to fight me with in a timely manor.
Old December 3, 2003, 05:41   #5
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
I tend to use nukes only as an economic crippler of a civ I am at war with. I usually run around with huge stacks of Artillery that pound city defeneders to one hit point each then come in with tanks/MA to capture the city. If the civ I'm fighting is a production powerhouse, I nuke his core. Not so much to destroy units, but mainly for destroying city improvements and tile improvements (What use is a size 24 city that has the surounding 8 tiles covered in nuclear waste?). With a disabled core, it will be next to impossible for them to build additional units to fight me with in a timely manor.
even better. Nuke the capital. Wait a turn. Nuke it again killing most of the workers trying to clear the pollution from the first strike. Nuke the rest of his core. This civ will now have no production power and very few workers to eliminate the pollution
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old December 3, 2003, 07:36   #6
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:33
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber

even better. Nuke the capital. Wait a turn. Nuke it again killing most of the workers trying to clear the pollution from the first strike. Nuke the rest of his core. This civ will now have no production power and very few workers to eliminate the pollution
This, and you, are so very evil.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old December 3, 2003, 11:42   #7
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Oohhh... that's pretty wicked, Mad Bomber...
Old December 3, 2003, 13:03   #8
MoonWolf
Prince

Local Time: 14:33
Hardly get to the point where I'm able to build nukes (or I don't build them untill the AI starting to "nuking up"). But I might use them if a civ continously declare war on me and I have no interesest or ability to start an invasion of it's territory. Using Mad Bomber's (!) strategy is good then, yes (or I'll often bomb away the airport, harbor and roads of the capital. Quite effective in slowing a warmonger)
Old December 3, 2003, 14:45   #9
Mace
Prince

Local Time: 07:33
Using Mad Bomber's strat would mean a lot of pollution, and no workers to clean it up! Wouldn't this be bad for you, the human player, since your world might experience global warming?
Old December 3, 2003, 14:51   #10
Mace
Prince

Local Time: 07:33
Concerning Nukes, I have used them to take out concentrations of NAVAL units; the advantages here are:
1) No pollution to worry about, unless it's next to a coast.

2) a good way to eliminate several powerful naval units (Battleships) in one smackdown.

Usually the AI can't replace it's battleship or AEGIS force very quickly, allowing you to march on in, if you so desire.
Old December 3, 2003, 16:10   #11
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I actually used nukes in my last game. I almost finished the tech tree The reason was that I decided to win via 20,000 culture in one city, and well, even with a rockin' city that takes a while.

The turn before I won via culture, I decided "what the hell" and dropped 2 ICBMS on the Sumerian capitol. I didn't like that city. It was taking up the #2 city spot on the F11 screen. It had to go. And so it did, along with the northern 1/3 - 1/2 of the Sumerian empire. Then F11 looked right. Iroquois purple top to bottom.

If I had been fighting Sumer for real (instead of just doing as much damage as I could 1 turn before winning the game), I would not have nuked them. That's just pollution I'm going to have to clean up, which is irritating. Further, if the game had been closer (this was a blowout), I wouldn't have wasted the shields building nukes in the first place.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 3, 2003, 16:16   #12
QuickGold
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

"Do you know what those things can do? Suck the paint off your house and give your family a permanent orange afro."
Old December 3, 2003, 16:26   #13
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:

Does anybody else do this ?
No, but I can do this:

Does anybody else do this?
Old December 3, 2003, 23:50   #14
KenderBane
Chieftain

bfg9000,

I don't know if I can do that, but I can pat my head and rub my belly at the same time ... but so can a whole lot of other people, too.

Mad Bomber,

Quote:
What level are you playing on? Try playing a game on Regent and see what a nuclear retalitory strike looks like. (hint: A lot of orange goo)
I always play on Regent level or higher. And I've never seen the AI launch a retalitory strike ... probably because my tech lead lets me know where the Uranium is before they can use it, and I conquer all the Uranium tiles before anybody else has the chance to build nukes. But that's a different storty
Old December 4, 2003, 08:33   #15
anteos
Chieftain

can people post some pics of the nuclear strikes? Before and after maybe

Last edited by anteos; December 4, 2003 at 11:33.
Old December 4, 2003, 09:21   #16
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 14:33
Here's an image (from the long ago 'Babylon and On' mini tourney). The glorious Babylonian empire recently nuked parts of China during the course of an invasion (to get rid of a stack of doom), and in response I got plastered by half the civs on the planet. Had SDI, but 6 missiles got through (another 15 or so didn't IIRC, or else I'd not have any island left at all).
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	radioactive1876a.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	58765