Old December 3, 2003, 12:06   #31
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 08:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

I was hoping this thread would stay on-topic about cultural contributions made by non-heterosexuals (of any country, I guess).
From your posted article

"The unhappy tradition continues today. The Bush administration spends billions spreading freedom abroad while at home it devises legislation to deny equal rights to gays and lesbians. What is it with you people, anyway? Are you so insecure about the way you handle marriage that you're scared gay folk will show you up? Trust me, we will make as much of a mess out of matrimony as you do. Just give us a chance. "

The gist of the remainder of the article is obviously true and it is therefore somewhat passe as a subject for comment.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Last edited by SpencerH; December 3, 2003 at 12:48.
Old December 3, 2003, 12:06   #32
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

seriously now!

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old December 3, 2003, 12:13   #33
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:35
I like Harvey more than I like Devine.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 3, 2003, 12:17   #34
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 13:35
Quote:
Originally posted by orange
would you prefer they did it with shame?

Why, exactly, is that so awful?
Explain to me how dressing in drag, and engendering a major stereotype of gays, somehow drives the message home that gay people are "just like us" and deserve the same rights and benefits?

I don't think John or Joan Q Average are going to look at a man in drag (and a butt-ugly one at that), and somehow develop a more favorable attitude toward gays with regard to society and its institutions. It's a stunt, and a sad counterproductive one at that.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old December 3, 2003, 12:20   #35
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

A guy in all red with a beard is not an American...
Old December 3, 2003, 12:42   #36
lightblue
Warlord

Local Time: 14:35
So how exactly is it a surprise that a lot of actors/writers/singers are/were gay?
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old December 3, 2003, 12:58   #37
orange
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jac de Molay
Explain to me how dressing in drag, and engendering a major stereotype of gays, somehow drives the message home that gay people are "just like us" and deserve the same rights and benefits?
Because there is nothing wrong with dressing in drag, and it shouldn't be so taboo

Quote:
I don't think John or Joan Q Average are going to look at a man in drag (and a butt-ugly one at that), and somehow develop a more favorable attitude toward gays with regard to society and its institutions. It's a stunt, and a sad counterproductive one at that.
It's not a stunt though. It's just a person doing something that shouldn't be such a big deal. Why is it such a bad thing, exactly?

Old December 3, 2003, 12:58   #38
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 15:35
They got fired?
Old December 3, 2003, 13:17   #39
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I laughed when I saw that guy dressed as Mrs. Clause... I knew that intolerant gay haters across the country were cringing and crying
Old December 3, 2003, 13:31   #40
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by orange

Because there is nothing wrong with dressing in drag, and it shouldn't be so taboo
Not to you or me, maybe. But again, explain to me how perpetuating a stereotype of gays as effete crossdressers on a "family" holiday persuades folks to believe that gays are just like everyone else. Answer the question.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old December 3, 2003, 13:31   #41
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lightblue
So how exactly is it a surprise that a lot of actors/writers/singers are/were gay?
It would be a surprise I think for many heterosexuals that these guys contributed to the same American culture/values that these heteroes embrace.
Old December 3, 2003, 13:32   #42
MrFun
Emperor

Different people will find different ways to express themselves.

Just like straight people acting crazy and silly at Mardi Gras.
Old December 3, 2003, 13:56   #43
Jac de Molay
Prince

That's not an apt analogy. There aren't harmful stereotypes that straight people are prone to act "crazy and silly"

Maybe African-American men, during holiday parades, should take Harvey's cue and start dressing as gangstas and pimps to promote the achievements and acceptance of African-American men in society.
Old December 3, 2003, 13:57   #44
orange
Emperor

Quote:
Not to you or me, maybe. But again, explain to me how perpetuating a stereotype of gays as effete crossdressers on a "family" holiday persuades folks to believe that gays are just like everyone else. Answer the question.
That's exactly the point. Who says that anyone is trying to persuade folks about anything. That's exactly why it wasn't a 'political statement'. It was just a guy playing a role in the parade, like so many others do.

It's not about perpetuating a stereotype, it's about simply living. Why should that person have to think about how others will view it?

Old December 3, 2003, 13:59   #45
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jac de Molay
That's not an apt analogy. There aren't harmful stereotypes that straight people are prone to act "crazy and silly"

Maybe African-American men, during holiday parades, should take Harvey's cue and start dressing as gangstas and pimps to promote the achievements and acceptance of African-American men in society.

Geez -- I did not know that you were such a PC fanatic that you take festivities so SERIOUSLY.
Old December 3, 2003, 14:01   #46
orange
Emperor

Quote:
First of all, this wasn't an act of "all gays" so this comparison is inaccurate.

Second, your comparison actually is the reverse of what occured. Instead, I think it's the same as if a controversial 'gangsta' figure played the role of Santa Claus in the parade. And even then it wouldn't be a political statement.

Old December 3, 2003, 14:26   #47
Q Classic
Emperor

LIAR!

the only real americans are straight conservative wasps who believe in small government and a strong national defense. anybody else must be gay, a liberal or a traitor, if that's not too redundant.

go to cuba, you pinko! and i'll go back to that country known as asia, as all good chinamen should!
Old December 3, 2003, 14:34   #48
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

But what's wrong with a gay Santa??

Santa is not gay and he never was. Santa comes from ST-Nicolas, a guy that went from house to house giving fruit (apples and oranges) to needy kids. He was not gay and he had a wife. Santa clause is bases on him.
Why do they have to turn santa into a gay guy..!??! I have nothing against gay people but I find the idea stupid and ridiculous.

Just accept it, for the last 200 years Santa has been straight and has a wife. Deal with it.

What is next!?!! A gay Grim reeper?? Gay Satan? Gay easter bunny !?!?! The 4 horsemans are gays and have orgies together!?!?

Omg, this has got to stop.

Spec.

Last edited by Spec; December 3, 2003 at 14:40.
Old December 3, 2003, 14:50   #49
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
That's exactly the point. Who says that anyone is trying to persuade folks about anything. That's exactly why it wasn't a 'political statement'. It was just a guy playing a role in the parade, like so many others do.
How is the hijacking and sexualization of a benign children's hero to extol same-sex marriage not a political statement? He even mentions the Massachusetts court ruling.

Quote:
It's not about perpetuating a stereotype, it's about simply living. Why should that person have to think about how others will view it?
Because same-sex marriage is THE hot-button political topic, and you pick and choose your places to state your case. Anyone indifferent to or against S-s-M would surely react negatively to having hairy crossdressing men thrust upon them during a holiday of peace and rest. I support same-sex marriage and know I would.
Old December 3, 2003, 14:53   #50
Japher
Emperor

I once made a post and got yelled at for it on why I thought Jesus was gay. Is making Santa gay any better?

OT: Anyone going to see/have seen "Bad Santa" with Billy Bob Thorton, it's getting a lot press?
Old December 3, 2003, 14:59   #51
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

There is a gay satan in south park...married to Hitler
Old December 3, 2003, 15:03   #52
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
There is a gay satan in south park...married to Hitler
IT's not hitler, it's Saddam.
Old December 3, 2003, 15:08   #53
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spec
Just accept it, for the last 200 years Santa has been straight and has a wife. Deal with it.
Okay, okay, okay -- Santa's straight.

Just like most pedophiles.
Old December 3, 2003, 15:50   #54
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

Santa is not gay and he never was. Santa comes from ST-Nicolas, a guy that went from house to house giving fruit (apples and oranges) to needy kids. He was not gay and he had a wife. Santa clause is bases on him.
Why do they have to turn santa into a gay guy..!??! I have nothing against gay people but I find the idea stupid and ridiculous.

What is next!?!! A gay Grim reeper?? Gay Satan? Gay easter bunny !?!?! The 4 horsemans are gays and have orgies together!?!?

Omg, this has got to stop.

Spec.
Newsflash -- Santa is not real.

So maybe we can just recreate this fictional guy into at least a metrosexual Santa if not a gay Santa.
Old December 3, 2003, 16:02   #55
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:

IT's not hitler, it's Saddam.
Oh that's right...I always get my dictator's confused.

It was Hitler singing "Oh Tatenbaum"

I still enjoy Mr. Garreson singing "Merry F***in Christmas" to the arabs, indians and japanese...very humorous
Old December 3, 2003, 16:28   #56
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Hmmm...

A over-exuberant guy who wears big black boots, a bright red suit, and a bright red hat, all trimmed with white fur?

Of course Santa is gay!
Old December 3, 2003, 16:45   #57
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Does anyone here read Playboy? Inthe December issues, for at least the past 25 years (as long as I've had access to them), there have been cartoons with Santa getting and recieving Christmas cheer from many the hottie (Man walks in on his wife and Santa, "But I thought you didn't believe in Santa, dear?")
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 3, 2003, 18:34   #58
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
I knew that intolerant gay haters across the country were cringing and crying
I would think that they would be steering their children out of that mall. Sit on Santa's lap?

This whole thread deserves two.
Old December 3, 2003, 19:28   #59
Solly
Emperor

Local Time: 14:35
CLOSE THIS SICK THREAD.
Old December 3, 2003, 20:22   #60
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King