Old March 26, 2001, 09:36   #31
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 07:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
"Such is life in the microsoft universe"
Old March 26, 2001, 10:43   #32
Captain Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 06:13
I am thrilled about the response to this thread... I would say the League is still alive and doing well. I think that Civ3 will be a great game myself (I have not had any trouble with Firaxis games either and response to my E-mails about Civ3 have been encouraging so far).
I intend to build a scenario for Civ3 if they provide the proper tools, but looking at the newer games this will truly require a massive TEAM effort if it is to look professional. Personally, I would not accept "Flat" units in my scenario if the base Civ3 game has 3-D animated ones so there would be some serious graphic work required just to get started.
At that time having a "Scenario League" to call on for help might be the only way to go.

Old March 26, 2001, 12:18   #33
Fiera
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Nemo on 03-26-2001 09:43 AM
Personally, I would not accept "Flat" units in my scenario if the base Civ3 game has 3-D animated ones so there would be some serious graphic work required just to get started.

Why not? I think that TOT scenarios so far have been released without animated units, and I don't see that as a problem... If Civ3 is really good, I think there will be things more important things to appreciate in scns than the animations...

I'd be glad with, say, a Red Front with the units you've already designed, but with more events, more slots for units, a bigger map, probably more civs, more and better diplomatic options, strategic management of resources like oil, and, what's really important, a hard to beat AI.

Same goes for other great Civ2 scenarios, like for instance Jesús Balsinde's Al-Andalus or Alba de América (the ability to have minor civs there would be a God-sent gift).

[This message has been edited by Fiera (edited March 26, 2001).]
Old March 26, 2001, 17:02   #34
William Keenan
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 01:13
quote:

Originally posted by Captain Nemo on 03-26-2001 12:30 PM
Apart from that I would agree that more units, a better AI and a better event structure/language would make a HUGE difference in these scenarios.

ToT has more units and a better event language. What's your take on it Nemo?
Old March 26, 2001, 19:50   #35
Leonidas
King

Even after Civ III is released Civ II and the scenario league will never die.

Exile: Maybe if you could list your computer system specifications, we might be able to solve the problem. Maybe give us your Operating System, video card, sound card, whether its a Pentium, type of CD-ROM, etc. I am sure there is a way to solve this issue. Just think of all the games you will be able to play and enjoy (that are on your shelf collecting dust)!

------------------
Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Old March 26, 2001, 21:56   #36
PolarisGL
King

Nemo, speaking of which, I don't think you ever sent the files again?

I think Firaxis games are adaptive. If you are willing to adapt to them, then you like them. If not, and you are too into the original Civilization II, then you despise or simply not like the Firaxis games.

I'm the latter, I'd have to say.
Old March 26, 2001, 22:47   #37
Captain Nemo
Prince

William:
ToT fizzled as a potential scenario platform because not enough people bought it... I also hear it is very buggy. I considered building a scenario for it when Alex made his "Hispanola" but was discouraged by all the negative feedback I got. I would love to have more units and better events though.
Right now with Civ3 lurking out there in the not so distant future I would be reluctant to learn a new system. At best I will hone my skills on another Civ2 scenario.

Polaris: What files? Did I forget to include you on the last E-mail? If I did accept my apologies and let me know so I can correct the situation.
Old March 26, 2001, 23:32   #38
PolarisGL
King

Remember how it messed up? I got that fixed a while ago, and said you could re-send the files since I had to clean my inbox. So if you need more playtesting, send it by. If not, then I can't wait for the scenario to come out.
Old March 27, 2001, 01:30   #39
Captain Nemo
Prince

I have a tendency towards perfectionism and if I can build 3D animated units for Civ-3 I will! I have already inquired with Firaxis on the format of the units but they responded that it is not 100% set yet so they couldn't make it available at this time.
Apart from that I would agree that more units, a better AI and a better event structure/language would make a HUGE difference in these scenarios.
Old March 27, 2001, 02:54   #40
Exile
King

Leonidas; how kind, an actual offer to help. I'm dumbstruck. But only for a minute or two. I am using a Year-old Gateway machine, 650 Mhz, Athlon something-or-other, the latest Soundblaster card, no idea what video card, just had the thing tuned up last month, High-speed CD rom drive. It's a remarkable machine compared to my last one, a stripped-down 486, but it's difficult to control; sometimes it's unpredictable. Is there a file somewhere that has the information I need?

Your expressed sentiment is heartening; I really would like to play the other Civil War scenarios, and Gettysburg, when it works, is a very good product. Imperialism II looks like a great game. At one point I thought of giving up and just going out and buying a 17" monitor. . .

Thanks,
Exile
Old March 27, 2001, 11:05   #41
Leonidas
King

Exile: It's my pleasure to be able to offer some help. You mention that you can play most older games, but not the new ones. It is definitely your computer and not the computer games.

What Operating System are you using? Win'98? ME 2000?

Also, many computer companies install "generic" computer parts. It would be interesting to find out what make your video card is. If you bought your Gateway a year ago, I would suggest calling them - they should have a toll-free number to call - and get the make of your video card. Some cards like ATI are often incompatible with many new games.

Tell Gateway the problems you are having with some of the games - they may also have a simple work-around solution for the problem. But I'll bet you it's the video card.

Let me know the answers to the above -- hope we find a solution

------------------
Old March 27, 2001, 12:23   #42
Gothmog
Prince

Local Time: 02:13
Leonidas,
As you consider Exile's computer problem, don't forget about DirectX. It might be that the required version of DirectX for these programs never got installed or that the video driver is not certified for DirectX.

------------------
"There is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp."
Old March 27, 2001, 15:09   #43
Exile
King

Leonidas; struggle is the best word you could have chosen for my interaction with this processor. It's a 128 MB RAM, 20 GB HD machine. In my documents, it says that the video card is "8MB AGP Graphics accelerator," whatever that is. Also, I had 128MB 100mhz SDRAM added to the original package; I wanted the machine to be fast. I've heard of the defragmenting process, but am sure that if I try it, disaster will be the inevitable result. You think it'll help? Win98 (2nd edition) is the OS. Yes, DirectX sure is a problem; I have a great-looking game by Talonsoft called Westfront that I can't play because it won't run after installation. When I emailed them, they responded very quickly, but told me that I'd be required to uninstall DirectX and reinstall it after I was done. This sounded difficult and one mistake would invariably end in disaster, so I demurred. The Gettysburg game asks me if I want to install their latest version of DirectX every time I run it, but whether I do or not seems to make no difference when the game runs. It's still screwed up. I finally figured out to run it by switching the 32-bit color to 256 color and it works, sort of. With tremendous pain via trial-and-error, I have taught myself how to manipulate files and the potential of the Civ2 scenario engine was what kept me at it despite mulitple disasters. There were several times that I created entire scenarios then "lost" them because I did something wrong and all my work was obliterated. Even so, I stayed with it and eventually figured out how it was done. But I had some help from some very kind folks at various forums on ACS. The prospect of "defragmenting" has me very worried. I feel like it must be done sometime, but am anxious about screwing it up and losing things.

To date, I have gotten more help from this site than anywhere or anyone else.

Thanks,
Exile

------------------
Lost in America
"a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
"or a very good liar." --Stefu
[This message has been edited by Exile (edited March 27, 2001).]
Old March 27, 2001, 15:39   #44
Miner
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Exile on 03-27-2001 02:09 PM
The prospect of "defragmenting" has me very worried. I feel like it must be done sometime, but am anxious about screwing it up and losing things.

I too have Win98 second edition and I find it quite stable. I also used to be an IT helpdesk person. Defragging is nothing to worry about and it goes like this:

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter

From the little window choose the drive to defrag (or choose all of them).
Leave for several hours as your is a 20Gb drive and will take a while (the more full your drive, the longer this will take).

Deactivate screen savers, I find they have a habit of making the defrag process restart. Simply turn the screen off.

You cannot do anything with your PC while this is going on. Watch a film.

However, your symptoms sound (well some of them) like a video driver/card problem. DirectX is a good place to start as it can cause no end of problems. I believe the latest version can be downloaded from Microsofts website, but I don't know the url...

HTH
Old March 28, 2001, 01:04   #45
Leonidas
King

Thanks for pointing those things out Gothmog. You are absolutely correct.

I am no computer whiz by a long shot, but as most of you know we tend to learn things as we go, and tend to become somewhat knowledgeable from the sheer struggle we have with the day-to-day existence we share with our computers

Exile: What RAM does your computer have? What version of DirectX? When did you update your computer system with the latest drivers? Do you defragment/scan your computer on a weekly basis?

I realize that a lot of this stuff may sound complicated, etc. But it isn't really. Most of this stuff is pretty easy to do - to tweak your computer - yet it's amazing how the 'ol computer will respond with a little TLC

------------------
[This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited March 27, 2001).]
Old March 28, 2001, 18:03   #46
Leonidas
King

Exile: I just noticed something. You had your video display setting on 32 bit. Instead, change it to "High Colour 16 bit" and see if that makes a difference. That is the only colour setting I use. Most games such as West Front, etc use that colour setting. Although, I noticed that Gettysburg! uses the 250 colour setting.

------------------
[This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited March 28, 2001).]
Old March 28, 2001, 18:30   #47
Exile
King

I am going to defragment the thing today. The 16-bit high color is where the thing usually sits, and I only switch it to 256 color to play the Gettysburg game, then switch it back. First defrag, then see what will work, what won't, and address other problems.

I can't thank everyone enough,
Exile

Old March 28, 2001, 20:43   #48
Exile
King

Well, defragmentation is complete and things seem to run a bit faster now. But still no luck with the Civil War Collection or Imperialism II. Both are still doing the same things. Screens that are not showing all the information they should be showing, in the case of the latter, and errors that shut down the system whenever I try to use the former. I tried going at the CWC through the files; clicking on the icon that will start the game. The opening screen shows up, but the in-game error message appears telling me that the game I have selected is not installed. This after I just installed it. Inexplicable.

"We can't do that, General,"
Exile
Old March 28, 2001, 22:05   #49
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:13
BTW, I am working on a sequel to one of my released scenarios.

------------------
St. Leo
http://www.sidgames.com/hosted/ziggurat/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
Old March 29, 2001, 01:37   #50
Leonidas
King

Exile:

1) First, follow Miner's advise and defragment your hard drive at least once a week. The computer does all the work. It will sort your computer files properly and speed-up your machine. Be sure to choose "C" drive to defragment (most people use this drive for all your files). When it is done defragmenting, the computer will prompt you. Just click on the panel and you will be done. Copy the instructions down and do it on a weekly basis.

2) Also do a "Scan Disc" every week. Very easy to do. Click on "start" at the lower left hand screen, then "Programs", then "accessories", then "System Tools", then select "Scan Disc", then click on "start", select "C" drive, and then follow all of the prompts. Use "Standard". Tis will check all of your files and will automatically fix any problems it finds.

3) Also use "Clean Disc" every week. Go to "System Tools" again by tracing the path I gave you for "Scan Disc", and select "Clean Disc". Follow all of the prompts. This will delete all unnecessary files from your computer. Don't worry about this one - only temporary files are deleted.

That's enough for now - I also have Win'98 - and the above features will work wonders for your computer. It will also nake you feel comfortable working with your computer.

The video card you have sounds like it is a generic video card - usually a very cheap card that some computer makers put in their computers. They are not really meant to be used for games. However, all hope is not lost. Do the above steps. Later, we'll tackle DirectX and se if we can't get that viseo card working properly

------------------
Old March 29, 2001, 01:51   #51
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 14:13
Have you tried to run self diagnostic on your PC. It would tell you exactly what is wrong.

I hesitate to mention this. I had a corrupted video driver once (found out after runnig the self diagnostic) and the folks at Compaq told me to delete the video driver by right clicking my Computer and choosing properties/device manager/display adapters/[the driver]/remove. When you reboot, Windows will reinstall the driver from the its library. It worked after that.

However, do not try this without consulting someone familiar with your system. I don't want to be blamed if it doesn't work out.
Old March 29, 2001, 04:29   #52
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 14:13
Another thing you can try is:

right click My Computer

Choose Properties/Performance/Graphics

There will be a slider which controls hardware acceleration, usually set to Full. You can reduce this incrementally by three steps to none to see if there is any effect.
Old March 29, 2001, 12:07   #53
Leonidas
King

Exile: I should have explained earlier - what we are doing with defragmenation, etc right now WILL NOT FIX YOUR VIDEO PROBLEM. We are just preparing/repairing your computer - to eliminate errors in the registry, etc.

Later, we will tackle fixing the game problems. For now, don't try installing or playing your problem games. We will get to them shortly. Since no maintenance has been done to your computer for a whole year, we need to make sure that your computer is running properly, first. Please have patience

1) Now we will run "System File Checker". This will locate and fix any corrupt files on your computer. Since I have been using this, my computer has run like a charm. Basically, the computer will fix itself! Here's how to do it:

Go to "start", then "Program", then "Accessories", then "System Tools", then "System Information". A panel will now appear. On this panel it will tell you how much system resources you have left. How much system resources do you have left? Write it down and let me know.

Next, while still in the "System Information" Panel, select "Tools" from the menu at the top of your browser. Now select "System File Checker". A panel will appear. Click "start". If a corrupt file is located, it will prompt you to place your Win'98 CD in the CD-ROM drive. If you have to do this, click cancel when the Win'98 CD screen appears. Now, click to continue, and follow all on-screen prompts. You computer will locate the bad files and replace them with the good files. If you are asked whether you want to save the bad files as backup, select "yes". Whether corrupt files are found or not, eventually, this program will be finished. It will prompt you when it's done. Then click "OK" and then "close".

Perform "System File Checker" every week along with the other computer maintenance actions we described in earlier posts.

That's enough for now - next up - DirectX

------------------
Old March 29, 2001, 20:31   #54
Exile
King

Ok, here is some of the information listed in the system resources left category;

86% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (17323 MB free)
Available space on drive C: 17323 MB of 19585 MB (FAT 32)
AMD-K7 processor

There was more, but I thought that this stuff was probably pertinent.
When I ran the system file checker, it ran and turned up one file that it said was corrupted; "setupx:dll" It asked if I wanted to fix it, but save the original file somewhere in a folder. I said yes, save the original (just in case) and then fix it. It did. I wrote down the address of the place where it saved the original. I'm guessing that this is a file related to the cursed DirectX.

On a different note, my apologies to Nemo for threadjacking. I didn't intend for this thread to turn into "let's help inept Exile fix his stupid computer." Sorry.

Continuing thanks,
Exile
Old March 30, 2001, 00:03   #55
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:13
Don't worry, Exile. I'm following this thread with interest, and learning what I probably should have already known. I've also purchased games that wouldn't run: Age of Sail and Fighting Steel. In my case, I think it's a low capacity video card built into the mother board. I'll never buy an off the shelf computer again.
Old March 30, 2001, 00:12   #56
Captain Nemo
Prince

The thread was worn out anyway!
Old March 30, 2001, 00:54   #57
Exile
King

Well, it's gratifying (in a strange way) to think that others might benefit from my own admissions of stupidity w/computers. I suppose that's a good thing. Perhaps no one else gets so infuriated as I do about brand new, right-off-the-store-shelf games that don't seem to work. One is allright; you figure that there has to be at least one lemon in the bunch. Two is stretching things; you think maybe that it's just one company that puts out loser-products. But FIVE! AAAARRRGGGHHH! The word "frustration" just isn't sufficiently superlative to describe the level of anger that you feel. If these companies were in my home town, I would literally march into their offices and raise HELL! I would DEMAND that they do something, either get me a new product or fix my freshly-purchased one so that it works. But these companies are conveniently located in out-of-the-way places and far-off climes; too distant to seriously contemplate driving out there and creating a huge scene at their corporate HQ. And then, to top things off, the only real assistance I get is from other gamers here on the forums. Whatever happened to product reliability? Brand-name credibility?

If it wasn't for the graciousness and patience of friendly people like Leonidas, Gothmog, and others, I'd be sh1t out of luck.

Nemo; well, at least you can say that the Scenario League isn't dead. This thread is serving a useful purpose.

Thanks, thanks, thanks,
Exile
Old March 30, 2001, 12:57   #58
Leonidas
King

My apologies too Captain Nemo - at this rate - this will become one monster thread LOL.

Exile: At 86% your system resources are pretty good. I have freed up enough of my computer resources to have 97% free. But I won't go into that now - it can be a bit confusing. We'll just stick to the topic at hand.

Now we'll tackle DirectX:

Go to "start", then "Program", then "Accessories", then "System Tools", then "System Information", select "Tools" from the menu at the top of your browser, and then select "DirectX Diagnostic Tool".

A large panel will appear. There will be a number of tabs at the top of this panel, and there will be information located at the bottom of the panel. Near the bottom of this panel it will tell you what version of DirectX that you have installed on your computer. Please write your version down and let me know.

Then, click on each of the tabs at the top of this large panel. Within each tab, located at the bottom, you will see an area that contains "notes". As you click on each panel, please check this note area to see if DirectX has found any compatability problems in your computer system.

Now click on the "Display" tab. This should tell you what video card you are using. It will also tell you if DirectDraw and Direct3D is enabled or not. If they are enabled you should see two smalls tabs that say "Disable".
Next, click on the two small buttons at the lower right that say "test Direct Draw" and "test Direct 3D". Did they work?

Next, click on the "Sound" tab at the top. Note any problems under the "notes" section at the bottom, and test your sound card by clicking on the "test" button. Did it work OK?

Let me know the results of what you found.

Next up - we'll tackle the video problems

------------------
Old March 30, 2001, 18:05   #59
Exile
King

Leonidas, in the part where you indicated that I should find the DirectDraw and the Direct3D, you said to look for a "disable" button. Do you want me to disable these features? Your instruction wasn't clear on that. When I know one way or the other, I can proceed.

Thanks again,
Exile
Old April 5, 2001, 04:07   #60
Leonidas
King

Exile: My humble apologies. I was away last weekend and when I got back on Monday I was unable to get to this site. In fact I have been unable to get onto Apolyton for three days. Was the site down? or experiencing problems?

Sorry for the delay

As to DirectX - no - do not disable it - I was just pointing out where you can find the features. Most games require DirectX - so you shouldn't have to disable it except perhaps for some older games.

Also: a few questions:

1) What type of mouse do you have? Is it cordless?

2) Do you normally start a game by clicking on the desktop icon for that game, or do you use the start-up screen that appears after you place the CD in the CD-ROM drive?

I also did some digging and it seems that SSI makes games that are compatible only with the Intel chips - so I don't know whether that will affect you or not with Imperialism II. But we'll check on that and see.

Talk to you soon.

------------------