Old April 5, 2001, 06:33   #61
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 01:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Leonidas,
Found everything you talked about ok. Then realized that I had been here before. When I first got this machine, I wondered through many of the various functions and routines available with the windows software (had a lot of time on my hands). I had performed these tests before and so knew how to go about doing it. The only problems that appeared in the "notes" areas were "uncertified" sound and video cards. It didn't say that they didn't work, just that they were uncertified by MS. The vid card is a NVIDIA Vanta. The version of DirectX that is currently installed is 7.0 (4.07.00.0716). Using all the various diagnostics, there were no problems found with either sound or video. Interestingly, the monitor listing indicated that the current setting was "default," but I didn't find a way to adjust that or find out more about it from the screens there. It also listed the 640 x 480 figure; could this be a part of the problem with the failure of the screens from games to "fit" the monitor I'm using?

I use the stock Gateway mouse, not cordless.

SSI is screwy, huh? Too bad. Imperialism II looks like a great game. No Intel chips here, just Athlon.

Yes, the site has been royally screwed the past few days. See the "Apolyton Community" forum for what has been happening.

And thanks,
Exile
Old April 5, 2001, 17:04   #62
Exile
King

Leonidas,
I'll try your suggestion about the monitor. I don't have the documentation that accompanied the monitor originally; I purchased it used at a category killer of some kind in Connecticut several years ago. Perhaps its time for a new monitor. I'll visit the NVIDIA Vanta site when the opportunity arises and see about getting their latest patch.

Thanks so much for the patience and assistance.

Now, if only these games will work, I'll be happy. I'll let you know in a few days.

Exile
Old April 6, 2001, 00:42   #63
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 06:13
Exile:

Everything on your machine looks OK - after going through all of the above tests and proceedures, we now know that your machine is tuned a functioning properly

DirectX 7.0 is fine for all the latest games.

Your video card is from a well-known manufacturer. Although, I would suggest visiting thier website to download any of the latest video drivers they have for this card.

I too have received a "not MS certified" note for my video card (it's a Voodoo3 2000), but as long as everything tests OK, that should not be a problem.

Go to: "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", click on "Display", then select the "Settings" tab at the top:

On the panel that is displayed, make sure the settings are: "High Colour (16 bit)" and that the slider (on the bottom right) is at 800x600 or 1024x768.

You may have to play around with some of the display settings, especially for older games. But if your monitor is selecting 640x480 as default, then that may be where the problem is. If you have the manual for the monitor, have a look and see if it tells you how to adjust it. It should be a relatively simple proceedure to fix.

I'm curious: does the monitor default every time? even though you manually select a display setting that is different?

Just as an example, my monitor does NOT DEFAULT to any setting. It displays what I have selected from the display settings panel.

------------------
Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Old April 6, 2001, 10:31   #64
Leonidas
King

Exile: yes, I think the monitor is the culprit. Best of luck to you.

If you can afford it, I would suggest getting a 19" monitor. Prices have fallen a great deal in the past year, and man does it make a difference in everything I do I have a 19" and it is definitely worth it. You can actually SEE what your're doing And games are far more enjoyable.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how you make out...

------------------
Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Old April 10, 2001, 00:41   #65
Exile
King

Well, this will be my last entry in this thread. Thanks Leonidas and anyone else for your kind offers of assistance, but all has apparently been in vain. None of the programs that I was having difficulty with will work, even after all the things we've done. They still malfunction in exactly the same way as before. Regrettably, my position hasn't changed. I won't buy any new games. I may sell this processor.

Exile
Old April 17, 2002, 03:37   #66
Soundwave
Prince

Local Time: 18:13
I went throught old posts and jsut like to say, SCENARIO LEAGUE IS NOT DEAD!! IT ROCKS!!

-SW
Old April 17, 2002, 03:42   #67
Cyrion
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 08:13
How bored you must have been to go looking through these "oldies"..
Old April 17, 2002, 04:06   #68
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 16:13

Soundwave, are you on holidays or something?
Old April 17, 2002, 04:25   #69
Soundwave
Prince

Local Time: 18:13
I was bored, and it was raining and i wasn't working today thank god, two jobs is hard to hold, three is worst LOL so it was my first day off in ages, and i'm not at school, so i dont get hoildays, i get days off *gets on his knees and thanks god for days off*
Old April 17, 2002, 08:19   #70
winterfritz
Prince

And you spread your precious days off looking through these old threads? Spend your time more productively... work on some scenarios

Last edited by winterfritz; April 17, 2002 at 08:27.
Old April 17, 2002, 11:30   #71
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:13
I am not planning on working on anything new with regards to Civ2. I might patch and revise existing scenarios, but that's it.
Old April 22, 2002, 03:33   #72
Smaug
Chieftain

I am new to pbems and the most and really enjoy playing my first few games although it is hard to get involved because of the lack of pbems being played.