Old December 4, 2003, 23:03   #61
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 06:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
They (whoever THEY are) are talking about a possible nomination for Bill Murray for Lost in Translation.
Old December 4, 2003, 23:09   #62
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

best: finding nemo

worst: scary movie 3
Old December 4, 2003, 23:25   #63
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:36
Lost in Translation was that movie with Bill Murray where he goes to Japan? It looked stupid...

Finding Nemo is my nomination for most overrated movie of the year...
Old December 4, 2003, 23:30   #64
Ned
King

Local Time: 05:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Lost in Translation was that movie with Bill Murray where he goes to Japan? It looked stupid...

I agree on Nemo, Sava.

You actually might want to see Lost in Translation. My wife "dragged" me to see it. But, I am glad she did.
Old December 4, 2003, 23:46   #65
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava

thats because you dont understand it, and dont have anyone to share it with. i feel sorry for you sava.
Old December 5, 2003, 03:18   #66
MrFun
Emperor

Anyone seen the current movie out called "The Missing?"
Old December 5, 2003, 03:59   #67
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I'm having trouble believing all of you guys have seen all these movies you say are bad.

I think you are judging movies from bad publicity and/or previews.

Bad Santa has only been out a few days and you already seen it? How often do you guys watch movies?

And why would anyone watch gigli with all the bad press that movie got? Do you like throwing your money down the drain. Yes it was panned even before the movie even came out.

And am I the only one who doesn't think Kill Bill was that great? The movie had some cool visuals, but it was just dumb.
Old December 5, 2003, 10:55   #68
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

I saw Gigli on a screener from the video store I work with. I saw it because of the bad press and the fact that it was free. As far as I can tell, I'm one of three people who has said they've seen it.
Old December 5, 2003, 11:09   #69
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:36
"I'm having trouble believing all of you guys have seen all these movies you say are bad."

The movies that I have said I hated, I mentioned because I have actually seen them. Want proof? Here's my review of Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas:

It is important to recognize two aspects of the movie immediately: the first being that this is not any incarnation of Sinbad the world has known, the second is that the mythology of this particular film's universe is less based on some strange hybrid of greek and middle-eastern roots, and rather stems more from the minds of the creators themselves. It is an exercise in futility to look for faithfulness, and with this out of the way, I cleared my head of prejudice, to give the film a fair chance.

Perhaps my head was too clear: the misteps of this movie were apparent from the very beginning. The best comparison of the problems really are to Bakshi's Cool World - they lie entirely in the character development. Whereas Bakshi mistakenly wants you to hate Holli Wood, Gilmore and Johnson want you to love Sinbad the sailor. There is a problem in trying to love Bradd Pitt's character, however: not only is he portrayed as a cowardly, greedy, selfish churl, but his character is too self-conscious, too calm, and entirely too cool. This is the sort of 'cool' that seems based on Han Solo, but it all comes through seeming so tremendously forced, so absolutely staged and false that it makes him a larger dork than anyone else in the movie. He has such a smarmy, cocky attitude, that instead of a desire to see him succeed and to get the girl, I wanted to see Eris wipe the floor with him.

Brad Pitt very successfully performs lines like "Okay, here goes. So I meet Eris, the goddess of discord? She's got a major crush on me, and she invited me back to her place." and "Who's bad? Sinbad!" exactly as they're supposed to be played: modern, and tacky. The problem isn't Pitt's, it originates in the script. You could have had James Earl Jones voice the title character, and he still would have come out as about as loveable as consumption. Every chance that the story has to take a scene and make it interesting is spurned in favor of easy hollywood drivel (if you can find a better word for it, please tell me). The only scenes with any intellegence to them at all either feature Eris or concern Proteus, who is finely voiced by Joseph Fiennes.

And it is the treatment of the character of Proteus, an amazing man, that might be my chief problem. Socrates wrote in the poetics it is not right for "equitable men changing from good fortune to misfortune, for this is neither fearsome nor piteous, but repulsive" (Book 13, line 34-36). Not only is Proteus forced to endure suffering, but it comes at the hands of people who are supposedly heroes. In the most intelligent, interesting scene of the movie, Eris flat-out accuses Sinbad of moving in on Proteus' girl. This could have been the most startling indictement of the false film romance ever to have been made, but instead the script simply drops the idea altogether, and continues merrily along its way, convinced that the Hollywood ending is tried, true, and pleasant. Eris raises another issue - what if you do not return with the book? Again, this single line opens up an entire universe for the film to explore, but it does not set a single toe in terrain that could even come close to being considered dangerous.

In the end, Sinband is more than just a bad movie, it is more than just an unartistic movie, it is ANTI-ART. It is a movie where the more you apply thought to it, the worse it turns out, for the movie clearly recognizes that thought CAN exist in film, but deliberately chooses to ignore thought and ideas at every single turn. This is a pity, for some of the images and animation in the film are worthy of note, and again, Eris and Proteus (I have a soft spot in my heart for Rat) are great, underdeveloped characters. Particularly stunning are Syracuse and Eris' supposed land of Tartarus. The only positive things that can be said for the movie are that it is committed to looking good, and that it does not use the ideas it hints at, thus allowing them to be used and explicated by other, better, filmmakers.

Trash.

"Hello - this is my dog, and I am a tool"
Albert Speer
Old December 5, 2003, 13:19   #70
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Anyone seen the current movie out called "The Missing?"

So no one has seen this movie?
Old December 5, 2003, 15:00   #71
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Apparently not. I'm not too keen to see it though - I'm not that big of a fan of Tommy Lee Jones.
Albert Speer
Old December 5, 2003, 19:21   #72
Ned
King

I saw a piece on the "making of Missing" on cable last night. It appears to be glorification of Indian spiritualism with actors using authentic Appache language they learned from one of last 300 people who is fluent in that language.

Which reminds me that on the various Star Trek series, we got to know an awful lot about the religion of the Vulcans and American Indians, etc., etc. etc. These segments exhibited significant respect for such religions. But can anyone at remember at all whether at any time there was mention of the Christian, Jewish and Muslim God? Never. Not once. Ever. People would be killed and dying and never ask for last rights. There was no chaplain on board any of these star ships.

Typical, anti-Christian Hollywood.
Old December 5, 2003, 19:25   #73
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Ned, got enough ammunition for when the islam-hollywood army comes to aptos? the hippies at UCSC will be the first wave! take cover!!!

and maybe on star trek christianity was somehow outmoded for the 24th century.
Old December 5, 2003, 19:29   #74
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MRT144

thats because you dont understand it, and dont have anyone to share it with. i feel sorry for you sava.
Houston, we have a nemo fanboy...

Nemo wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't THE GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME, that people seem to think. I think Monsters, Inc, Antz, A Bugs Life, and Ice Age were better.

OH BUT LOOK AT THE CUTE LITTLE CLOWNFISH!
Old December 5, 2003, 19:37   #75
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
But can anyone at remember at all whether at any time there was mention of the Christian, Jewish and Muslim God? Never. Not once. Ever. People would be killed and dying and never ask for last rights. There was no chaplain on board any of these star ships.

Typical, anti-Christian Hollywood.

Don't they go in search of "the Judeo-Christian God" or what seems like a referene to him, in Star Trek V - the Final Frontier?
Old December 5, 2003, 19:43   #76
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 07:36
Lost in Translation is a great film..it is not flashy and has onyl a few obviously comedic scenes, but the chemistry between the leads is great, and Bill Murray's performance is astounding...shows he can pull of serious acting as well.

I found City of God too long...if you really like a movie you don;t start to notice the lenght-something I did do during City of God.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old December 5, 2003, 19:44   #77
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

it wasnt the greatest movie ever made. i think it is a really good movie for all ages and that it was pretty well written. Im not saying its even top 100 movies of all time, im just saying it isnt overrated.
Old December 5, 2003, 20:15   #78
Ned
King

Quote:
Ned, got enough ammunition for when the islam-hollywood army comes to aptos? the hippies at UCSC will be the first wave! take cover!!!

and maybe on star trek christianity was somehow outmoded for the 24th century.
MRT144 (btw, what does that mean?), Star Trek's vision of a future Earth was very communist in all respects except for its respect for "native" religions.
Old December 5, 2003, 20:21   #79
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

mrt are my initials, 144 is the multiplication of the day of my birth, and the month of my birth.

as for star trek if communism is the society they lived in then obviously there would be no native religion. If it is uncomfortable for you to accept that a show that embraced some form communism was put on american telivision you can always turn the channel to pax and watch the 700 club.
Old December 5, 2003, 20:33   #80
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

"Nemo wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't THE GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME, that people seem to think. I think Monsters, Inc, Antz, A Bugs Life, and Ice Age were better."

Nemo isn't the greatest movie of all time, but it's certainly better than the soulless dreck that is Ice Age.

Worst movies of the year:
Down With Love
A View From the Top
Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
Albert Speer
Old December 5, 2003, 21:16   #81
Ned
King

Quote:
mrt are my initials, 144 is the multiplication of the day of my birth, and the month of my birth.

as for star trek if communism is the society they lived in then obviously there would be no native religion. If it is uncomfortable for you to accept that a show that embraced some form communism was put on american telivision you can always turn the channel to pax and watch the 700 club.
Oh come on MRT. Respect for Native religions is pure Hollywood. Hostilty to Christianity is also pure Hollywood.

We have had numerous threads here on the communist aspects of Star Trek. When the show was first on TV, I never noticed it until one show when they found a capsule that had been floating in space for hundred of years. When they waked the passengers, one immediately wanted to be put in contact with his bank or broker or some such to check how much he was worth. That is when the people of Enterprise started looking at him strangely. Money in the Federation was apparently obsolete.

But, obviously, such a plot device didn't make much sense because in later shows, the crew had some money to spend on planet visits.

But the lack of religion except for respect for native religions like those particularly of Vulcan remained striking.

The new movie, Missing, carries on the Hollywood tradition of respect for Native religions and apparent hostility to Christianity.
Old December 5, 2003, 21:23   #82
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by centrifuge

Don't they go in search of "the Judeo-Christian God" or what seems like a referene to him, in Star Trek V - the Final Frontier?
No, I believe that was a Vulcan God.
Old December 5, 2003, 21:26   #83
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Lost in Translation is a great film..it is not flashy and has onyl a few obviously comedic scenes, but the chemistry between the leads is great, and Bill Murray's performance is astounding...shows he can pull of serious acting as well.

I found City of God too long...if you really like a movie you don;t start to notice the lenght-something I did do during City of God.
GePap, its plot is similar to the love story in Bridges of Madison country; but Lost in Translation is much more effective due to the chemistry. This is one outstanding movie.
Old December 5, 2003, 21:27   #84
Ned
King

Scarlett Johansson for best actress!

Bill Murray for best actor!

Bravo to each.
Old December 5, 2003, 23:39   #85
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

No, I believe that was a Vulcan God.

I think that it was a Vulcan (Spock's brother) who went on the original search for God. ...but it was portrayed by Kirk and crew as possibly being the one true God. Which considering the audience hinted toward Judaism/Christianity/Islam

I will, however, be the first to admit that I'm quite fuzzy about the movie since it's been several long years since I last saw it.
Old December 5, 2003, 23:41   #86
centrifuge
Prince

BTW, you guys are really making me want to see Lost in Translation. Am I right to assume that the chic flick qualities of it don't go overboard?
Old December 6, 2003, 00:10   #87
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

It isn't really a chick flick by my definition of the word - it doesn't have the schmaltz and sappy dialogue of a chick flick. No, instead it is an arthouse romantic comedy, which is extremely well-crafted, but didn't really appeal to me on a gut level.
Albert Speer
Old December 6, 2003, 01:08   #88
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
Worst movies of the year:
Down With Love
A View From the Top
Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas

I only saw View From the Top, from this list, but I agree whole-heartedly that it sucked in damned near every direction.

I'll have to wait until it comes out on video, but I certainly intend to see Lost in Translation...

...Should make my wife happy, since I rarely let her pick out romantic movies. I just hope that it doesn't set a precedent
Old December 6, 2003, 01:14   #89
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Try to find a way to make her want to see lost in translation, then tell her that you don't want to see it, and eventually 'give in' to her requests. You'll seem like a good guy, and I guarantee you it's ten times better than that View From the Top crap.
Albert Speer
Old December 6, 2003, 02:17   #90
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Bad Santa has been in theaters for a while now hasn't it? Anyway, I hated it. Very few even vaguely funny moments, lots of cringeworthy stuff. It was utterly turgid as Boris might say.