Old June 22, 2000, 18:04   #1
kcbob
King

Local Time: 17:03
Local Date: October 30, 2010
ICS vs OCC
I've never played a MP game. I don't have the facilities to accomodate it. But I still love Civ2 and I have what may be a basic question.

When you all are playing a MP game, do you find that both ICS and OCC are played in the same game? Or do most MPers favor one strategy over the other? And if both are used in the same MP game, does one regularly win and can that be translated to single player mode?

Thanks.

------------------
Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited June 22, 2000).]</font>
Old June 22, 2000, 18:14   #2
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:03
I have played MP OCC but it was agreed that that was what we would do.I don't think anybody has had the balls to try in a regular MP game.

Most players try expand as much as possible.You do see ICS but raging hoardes and deity can throw a major monkey wrench into that.Not to mention the players.If I see ICS happening I attack and make all effort to get The Gardens first.

Everybody plays a little differently so you see a variety of styles.Also, early terrain often "forces" decisions.
Old June 22, 2000, 19:04   #3
Mr Dimbleby
King

Local Time: 18:03
What does ICS and OCC stand for?

------------------
No one wants to play with a Charlie in the Box.
Old June 22, 2000, 19:15   #4
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:03
Infinite City Strategy

One City Challenge
Old June 22, 2000, 20:51   #5
Matthew
Prince

Local Time: 23:03
Ithink that something similar to an OCS strategy may be workable, even highly advantageous in mp play, but only in conjunction with an ally or two.

The better OCC players (of which I am not one)have been able to land before 1800 BC in single production, a feat not all that easy to beat with any strategy. Some of the advantages to ocs seem to be that the AI's will often be more magnaminous, youwill never ever get a research penalty for being high on the power graph, and for the same reason you will be able to pick and choose techs because when you are low on the power graph you are allowed to streamline your tech choices much better. For example, you can launch the ship without ever getting either monotheism or communism, as well as about 8 others I think.

In MP you obviosly won't gain diplomatically from human players by being small, but you can still get the other advantages. Without military allies it's a moot point, cause you won't last. But with help military help itcouldvery well be a winning strategy, especially since yourallies could build the ship.
Old June 23, 2000, 07:13   #6
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:03
There was a thread soliciting ways to beat ICS ( http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum2/HTML/001161.html ). I'm still not convinced it's possible .

As for OCC - I don't think you could possibly defend a single city against humans. LONG before you could launch a spaceship, you'd be overrun.
Old June 24, 2000, 15:27   #7
MacUser
Prince

??!!!INFINITE CITY???!! BUMMER! I always thought that it stood for "Insane Civ Strategy"!! Seriously! I saw it in a post once and it made perfectly good since to me!!

I think that I'll continue to refer to it as insane rather than infinite; I do these things to amuse myself

KCBob: What are you needing for MP? Game or online access? If it's the game, look around, it's getting WAY cheap this days! Even for Mac users!

------------------
Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by MacUser (edited June 24, 2000).]</font>
Old June 26, 2000, 18:37   #8
kcbob
King

I don't need the game. I have the Gold edition which included the MP version. Access is the problem. I only have one line coming in to my house, my wife is addicted to the phone, and number two son still lives at home and has a worse addiction than number one wife. Plus, I'm afraid most games would find me with a window of time where I'm unavailable, i.e. sunset Friday to sunset Saturday, and that would probably put a damper on the other players.

Having said all that, maybe I should just bite the bullet and do whatever it takes to get in an MP game. Oh, I also only have a 333 MHz machine with POTS (plain old telephone service). Would my response time be enough to drive me to drink?

You know, I keep coming up with all of these negative reasons for NOT playing. I know part of the problem is that I've never done it and I'm afraid of looking stupid. Not at the game skill but at the hook-up skill. Tell you what. Let me put together a list of questions, I'll post them on this board, and maybe I'll get over this hesitancy.

Then again, my real life is suffering enough with SP, what will it be like in MP mode?

------------------
Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited June 26, 2000).]</font>