Old December 5, 2003, 06:48   #31
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 16:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
There are more than enough aerospace engineers. Not enough money to make them work, give them the enviroment and conditions....
Old December 5, 2003, 06:49   #32
Sandman
King

Local Time: 14:39
Whilst I'd like to think that this is a good idea, I smell a neocon rat. Weapons in space are totally intolerable.
Old December 5, 2003, 06:51   #33
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:39
Privitization?

Mis Novias
Old December 5, 2003, 06:52   #34
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 08:39
Isn't the deficit large enough now?

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old December 5, 2003, 06:59   #35
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
Isn't the deficit large enough now?
own goal.
Old December 5, 2003, 07:04   #36
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

What is this own goal and is it homo-gay?

Mis Novias
Old December 5, 2003, 07:44   #37
uh Clem
King

Local Time: 07:39
Somebody must've found oil up there.
Old December 5, 2003, 07:51   #38
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:39
Why doesn't Dub just cut out the middle-man and swing his dick around in live television?
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old December 5, 2003, 07:52   #39
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

that was original

Mis Novias
Old December 5, 2003, 07:53   #40
Q Classic
Emperor

almost as much as you. see cg.

honestly, i don't see anything coming out of this. this is going to be just like bush's other great scientific plan: that of hydrogen fueling the country, or like his statements involving americorps...

a lot of talk to make him seem forward-looking, but then jack ****. he might say something about space, and getting to the moon, but he won't budget enough for it, either in financial or political capital, for it to get anywhere.

when nasa seems to not have a clue...
Old December 5, 2003, 08:34   #41
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Finally!

I NEVER could understand why we stopped exploring the moon
Can you really not understand this?

Hint: It's a lifeless rock covered in dust. What's to explore?

Dear lord, you'll support anything Bush comes up with, won't you?
Old December 5, 2003, 08:58   #42
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Can you really not understand this?

Low gravity manufacturing facilities, low gravity hospitals, etc... These things could improve quality of life here. The question is: Cost-Benefit.

It appears that there might be some mining opportunities as well. Better to dig up the moon rather than here, don't you think.

There are legit reasons to go back Boris, but the real question is weather or not we could spend the money better here.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old December 5, 2003, 09:06   #43
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman
Whilst I'd like to think that this is a good idea, I smell a neocon rat. Weapons in space are totally intolerable.
And why is that?
Old December 5, 2003, 09:37   #44
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Don't any of you have any pride in being a human? Don't you want to see us spread and survive!??

Geeze, if you guys had been around in 1492, the Americas would be a wildlife preserve.
Old December 5, 2003, 09:51   #45
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
the Americas would be a wildlife preserve.
Well,for one thing, you could.....

Nah, way too easy.
Old December 5, 2003, 10:52   #46
Hueij
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
Don't any of you have any pride in being a human? Don't you want to see us spread and survive!??

Geeze, if you guys had been around in 1492, the Americas would be a wildlife preserve.
I've always hoped to see a manned Mars landing in my lifetime, but after considering this I'm not so sure anymore...
Old December 5, 2003, 12:53   #47
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

For all of you people who oppose the sending, please select the largest part of the budget:
a)1.4 TRILLION -> welfare state
b)400 Billion -> Military
c)15 Billion -> current space program

The correct answer is a.
Old December 5, 2003, 13:07   #48
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:39
Your numbers are wildly wrong.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 5, 2003, 13:16   #49
Whoha
Emperor

You are right of course,
Military spending is actually 340 billion not 400 billion, my mistake.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2003/budget.html
Old December 5, 2003, 13:29   #50
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Part of this is a good idea, part of it is bad. I think setting up an end goal is the most important part, which only the politicians can really do. Mars will do just fine as the end goal. Say we're going to be there in 50 years or whatever and the scientists need to figure out how to do it.

The moon part of it doesn't seem like that useful of a next step, but I'm willing to be convinced. I'm willing to be convinced on L1, L4 or L5 too.

It seems more worthwhile to increase the number and types of things that we send to Mars. An example would include setting up a more permanent Mars communications system. This would make individual probes more robust and/or smaller.

I think NASA needs to live within its means. $2 billion a year + for the space station and $4 billion a year for Space Shuttle are too much for programs that have no bearing to the end goal or for science in general. We might be locked into both programs in some configuration, unfortunately. The space station is important to our international partners, so it's a tough political call to pull the plug on either.

The thing about space exploration is that it takes so long to do. We've been living with a failed policy on about 1/2 of the space program for 30 years. The other 1/2 of the program does really well, so it sometimes masks the problems.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old December 5, 2003, 14:59   #51
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 06:39
would it be cheaper to shoot people off into space, or to pay their social security and other welfare benefits?
Old December 5, 2003, 16:31   #52
Sandman
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
And why is that?
Not only are space-based weapons illegal under international law, but there is no enemy to justify them. They would be built for their own sake, rather than any actual military concern. That's only a small step from waging wars for no reason other than to wage war.
Old December 5, 2003, 16:43   #53
Whoha
Emperor

military help doesnt equal weapons though.
Old December 5, 2003, 17:03   #54
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman
Not only are space-based weapons illegal under international law, but there is no enemy to justify them. They would be built for their own sake, rather than any actual military concern. That's only a small step from waging wars for no reason other than to wage war.
This international law denies one of the most effective incentives for space exploration because of some nice-cozy-fluffy dream.

Do you really think that when there will be lots of human presence in space no one will introduce weapons? Violence will go wherever humans go. Space, like everything else, will be weaponized eventualy and such policies only hinder our progress.

Slightly paraphrasing Col. Corazon Santiago (SMAC seems to have a quote for everything ) :
"Man has killed man from the beginning of time, and each new frontier has brought new ways and new places to die. Why would the future be different?"
Old December 5, 2003, 17:38   #55
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:39
NASA must make an expedition to Europa and see if there is any life in the ocean under the frozen ice surface. If there is anything can happen.
Old December 5, 2003, 19:05   #56
Sinapus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Good thing there are people with more imagination than you running around.

Quote:
Odd, I've been for space travel long before even George Bush Sr. was Vice President.

I wasn't aware one had to be a blind follower of some leader to support something. Perhaps you project a bit too much?

Best you stay here, though. The Earth, after all, is your inheritance, so to speak.
Old December 5, 2003, 19:16   #57
Paul Hanson
King

Why not spend the money to explore space? It's like the early European explorers saying "why bother exploring the oceans to see if there's anything out there? we've got everything we need in Europe".

It's human nature to explore. You may as well spend the money sooner rather than later.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old December 5, 2003, 19:40   #58
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
Part of this is a good idea, part of it is bad. I think setting up an end goal is the most important part, which only the politicians can really do. Mars will do just fine as the end goal. Say we're going to be there in 50 years or whatever and the scientists need to figure out how to do it.

The moon part of it doesn't seem like that useful of a next step, but I'm willing to be convinced. I'm willing to be convinced on L1, L4 or L5 too.

It seems more worthwhile to increase the number and types of things that we send to Mars. An example would include setting up a more permanent Mars communications system. This would make individual probes more robust and/or smaller.

I think NASA needs to live within its means. $2 billion a year + for the space station and $4 billion a year for Space Shuttle are too much for programs that have no bearing to the end goal or for science in general. We might be locked into both programs in some configuration, unfortunately. The space station is important to our international partners, so it's a tough political call to pull the plug on either.

The thing about space exploration is that it takes so long to do. We've been living with a failed policy on about 1/2 of the space program for 30 years. The other 1/2 of the program does really well, so it sometimes masks the problems.
DanS, we could sell both the space station and the shuttle to the highest bidder. The problem is, that no one will probably bid anything for them indicating their true value. Pulling the plug now saves enormous amounts of money that can be better used elsewhere.

The manned space program should be directed to EXPLORATION!
Old December 5, 2003, 19:42   #59
Ned
King

Azazel, perhaps we could persuade Arafat to blast off to Mars if we tell him that all the territory he personally marks off will become Palestinian!
Old December 5, 2003, 19:48   #60
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Ugh.

Just promise a 10 billion dollars prize to the first private company who builds a base on the moon and succesfully mans it with 5 people for 6 months.
It will be 10 times less expensive and more worthwhile than having NASA do it.
Only 10 billion?

EDIT: how about exclusive development rights for, say, the next 50 years?