Emperor

Local Time: 08:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Italians Can Be Great People..
By Chiara Mattirolo
December 2, 2003

Yellow ribbons not just an American tradition

Quote:
Camp Darby – Livorno, Italy (Army News Service, Dec. 2, 2003) -- Yellow ribbons signifying hope for a safe return have been popping up all over America for years. But when M1 Abrams tanks sporting yellow ribbons on their gun barrels returned from an Italian painting contractor, heads turned.

In an unsolicited show of solidarity in the war on terrorism, workers at Armanino Import-Export have been making their feelings known by adding yellow ribbons and prayer cards to freshly painted tanks.

Army Materiel Command’s Combat Equipment Battalion–Livorno has been sending vehicles and equipment to civilian contractors in order to meet a high-priority mission. “I have been working in repainting vehicles for Camp Darby since 1997, I counted over 500 High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles and over 150 tanks” said Umberto Armanino, one of the owners of the Armanino Import-Export, a father & son firm.

Armanino Import-Export first delivered two tanks with a bit of non-standard gear to CEB-LI on Sept. 11, 2003.

“I knew that I was sending these vehicles back on the anniversary of the Twin Towers terrorist attack, so I decided to place a yellow bow on each vehicle to express our sympathy to the United States” explained Umberto Armanino. Also attached was a hand-written card in Italian and English, saying, “May this vehicle bring you safely home by the grace of God…”

When LTC Sandy W. Pogue, CEB-LI commander, inspected the tanks, he was impressed by more than the top-quality paint job.

“I was amazed to such solidarity, especially in these contentious times. Yellow ribbons have a deep meaning to American soldiers and their families, so I was moved to respond to the Armanino’s gesture,” Pogue said.

Pogue visited the shop in the small Italian town of Carrara, in November to present coins and award certificates for continuous support and solidarity shown to Americans.

The Armanino family has a history of comradeship with Americans.

“My father rescued an American pilot that crashed with his plane in Sestri Levante, during World War II. He helped him crossing the Gothic line, and brought him to the United States Command. Since then, thru his bedtime stories, the United States has always been part of our family story,” Umberto said.

“Right after World War II, I started collecting American jeep vehicles, I collected them from bases in Germany and in Holland. These were vehicles that needed repair and were no longer in use. I took them, brought them to my shop, completely restored them, and sold them to collectors” said Armando Armanino, ex- partisan, and owner of the company.

“Since then I continued working thru the DRMOs, mainly Livorno and La Maddalena, I buy old American items, I fix them and sell them. Now all of the family is sharing my project: My daughter Giuditta just opened an American military clothing shop in Sestri Levante, and we named it “Ground Zero” in honor of the victims of the Twin Towers terrorist attack,” he said.

“There’s always two sides to a story. We read and hear a lot about protests, but everybody needs to know that there is a lot of wonderful people here in Tuscany that supports us,” said Pogue.

“It’s a great honor for us to receive this recognition today” Umberto said. “America is a free country that always fought for democracy, the Americans are in Iraq to free the country from a dictatorship. America is a free country, we are allies and friends, we are there to fight for ourselves too.”

So before the cynics get in there and post thier rolleyes and before they go into a tirade about the evil Americans, I'll say my peace.

The two times I was in Italy around the Camp Darby area I had nothing but good experiences from the locals. I especilly loved the Carrara areal. I carried away a ton of marble i bet

My time around Vencenza was a little less nice but that was more due to the living conditions than anything the locals did. More than anything I'd like to hear some more experiences that any of you all had in Italy. There are few places I have loved more than Nothern Italy. I did the whole Rome tour thing but it could not compare to the Northern part.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 4, 2003, 19:22   #2
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 15:39
What can I say about Italy? I love the place. My backyard, that's how I see it. (and that's a good meaning for those who'd wonder)
Old December 4, 2003, 20:09   #3
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 13:39
Italy I may not agree with some of the war, but it's certainly a nice gesture

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old December 4, 2003, 20:17   #4
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 06:39
Italy rocks

I was there for a couple of weeks in 2001, and except for the pick pockets : everybody was extremely hospitable. I plan to go back as soon as I'm able.

I didn't make it very far north, the furthest north that I went was Florence and the furthest south was Napoli. The best places that I visited were all of the small hill towns, the culture and atmosphere was fantastic.
Old December 4, 2003, 20:32   #5
Bereta_Eder
Settler

And Italy rocks because it's a great culture just like the whole of the Mediterenean. With so many milenia of history to draw from, they know what's the deal. Civilized people and worthy to live life.

*starts singing a caza d'irene*
Old December 4, 2003, 21:15   #6
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by centrifuge
Italy rocks
I didn't make it very far north, the furthest north that I went was Florence and the furthest south was Napoli. The best places that I visited were all of the small hill towns, the culture and atmosphere was fantastic.
You have to go up to the North. Very beautiful up there. When I get a chance to go back I'd like to vist some places further south than I had. Of course the area around Pisa was nice too. The beaches there were great.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 4, 2003, 21:18   #7
Bereta_Eder
Settler

oooops what i said had nothing to do witjh americans in case that was thought. just with a certain nw bleached humorless liveless people of a certain island
Old December 4, 2003, 21:22   #8
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
oooops what i said had nothing to do witjh americans in case that was thought. just with a certain nw bleached humorless liveless people of a certain island

Old December 4, 2003, 21:24   #9
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

If I may be a voice of dissent, I don't see why Italy is so special...

...and I especially don't see the point of this article which was a total waste of my time.
Old December 4, 2003, 21:31   #10
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by VetLegion
If I may be a voice of dissent, I don't see why Italy is so special...

...and I especially don't see the point of this article which was a total waste of my time.
You wasted your own time by reading it. You only have yourself to blame. So move along now, and stop wasting your time.
Old December 4, 2003, 21:38   #11
VetLegion
Emperor

I've just begun waisting my time

If I can also be frank it seems to me you (USA) are so desperate for foreign support you quote even the most insignificant examples. Yes, some Italians support USA. But most don't.
Old December 4, 2003, 21:47   #12
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
I've just begun waisting my time

If I can also be frank it seems to me you (USA) are so desperate for foreign support you quote even the most insignificant examples. Yes, some Italians support USA. But most don't.
Your name is Frank

It doesnt matter how many Italians support the US. It doesn't matter if the only Italians that support the US are those mentioned in the story. It doesnt matter except in your little world.

Your a poor troll. Please leave it to those that know how to. Your just annoying.
Old December 4, 2003, 21:56   #13
VetLegion
Emperor

If I provoked a reaction it is not because I intended to troll.

You are entitled to your opinion and your thread, and I am entitled to say what I think about it and I have said it. Simple.
Old December 4, 2003, 22:01   #14
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
If I provoked a reaction it is not because I intended to troll.

You are entitled to your opinion and your thread, and I am entitled to say what I think about it and I have said it. Simple.
Great, you said it. Freedom is secure.
Old December 4, 2003, 22:10   #15
VetLegion
Emperor

Come on, I didn't hurt your feelings or something?

I find this expression of support by an Italian that is making a living of US Army perfectly normal. Expected. I can't begin to see why this is special.
Old December 4, 2003, 22:55   #16
gopher
Warlord

Local Time: 09:39
The Italians and Spainards are the best. Meet them for 10 minutes, they treat you like old friends. Ask them for a small thing, say a smoke, and they will literally force you to take the entire pack (but I don't smoke, I just wanted to see them!).
Then again, it may help that I look like a spaghetti-eating, large-nosed, hariy-backed dago.

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
Old December 5, 2003, 03:35   #17
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I love Italian women the most. Go to Rome, very nice selection
Old December 5, 2003, 05:02   #18
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 16:39
Italians are very much like Israelis, or so I heard.
Old December 5, 2003, 05:07   #19
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

As a cynical that pops up, I have only one thing to say:

Thank you for your attention

Edit: gah, I forgot the tirade about the evil Americans
Old December 5, 2003, 06:16   #20
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

I can do that Spif

- Paul Valery
Old December 5, 2003, 07:10   #21
Kropotkin
Emperor

Quote:
So before the cynics get in there and post thier rolleyes...
Nope, I get you off the hook. The rolleyes smiley has been degraded with some silly hat, you'll have to get by with a

But, no really. What's up with people that have a habit of labeling entire populations as good or bad? And this after a couple of short visits.
Old December 5, 2003, 09:48   #22
Verres
Settler

Quote:
In an unsolicited show of solidarity in the war on terrorism, workers at Armanino Import-Export have been making their feelings known by adding yellow ribbons and prayer cards to freshly painted tanks.

Pretty yellow ribbons! that must look a little disturbing on tanks....but does convey 'the beauty of war' i suppose

Nice gesture, somehow accessorising tanks like this does not seem too surprising for Italy.
Old December 5, 2003, 10:03   #23
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I've been to Italy twice, both for 10 days...

The first trip was with school, where we had to live with some Italian families... And as far as I remember, there were none from my class who had any problems with them... I didn't get to know all, but them I got to know
Specially the family I got to live with

The second time was a hollyday with the family... the people I talked to (of the Italian people that is) were all nice... the only people on that trip who wasn't 'nice to talk to' where our danish guides
Old December 5, 2003, 14:42   #24
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Verres
Nice gesture, somehow accessorising tanks like this does not seem too surprising for Italy.
As with all things in life, it's the accessories that matter

Edit: Ok, maybe today has affected my feminine side more than I realised

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old December 5, 2003, 15:32   #25
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 16:39
Italy is great I agree. They have GREAT GREAT GREAT food, interesting history and culture... Forget about Fiat and Berlusconi, it's a good one

I also like the whole mediterranean thing.. one of the places I really like to visit for a vacation and relaxing. Also beautiful women.. good football.. all in all, it's pretty nice.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old December 5, 2003, 15:48   #26
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 09:39
Quote:
Originally posted by gopher
Then again, it may help that I look like a spaghetti-eating, large-nosed, hariy-backed dago.
I'll have you know that I have no hair on my back, thank you very much.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old December 5, 2003, 15:50   #27
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

OMG, I almost forgot about the women!

The most beautiful that I've had the fortune to see.