Old March 19, 2001, 12:59   #31
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 01:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Cam Hills,
I would be glad to write some reviews. I have played many of the scenarios on the League's site. Some of my favorites, the ones that get the most play, already have 2 reviews posted though. Do you want more? I don't want to be redundant. What really makes me reluctant to review others' scenarios is fear of retaliation. I have scenarios out there myself. If I give a review that is seen as not supportive of someone else's hard work, if they think that I'm simply bashing them, will they be prompted to strike back and suddenly write a scathing review of one of mine? Or, if all I write is super-enthusiastic, praising reviews, how much credibility will these have? I suppose the real answer is a middle path between the two poles. But I'd like to be honest; if a scenario stinks, it stinks. If I say it doesn't, and somebody downloads and plays it, and then thinks it stinks, they're going to dismiss any further reviews of mine as fluff.

If there were some sort of objective system of scoring, I certainly would write a few reviews of the scenarios that I've played. But I am hesitant to voice my own, completely subjective judgements on others' work.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Curious,
Exile

------------------
Lost in America
"a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
"or a very good liar." --Stefu
[This message has been edited by Exile (edited March 19, 2001).]
Old March 23, 2001, 02:14   #32
Cam
King

Local Time: 15:44
quote:

Originally posted by kobayashi on 03-19-2001 4:25 AM
Just thinking that you should change the S-League mail link permanently to your bigpond email. After all, you don't want stuff to disappear into the blackhole of the apolyton mailbox. Everyone who has read this thread is going to do that anyway.

It's a good suggestion - unfortunately the Scenario League is riddled with e-mail links to the sleague@apolyton.net mailbox, and it would take some time to amend every page. As you're aware, I'm waiting for WarVoid's new computer to arrive so that this problem will be rectified as he and Stefan assume 'the mantle'. As always, apologies for the inconvenience, and I hope that this won't persist as a difficulty for too much longer.

quote:

Originally posted by Exile on 03-19-2001 11:59 AM
Cam Hills,

I would be glad to write some reviews. I have played many of the scenarios on the League's site. Some of my favorites, the ones that get the most play, already have 2 reviews posted though. Do you want more?

Absolutely. If you focus on scenarios written by 'active authors', your efforts as a reviewer will probably be of greater value. I'm sure any author would like as much well considered feedback that they can get.

quote:

What really makes me reluctant to review others' scenarios is fear of retaliation.

In cyberspace, no one can hear you scream...!

quote:

But I'd like to be honest; if a scenario stinks, it stinks. If I say it doesn't, and somebody downloads and plays it, and then thinks it stinks, they're going to dismiss any further reviews of mine as fluff.

Try to be honest, but try also to be constructive.

quote:

But I am hesitant to voice my own, completely subjective judgements on others' work.

The League reviews' real value is in the critical approach to how the scenario is constructed and whether it works well or not. Even authors who have their scenario 'blasted' (which almost never happens anyway) usually learn some lessons from the experience. We urge reviewers to explore the positives in even mediocre scenarios. If you don't feel comfortable in handing out a scathing review - don't. The best review, I'd suggest, is one where there is recognition of several strong points (e.g. imaginative theme, clever use of some Civ2 quirk, great technology use, whatever...) but still room for improvement. You can concurrently praise the scenario and lend some helpful advice or feedback.
Old March 24, 2001, 01:15   #33
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 01:14
Thanks for the reply, Mr. Hills. I still want an objective scoring system, though. If there were one, you would see several new reviews from me, for certain.

Salutations,
Exile

------------------
Lost in America
"a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
"or a very good liar." --Stefu
Old March 25, 2001, 22:20   #34
Cam
King

quote:

Originally posted by Cam on 12-05-2000 07:48 PM
One future addition, WarVoid has noted; "I'm also working on a new streamlined version of the review form which will hopefully make it a LOT easier for people to review scenarios."... so I look forward to posting that when it's done.

Exile,

Two responses;
(a.) Ideally this new review form (when presented) may offer you some succour re. the scoring dilemma, and
(b.) While I'm still 'in the Chair', I'd be pleased to receive your review(s) - even if you choose not to submit a score.

[This message has been edited by Cam (edited March 25, 2001).]
Old April 20, 2001, 02:36   #35
Cam
King

The last month or so has been a little frustrating as I have been unable to update the League's site or access the e-mail. I've tried to deal with what has been sent to me directly via my c.hills@bigpond.com e-mail address as best I can, however;

(a.) All reviews that I've received have been sent onto Stefan for processing,
(b.) BeBro's 'Imperium Romanum' is downloadable from the new site at; http://civ2000.civ2.gamesweb.de/engl...iumRomanum.htm (the current link in the League's 'To be reviewed' section is broken), and
(c.) I've requested of Dan and Markos that Stefan and WarVoid take over the League, which will bypass my technical difficulties regarding the server, while also allowing two new editors the opportunity to reshape the site.