Old December 5, 2003, 06:01   #31
Vince278
King

Local Time: 13:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Next thing, the Daleks in Doctor Who will be upgraded to humanoid bodies that look surprisingly like Playboy Playmates.
Cool! Then Davros would be Larry Flynt in his wheel chair.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old December 5, 2003, 12:29   #32
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 06:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278

What perspective is that? The 70's just can't compare when it comes to budgeting and effects but that does not diminish the quality of the visionary writing. A lot of the best Sci-Fi comes from writers just before my time. The Lensman series in the 40's inspired the creation of Star Trek and Babylon 5.
Your expectation for movie producers shouldn't be stuck at 70's level.

Movies that were made for the purpose of 'cool' are no longer the case after x years.
Old December 5, 2003, 12:36   #33
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:39
I am disappointed in the human-looking Cylons. Why do they want to look human anyway? What purpose does it serve? Tricking us?

The old Cylons were so much cooler.

The real Cylons were lizards, not robots anyway, but they changed that for the movie.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 6, 2003, 02:44   #34
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I actually liked the old show. This will never come close
Old December 6, 2003, 03:27   #35
Vince278
King

Lucifer was a cool looking Cylon in the old show.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
Old December 6, 2003, 03:33   #36
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless
Your expectation for movie producers shouldn't be stuck at 70's level.
Not at all, I thought that was what you were trying to say. My expectations for movie producers in the 70's is at 70's level but that does not diminish the quality of a story, whenever it was written or produced. Some stories, of course, still suck no matter how good a movie production is.
Old December 9, 2003, 00:24   #37
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 08:39
Well, it wasnt so bad. It's just the first so I cant really judge it yet but I thought it was pretty good. The old Cylons are still there along with the newer ones. And I actually like the female Starbuck. she is a smartass. I like that.

Anyway, im sure some of you will find plenty wrong with it but I liked it.. Of course i may get tired of it later on but for now it's pretty good..
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 9, 2003, 00:52   #38
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Hey, it was better than the original! OK, that's not saying much. It was better than most stuff produced by the Sci-Fi channel. OK, that's not saying much. All kidding aside it was pretty good. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Is it just me, or does it seem like almost everything the Sci-Fi channel tries to make from scratch stinks, but when they remake something, or pick up a series already begun elsewhere they sometimes do a relatively good job?
Old December 9, 2003, 01:05   #39
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Is it just me, or does it seem like almost everything the Sci-Fi channel tries to make from scratch stinks, but when they remake something, or pick up a series already begun elsewhere they sometimes do a relatively good job?
I think your on to something there
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 9, 2003, 03:35   #40
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
It's just you.

Farscape was good, Invisible Man was good (cultishly bad, and thereby good), Taken was good - all original.

Sliders blew (of course the Fox version did too), SG-1 sux, Tremors bites, and the B5 movie (about the cursed ship) soiled B5 - all of these were remakes or continuations.

BG was decent (but i thought the orginal blew goat balls so there you go ...)
Old December 9, 2003, 14:36   #41
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar

It's just you.

Farscape was good, Invisible Man was good (cultishly bad, and thereby good), Taken was good - all original.

Sliders blew (of course the Fox version did too), SG-1 sux, Tremors bites, and the B5 movie (about the cursed ship) soiled B5 - all of these were remakes or continuations.

BG was decent (but i thought the orginal blew goat balls so there you go ...)
I liked Farsecape at first. After awhile it kind of lost interest.

Anyway, a new episode is on tonight with a repeat of last nights before it i think. The original had a lot of potential but it ended up sucking I don't see any problems so far with the new series. The characters seem to be more real than the ones in the orginal but only time will tell...
Old December 9, 2003, 15:00   #42
Thrawn05
King

Farscape was very good and I liked it. The new management at the channel (I forget the woman's name) is trying to get away from the "hardware sci-fi", though it seems nerds all accross the world are having an impact. BG sucked even from the commercials. I decided to watch the hebrew hammer on Comedy Central. That was more fun.
Old December 9, 2003, 15:50   #43
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
And I actually like the female Starbuck. she is a smartass. I like that.
A female playing Starbucks' role? Utter blasphemey!!! Utter feldercarb!

Smartass people are only good for one thing. A big beating. A beating so big that they stop being smartassess and turn into cowering piles of junk.

Life is full of smartassess, rude people, people with chips on their shoulders. I'm tired of my tv shows portraying the same garbage. This is why I stick to computer games (C3C for example) as entertainment.
Old December 9, 2003, 15:57   #44
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
BG sucked even from the commercials. I decided to watch the hebrew hammer on Comedy Central. That was more fun.
I watched both - and my wife wasn't impressed with either. I don't think I'll be allowed to pick a show for awhile (although I did pick out Cambridge Spies a few weeks ago and she really liked that).
Old December 9, 2003, 16:07   #45
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Sci-fi channel is over-sexxed.

And Starbuck being played by a woman doesn't bother me, but the name does. I mean, 'buck' isn't exactly spewing of feminine connotations.
Old December 9, 2003, 16:22   #46
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 07:39
Quote:
SG-1 sux,
Take that back! SG-1 is a great show.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old December 9, 2003, 16:39   #47
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Cookie Monster

A female playing Starbucks' role? Utter blasphemey!!! Utter feldercarb!

Smartass people are only good for one thing. A big beating. A beating so big that they stop being smartassess and turn into cowering piles of junk.

Life is full of smartassess, rude people, people with chips on their shoulders. I'm tired of my tv shows portraying the same garbage. This is why I stick to computer games (C3C for example) as entertainment.
Did we forget our medication this morning
Old December 9, 2003, 17:29   #48
CorpusScorpius
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:39
I thought last night's show was pretty good. I cant wait to to see the finale tonight. They are suppose to announce on Dec 31 if they are going to turn it into a series or not. If they turn it into a series, it can not be any worse than some of the Enterprise episodes.............
Old December 9, 2003, 17:43   #49
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat

Quote:
quote:
...SG-1 sux...
Take that back! SG-1 is a great show.
Upon this we can both agree: The Templar is a blasphemous infidel.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old December 9, 2003, 18:35   #50
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
If I'm elected President, I'd pass an amendment making it mandatory every show on basic cable has to have full frontal female nudity.
Smartest thing youever said.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old December 10, 2003, 02:40   #51
Vince278
King

Lets not forget that the Sci-Fi channel butchered the hell out of Dune. (Saudarkar wearing chef hats? The old movie with Sting in it was better.)
I was also watching the Hebrew Hammer.
Old December 10, 2003, 12:42   #52
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber

Did we forget our medication this morning
ahem, yeah I think so!

Anyway read my sig. Get rid of Starbuck!!!!!
Old December 10, 2003, 12:46   #53
Vesayen
King

I really liked it, will it be a new series?
Old December 10, 2003, 12:47   #54
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Vesayen
I really liked it, will it be a new series?
From what I read it is only going to be a miniseries. Who knows though, if it is successfull it might run for a while.
Old December 10, 2003, 12:47   #55
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

yea, Sci-Fi generally butchers the story of anything they can get their hands on. That said the 3d sequences with stuff blowing up were quite well done, if it leaves one to wonder how they will replace lost munitions expended over time.
Old December 10, 2003, 13:01   #56
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 14:39
Wouldn't making apollo a woman been better, he was dull as **** anyway.

Starbuck was great as of course was Face
Old December 11, 2003, 04:22   #57
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Whoha
yea, Sci-Fi generally butchers the story of anything they can get their hands on. That said the 3d sequences with stuff blowing up were quite well done, if it leaves one to wonder how they will replace lost munitions expended over time.
That was an issue not fully examined on the old TV show besides occasionally looking for fuel and parts. However, I thought their weapons were of the energy discharge type (except for the missles on the Battlestar Pegasus).
Old December 11, 2003, 04:29   #58
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

is that muphet dog thing on this show. I loved that as a kid. Of course I was a kid, so I liked stupid things like that.

But I don't like the silons being human-like . I really enjoyed the old silons.

and they took away the journey to find Earth . I really liked that part of the old series.
Old December 11, 2003, 04:38   #59
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Took away the journey to find Earth? Which SciFi channel were you watching? They took the emphasis off of it, certainly, but if this gets made into a series (of episodes or another mini series) they'll certainly encounter clues that they're mistaken about Earth's non-existance.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old December 11, 2003, 04:40   #60
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I was just reading the article on the CNN website. I haven't actually watched the show. In fact, I almost never watch the sci-fi channel.