Old December 4, 2003, 23:22   #31
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 13:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
Also Canadians, don't embarass yourselves Just take it in stride
Actualy, I rather be in Canada than anywhere else in the world (though I respect almost every country out there very much). Pollution is low. And we'd have much less if our neighbors from the south took care of their pollution emissions and didn't send us 14 tones of pollution by air. We produce only 7 tones a year (All this in the province of Quebec). Although we pay high taxes we have many free services such as healthcare. We have no natural disasters, 4 seasons (-20 Celsius, yes Celsius in winter and 35 Celsius in the summer). With a Canadien passport you can get into any country. We have practicly no army (We have 4 boats and one of them leaks ) and no need for one (It's just for looks ) because the US does the job for us. Economicly, we are doing very well. Or growth is higher than the US's, in fact our dollar has gained a lot latetly. Ummmm....what else..... oh yea, crime rate is low....gun control...bilingual (well, we try! )...cutest girls in the world ...in french we have more than 30 curse words of different levels of anger that really helps you define our anger ...and Im sure I am forgeting lots.

We may not be many, we may not be proud but we sure are oblivious of the luck we all have of being born in this country. Sadly.

Spec.

Last edited by Spec; December 5, 2003 at 01:24.
Old December 4, 2003, 23:28   #32
Ned
King

Local Time: 05:40
Spec, I thought you Canadian despised pride in one's own country. You are not a true Canadian!
Old December 4, 2003, 23:29   #33
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:40
Quote:
we may not be proud
Really?
Old December 4, 2003, 23:30   #34
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Spec, I thought you Canadian despised pride in one's own country. You are not a true Canadian!
Molson's is on a campaign to change that.

If you look closely, you can see a beaver scurrying about behind the smilies, and many of them do have toques.
Old December 5, 2003, 01:24   #35
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Well, read again.

Quote:
We may not be many, we may not be proud but we sure are oblivious of luck we all have of being born in this country. Sadly.

Spec.
Old December 5, 2003, 01:31   #36
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 08:40
Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo
[Make Love to] the USA by the Exploited, a UK punk group.
They aren't very good, are they?
Old December 5, 2003, 06:38   #37
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:40
You can't put a wedge between the US/UK alliance Curly Spartan

First of all we all like them too much

Secondly they make fun of themselves more than anyone else

Mis Novias
Old December 5, 2003, 07:44   #38
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 14:40
The French were there first, given that we were at war with them for several hundred years through our history, but the Australians actually bothered to come up with a name for this sport, so please call this "Pommie-bashing" and nothing else!
Old December 5, 2003, 08:59   #39
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:40
Quote:
Originally posted by VetLegion
People in USA work their butts off as much as anyone in the world if not more (statistics show that), so if they spend their dollars on watching opera all day
If only!
Old December 5, 2003, 09:13   #40
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spec

Actualy, I rather be in Canada than anywhere else in the world (though I respect almost every country out there very much). Pollution is low. And we'd have much less if our neighbors from the south took care of their pollution emissions and didn't send us 14 tones of pollution by air.
14 tons?That's pretty insigifigant. Why, I live right underneath a smoke stack that can pump out 5,000 tons of sulpher emissions in a day. Don't worry, though... after the smoke killed everything in the area with acid rain and poisoned all the lakes, they built it bigger so it'd drift around more - or, as I once heard someone joke, so that it'd all go down to Toronto.

Quote:
We produce only 7 tones a year (All this in the province of Quebec).
Yeah, right. 7 tons of what? Certainly a hell of alot more then that coming out of Quebec's smoke stacks

Quote:
We have no natural disasters
Yeah, only floods, ice storms, tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes...

Quote:
4 seasons (-20 Celsius, yes Celsius in winter and 35 Celsius in the summer).
-20? Southerners.

Quote:
With a Canadien passport you can get into any country. We have practicly no army (We have 4 boats and one of them leaks ) and no need for one (It's just for looks ) because the US does the job for us. Economicly, we are doing very well. Or growth is higher than the US's, in fact our dollar has gained a lot latetly. Ummmm....what else..... oh yea, crime rate is low....gun control...bilingual (well, we try! )...cutest girls in the world ...in french we have more than 30 curse words of different levels of anger that really helps you define our anger ...and Im sure I am forgeting lots.
Whoa, you didn't even mention beer.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 5, 2003, 09:19   #41
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 15:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
Curly Spartan
Curly Athenian please.
Old December 5, 2003, 09:38   #42
Verres
Settler

Hey, at least a larger proportion of english people can actually speak your language, paiktis. Not all us english people are completely ignorant
Old December 5, 2003, 09:50   #43
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by VetLegion
What is it in your avatar paiktis? A Greek partisan?

Yes, here she is full size.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	meletzis-038.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	58910  
Old December 5, 2003, 09:51   #44
Bereta_Eder
Settler

http://www.leica-academy.gr/portfoli...s/meletzis.htm
Old December 5, 2003, 10:00   #45
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

Yeah, only floods, ice storms, tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes...

What?!?! Ice storm, I,ll give it to you....and it happened once in 99. But tornados, hurricanes and earthquaked!?!? Never seen that around here. The strongest winds we get is about 80kmh and that's once every ten years. Tornados, never. As for earthquakes, I dont count 1.2 on the rector scale an earthquake.

Oh yea! And the beer is great!!

Spec.
Old December 5, 2003, 10:13   #46
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:

What?!?! Ice storm, I,ll give it to you....and it happened once in 99. But tornados, hurricanes and earthquaked!?!? Never seen that around here. The strongest winds we get is about 80kmh and that's once every ten years. Tornados, never. As for earthquakes, I dont count 1.2 on the rector scale an earthquake.
Hurricanes don't often make their way all the way up here with enough punch to do signifigant damage, but Hurricane Hazel, for instance, killed 80 some people in Toronto during the 50s. (with people drowning in the streets, apparently)

There's alot of tornados in southern ontario, I don't know how common they are in other regions.

As for earthquakes, there's alot of those, too - mostly on the west coast, i think, but apparently there was a 4.6 in quebec during october.

With a country as big as Canada you'll end up geting alot more 'disasters' than most countries, but the population is so sparse that they'll rarely have a direct impact on humans or cities.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 5, 2003, 11:07   #47
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 23:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch The NHS is about to die due to lack of funding, we kill our train passenger through shoddy maintenance, we have a government with no opposition... *moan moan moan*....
Yeah, tell me about it...

Bleedin' Blair thinks he's god and wants to introduce top up fees, strikes on the Underground, postal strikes, f*cking poll tax (oh sorry, council tax) gone up by at least 10% maybe same again next year because of Labour scum stealth taxes by that f*ckwit two jabs Prescott... *gripe, whinge, moan*

Thanks for the thread Piak, I can never be bothered doing UK bashing threads cos everyone ends up agreeing and that's no fun when you're looking for a good argument!

But it is nice to get the moans of ones chest...
Old December 5, 2003, 11:36   #48
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch

Its the weather, it makes us all depressed whinging old fools.
Could be why many of them buy houses in the south of France where they spend happily their pension.
Old December 5, 2003, 15:31   #49
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:

Hurricanes don't often make their way all the way up here with enough punch to do signifigant damage, but Hurricane Hazel, for instance, killed 80 some people in Toronto during the 50s. (with people drowning in the streets, apparently)

There's alot of tornados in southern ontario, I don't know how common they are in other regions.

As for earthquakes, there's alot of those, too - mostly on the west coast, i think, but apparently there was a 4.6 in quebec during october.

With a country as big as Canada you'll end up geting alot more 'disasters' than most countries, but the population is so sparse that they'll rarely have a direct impact on humans or cities.
Tornados show up on the prairies.

But when you think about it, we get very few of mother natures calamities compared to other places.
Old December 5, 2003, 15:35   #50
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 08:40
Quote:

Actualy, I rather be in Canada than anywhere else in the world (though I respect almost every country out there very much). Pollution is low. And we'd have much less if our neighbors from the south took care of their pollution emissions and didn't send us 14 tones of pollution by air. We produce only 7 tones a year (All this in the province of Quebec). Although we pay high taxes we have many free services such as healthcare. We have no natural disasters, 4 seasons (-20 Celsius, yes Celsius in winter and 35 Celsius in the summer). With a Canadien passport you can get into any country. We have practicly no army (We have 4 boats and one of them leaks ) and no need for one (It's just for looks ) because the US does the job for us. Economicly, we are doing very well. Or growth is higher than the US's, in fact our dollar has gained a lot latetly. Ummmm....what else..... oh yea, crime rate is low....gun control...bilingual (well, we try! )...cutest girls in the world ...in french we have more than 30 curse words of different levels of anger that really helps you define our anger ...and Im sure I am forgeting lots.

We may not be many, we may not be proud but we sure are oblivious of the luck we all have of being born in this country. Sadly.

Spec.
Does this post count as a recent post with the most smilies in it??
Old December 5, 2003, 15:39   #51
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 09:40
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Is paiktis22 sick, or is this about the Marbles?
yup the marbles.'

and before the US got involved in keeping the Reds from taking over Greece, the Brits were doing. Hell, they dragged us into that. Unforgiveable crimes, really.
Old December 5, 2003, 15:49   #52
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

But when you think about it, we get very few of mother natures calamities compared to other places.
No we don't, it's just that most of the 'calamities' happen out in the middle of nowhere with only a handful of people effected at most. We have alot of land with very few people. We've got our numbers spread thin, so the odds of anything doing serious damage are pretty low.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 5, 2003, 16:53   #53
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 23:40
Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

yup the marbles.'

and before the US got involved in keeping the Reds from taking over Greece, the Brits were doing. Hell, they dragged us into that. Unforgiveable crimes, really.
You know, the reason people think I'm always trolling (not true!) the US is only because I'm watching making the same 'mistakes' we did...

Piaktis can't troll me, I just end up agreeing with him...
Old December 5, 2003, 16:56   #54
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
And the americans are not so damn racist as the english from what I could see in these forums.
Hey! We are too, USA #1!!!
Old December 5, 2003, 17:52   #55
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MOBIUS

You know, the reason people think I'm always trolling (not true!) the US is only because I'm watching making the same 'mistakes' we did...

Piaktis can't troll me, I just end up agreeing with him...
so you think Truman supporting the Greek govt during the civil war was a mistake?
Old December 5, 2003, 18:39   #56
The Viceroy
Prince

Ha ha ha ...

Your inferiority complex is really going places Paiktis22 ..

I would make some childish comment about your country, if it wasn't for the fact I actually like it.

So "Yas sou" to you brother .. cool down, the "Bomb-bing" has stopped over belgrade, you can go home, enjoy your oozo .. and the warm weather you get .. thinking of us with our lovely 7'c cloudy, congested roads and monotonous lives .. then you will need not start threads like this.
Old December 5, 2003, 18:59   #57
Paul Hanson
King

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22

Yes, here she is full size.
She? Seriously patty-cakes, that's a ****ing man. Come on now.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old December 5, 2003, 20:40   #58
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
No we don't, it's just that most of the 'calamities' happen out in the middle of nowhere with only a handful of people effected at most. We have alot of land with very few people. We've got our numbers spread thin, so the odds of anything doing serious damage are pretty low.
Hmmm.

Frequency and severity of hurricanes, very seldom and usually just a brisk wind by the time they get to us.

Frequency and severity of tornadoes, more common on the Prairies than hurricanes in the East, but not the massive twisters of Kansas fame either.

Frequency and severity of earth quakes, here's one for you partially. We get them in some very unpopulated areas, like the northern Rockies. However, we never get as many as people living near more unstable areas. But again on your side, when the big one(s) come for California parts of BC are likely to be devestated too (specifically the densely populated parts around Vancouver and on the Island).

In several categories of weather related events, we don't get anything close to what some other places suffer. Of course, that has to be balanced by the yearly -20 or -40c so...

Geologically, Canada is also far more stable than many less fortunate areas. You are correct though that in some places where it is less stable we don't have any large populations. However, in the areas where we do have population centres and are not on the Shield, things have been much more stable than they have been for others.

All in all, I think we should count our catastrophe blessings. Geography has not been totally unkind to us.
Old December 6, 2003, 02:29   #59
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher

Hey! We are too
No you're not! Sorry. Got to try harder.

And Mobius doesn't agree with me! (well he does but doesn't show it). He's one of the minority Brits that don't crawl into a foetus position whenever something's said about the UK! Propably because he's Welsh and needs to appear more loyal than the King.

And what inferiority complex Viceroy? I simply play with you. Have any better ideas to dispell my boredom than to troll Schtroumpfs?
Old December 6, 2003, 03:09   #60
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
She? Seriously patty-cakes, that's a ****ing man. Come on now.
No, paiktis is correct. That is a Greek woman and a pretty representative one at that.