i feel better about backing out of Diety level Civ3
Old December 26, 2004, 14:14   #422
SSBLoveU
Warlord

Local Time: 09:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by techtedg
does anyone actually have any idea how long it will be until we can see IV in the stores?
At least there are more hits when I do a web engine search, nothing firm from what I can read.
Old December 27, 2004, 01:35   #423
Addled Platypus
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMCall to Power PBEMCivilization IV PBEMBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 06:40
from the pages of PC gammer 2005

other games had more specific dates (summer 2005)

they gota keep us jonz'n
Old December 27, 2004, 02:49   #424
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 15:40
Is the article in pc gamer already 'public' ?
Old December 27, 2004, 02:52   #425
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Yes, it's the "January" edition (meaning it's released a few weeks before January ).
Old December 27, 2004, 16:46   #426
JonahFalcon
Prince

Local Time: 13:40
Salient notes from the PC Gamer preview:

a) Being made directly by Sid Meier
b) Being made from scratch, from the ground up
c) Lush 3D zoomable graphics
d) XML data files will allow complete modding on all levels, including AI
e) Flexible tech trees allow different paths to later, more advanced techs - no more single paths
f) Advanced multiplayer -- ranging from quick games to advanced games that can last for months.
Old December 28, 2004, 13:04   #427
Vince278
King

If that all pans out then I'll need a cigarette after I'm done playing.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old December 29, 2004, 18:36   #428
Patroklos
Emperor

You probobly would have researched "Cure for Cancer" by then.
Old December 30, 2004, 04:59   #429
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Patroklos
You probobly would have researched "Cure for Cancer" by then.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
Old December 30, 2004, 06:35   #430
Addled Platypus
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMCall to Power PBEMCivilization IV PBEMBtS Tri-League
Emperor

would'nt that be a neat thing to plant as a spy

selling cigs to kids, money goes to your treasury..
Old December 31, 2004, 22:19   #431
Vince278
King

That idea sounds too much like state-sponsered drug trafficking.
Old January 3, 2005, 09:22   #432
Max Sinister
Warlord

Not that this doesn't exist in reality (Iran-Contra, Ollie North...)
Old January 5, 2005, 01:28   #433
Toby Rowe
Warlord

Hi all,
Thoughts whilst playing on Monarch level:

1)
If the game is tile based in Civ 4, can we please all have the "select all units" (for movement) again please. (like Civ 2)
2)
Can we have a decent AI Diplomacy for SP please? Even a button gently warning the AI that "You will soon ceast to exist if you don't sign this treaty now" would be good.....I've currently been listening about my "unprovoked attack on Russia" for roughly 1,000 years now each time I try a mutual defence pact, in fact Russia declared war on me.

If we do have 3D graphics, then meaningful AI diplomacy will be critical as you simply can't see all borders in the way the AI, governors or 40,000 garrisoned soldiers can!

3)
Pre-set combat results:
Please use the att/Def of a unit. I dislike knowing that each time my Cavalry army attacks a conscript Infantry unit it will die, If the AI has deemed it so- I can re-load a million times, but I will always have the same result, simply as the AI has tagged the defender unit to win the next battle, my only option is to sacrifice a weak unit on that attack, and then see what the AI has tagged (win/lose) for that defending unit on the next round.- Just try it yourself if you don't believe me. (You can get around it by attacking another unit instead- I'm trying to work out how the tagging by the AI occurrs- anyone looked at the code?)

4)
Absolutely no more AI cheating- amazing how if I put a single worker just in range of an enemy city, if an Cavalry can reach it, one troop will go out and commit suicide by capturing it- utterly bonkers- but how did they know it was there in the first place? I've heard of the Charge of the Light Brigade, but this is even more silly, as they'll repeat the same disaster, time after time, if they have a single Cavalry unit and a Railway system.

5)

Submarines; Player Sub's are viewed as surface ships by the AI (cheating) thus the player must watch his fleets be destroyed by the AI until the AEGIS is invented, as we can't see his submarines.
In CivII destroyers correctly "saw" submarines using ASDIC/SONAR. Lazy programming or perhaps they thought it funny I dunno!

6) On a personal level,

I'd like no AI cheats at all, unrealistic I know, especially as many programmers are producing games for humans to play against each other on the net, thus allowing them to not have to deal with such complex issues as a decent AI!!

Sid Meiyer has provided me with all my favourite games- hopefully he'll put Civ3 to shame in 4 if the chap really is finally looking back to his original masterpiece.

Toby
Old January 5, 2005, 06:50   #434
Vince278
King

I just read PCGamer and I am not really all that impressed with the screenshots. It looks a little more difficult to see whats going on. What does everyone else think?
Old January 5, 2005, 11:43   #435
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Those screens are 1) alpha and 2) old now.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old January 5, 2005, 22:45   #436
Joseph
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Toby Rowe
Hi all,
Thoughts whilst playing on Monarch level:

1)
If the game is tile based in Civ 4, can we please all have the "select all units" (for movement) again please. (like Civ 2)
2)
Can we have a decent AI Diplomacy for SP please? Even a button gently warning the AI that "You will soon ceast to exist if you don't sign this treaty now" would be good.....I've currently been listening about my "unprovoked attack on Russia" for roughly 1,000 years now each time I try a mutual defence pact, in fact Russia declared war on me.

If we do have 3D graphics, then meaningful AI diplomacy will be critical as you simply can't see all borders in the way the AI, governors or 40,000 garrisoned soldiers can!

3)
Pre-set combat results:
Please use the att/Def of a unit. I dislike knowing that each time my Cavalry army attacks a conscript Infantry unit it will die, If the AI has deemed it so- I can re-load a million times, but I will always have the same result, simply as the AI has tagged the defender unit to win the next battle, my only option is to sacrifice a weak unit on that attack, and then see what the AI has tagged (win/lose) for that defending unit on the next round.- Just try it yourself if you don't believe me. (You can get around it by attacking another unit instead- I'm trying to work out how the tagging by the AI occurrs- anyone looked at the code?)

4)
Absolutely no more AI cheating- amazing how if I put a single worker just in range of an enemy city, if an Cavalry can reach it, one troop will go out and commit suicide by capturing it- utterly bonkers- but how did they know it was there in the first place? I've heard of the Charge of the Light Brigade, but this is even more silly, as they'll repeat the same disaster, time after time, if they have a single Cavalry unit and a Railway system.

5)

Submarines; Player Sub's are viewed as surface ships by the AI (cheating) thus the player must watch his fleets be destroyed by the AI until the AEGIS is invented, as we can't see his submarines.
In CivII destroyers correctly "saw" submarines using ASDIC/SONAR. Lazy programming or perhaps they thought it funny I dunno!

6) On a personal level,

I'd like no AI cheats at all, unrealistic I know, especially as many programmers are producing games for humans to play against each other on the net, thus allowing them to not have to deal with such complex issues as a decent AI!!

Sid Meiyer has provided me with all my favourite games- hopefully he'll put Civ3 to shame in 4 if the chap really is finally looking back to his original masterpiece.

Toby
Toby, they said the AI will not cheat this time (Civ 4)
Joseph
PS. Transport Giant is not so bad.
Old January 5, 2005, 22:53   #437
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Where did they say that?
Old January 6, 2005, 21:42   #438
Joseph
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Where did they say that?
In Jan issue of ? computer mag.
Old January 6, 2005, 23:42   #439
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 23:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Toby Rowe
3)
Pre-set combat results:

have you tried turning off "preserve random seed" if not then no matter how manytimes ou restart the odds reamin hte same , the "dice" roll the same, if the random seed is not preserved then a restart will bring a chance of different results.
Old January 7, 2005, 16:14   #440
StarBegotten
Settler

I read in this months PCZone (its a UK mag) that Take2 are publishing Civ 4, is there any confirmation of this? Has it been posted elsewhere and I have just missed it?
Old January 7, 2005, 17:36   #441
Jon Shafer

No public confirmation on that, no...
Old January 10, 2005, 20:27   #442
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Toby, they said the AI will not cheat this time (Civ 4)
Joseph
Hmm, that would be a surprise. I'd rather they come clean and tell us the AI IS cheating than try and hide it from us.
Old January 11, 2005, 22:38   #443
Toby Rowe
Warlord

Well...said...Joseph...myspacebar..hasfailed....ho nestly...this..is..annoying...for..me,but...Civ... resorting..to.really..lazy..programming..bythecomp any..enough..just..thatthey..owned...the..name..an gered...me...a..lot..and...they...were...alowed... to...use...it,...and...abuse..it.

Toby
Old January 11, 2005, 23:28   #444
Jon Shafer

You think having the AI cheat is lazy programming? The AI cheated in every game depending on what difficulty level you're playing on - which means what you said only makes sense if you think the entire game series has abused the WORD "Civilization."
Old January 12, 2005, 01:01   #445
Toby Rowe
Warlord

Hi..Trip.

I think there is a slight difference between the Civ cheat
of "the Egyptians have nearly completed wonder...X" which was utterly random, but they always got the Pyramids, at least it was blantant cheating, using the 4mb of memory Sid Meiyer had to create such a complex, yet simple game.

Given the memory available to the programmers in the second sequel (Civ 3), they decided to cheat instead of programming in an credible AI- and were cheeky enough to programme in different levels of cheating for different levels of difficulty, yet blatent enough for all Civ players to see, on all levels.

After the ****-up of Alpha Centuri, I'm a trite nervous that greedy CO's at FireAxis will also ****-up Civ 4, as, if they muck this one up; Civ is finished, and we'll be left with Civ 2 only, and a once illustrious game AND name will be reduced to a laughing stock.

Toby

Last edited by Toby Rowe; January 24, 2005 at 22:09.
Old January 12, 2005, 02:26   #446
Toby Rowe
Warlord

Sorry,...the...spacebar...is..broken..on..my...key board.

Toby
Old January 12, 2005, 11:35   #447
Jon Shafer

If you play on lower difficulty levels then the AI only cheats in a couple things, like knowing where your units are. This is done to shore the AI up a bit. If you play games on giga maps in the industrial age when turns take 30+ minutes for the AI to do its business, you'll see why some of that was done. It's only on higher difficulty levels is the AI cheating bad, and that's to provide a challenge for the player and accepted.
Old January 12, 2005, 12:11   #448
Max Sinister
Warlord

Try to fix your space bars, then. Having to scroll to read your posts is a pain in the butt, thank you.
Old January 14, 2005, 18:12   #449
SSBLoveU
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
If you play on lower difficulty levels then the AI only cheats in a couple things, like knowing where your units are. This is done to shore the AI up a bit. If you play games on giga maps in the industrial age when turns take 30+ minutes for the AI to do its business, you'll see why some of that was done. It's only on higher difficulty levels is the AI cheating bad, and that's to provide a challenge for the player and accepted.
Cheating “really” makes game play at the higher levels sickening. I had a chess program which cheated every time a checkmate happened. It was funny for a while. However, Chessmaster is a product of excellent programming. There are many levels to play, and there is no need to cheat. Cheating in Civilization III is lazy programming, and it takes away the fun of a challenging game.
Old January 14, 2005, 18:45   #450
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 07:40
Have to agree on the cheating. It's not more of a challenge, it's more of a headache. One of the main reasons I don't go much higher than warlord either.

Nice to see MP out-of-the-box this time. Let's hope they actually do their own MP code so that CivIV doesn't get screwed like CivIII did on the Mac...

Talk about lazy programming! At least have a cross-platform PBEM feature!

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Closed Thread