Old December 5, 2003, 01:57   #1
geniemalin
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
SMAC/PS:T musings
I don't know if anyone else here has played Planescape: Torment, but when thinking about what made SMAC such a satisfying experience, a few parallels sprang to mind.

In each, the game was a 'non-standard' version of a well-accepted genre (CRPG/4X respectively.) In each, new and interesting game mechanics were tied into the unique setting and 'worked' for that setting, whether they would have worked for a generic game or not. in each, the evolving story was as much part of the reason to keep playing as the challenges of the game itself. And in both cases while critically acclaimed they never made as much impression as their more vanilla counterparts (the Baldur's Gate/IWD series and the CIV series) respectively and weren't followed up (I'm trying desperately to forget SMACX was ever made )

Anyhow, just a random observation subject to comment if anyone else out there knows them both?
Old December 5, 2003, 04:44   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Isn't PS:T a subscription game? Bleh.

And what's wrong with SMAX!?
Old December 5, 2003, 06:03   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

No its not Tass. Its an IE game, and very special. Like SMAC its also pretty hard to get hold of, it didn't sell to the mainstream, and it has a hardcore of fans who are always shouting for a sequel that may never come

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old December 5, 2003, 09:49   #4
Minute Mirage
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 15:41
Interesting comparison between the two games, and I agree that there's a similarity. Both are definitely classics within their genre, and I'd say both games are in my top 10 or even 5.