Old December 6, 2003, 15:04   #31
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

Local Time: 08:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Just to jump in here - I'm still not terribly impressed with paratroopers, but the helicopter is a significant asset now. They don't drop one ToW infantry on an inconvenient square- they drop THREE. 3 units with 14 defense on your mountain/hill source of X-resource? Sign me up! Heck, you could stage an out-and-out invasion from an unexpected angle with 3 or 4 helicopters and these things.

Too bad air superiority doesn't shoot them down; I've had lots of fun with them in Future start MP scenarios.
Fried-Psitalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2003, 17:19   #32
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
Too bad air superiority doesn't shoot them down; I've had lots of fun with them in Future start MP scenarios.
They do in PTW - did they change it in C3C? (at least jet fighters on AS would in PTW - have no idea about how flak / mobile SAMs would interact with helis)

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2003, 04:07   #33
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 06:42
I didn't even realize we had helicopters

I haven't played a game into the modern age.

I must say that paratroopers worked fairly well in the WW2 pacific scenario. yeah I still used med tanks and marines as my main attack force. But the paratroopers help in the late game when it was pointless to try to transport marines/tanks all the way accross the water- the scenario is only 50 turns and it takes several turns to get accross the water. Paratroopers come in hand there.
Old December 7, 2003, 20:11   #34
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 13:42
Re: Re: What do the oldtimers think of these aspects?
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob_S

No change there. But I consider tedium now a justifiable reason to go to war, and hang the expense
Ahhh... did you play an epic game?

Entering industrial age and finding out you have no rubber, or worse oil, is now quite common. New resource allocation.

So no, Tedium has been pushed back, especially in higher difficulty levels where it is impossible for the player to conquer their starting landmass in the early game.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2003, 11:12   #35
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 07:42
Solver,

C3C has some neat new features (as discussed previously), probably the most noticeable is the resource scarcity. But it remains Civ 3 at its core.

Of course, I bought it. Heck, I didn't even read the forum until AFTER I'd played a few games--at which point I hit the forum to figure-out what was going on w/ this game. If you like Civ3, you'll like C3C. For me it was worth the price (but then again, I received it as a gift, but I would have bought it anyway.)