Old December 6, 2003, 04:10   #31
Vince278
King

Local Time: 13:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
The Achaeans had alot of problems removing Trojans. My main advice is to do whatever you can not to piss Apollo off, and cater to Achilles' every wish.
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth (or let it in through your city gates).
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old December 6, 2003, 04:10   #32
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 06:43
are you that small?
Old December 6, 2003, 04:21   #33
Vince278
King

Local Time: 13:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
are you that small?
No. I just stretch the hell out of them.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old December 6, 2003, 06:45   #34
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 15:43
Re: Trojan removal
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/defau...virus_k=100687

I have two seperate system files infected with this trojan according to McAfree's virus scan. Anyone have an idea of how to get rid of this virus?

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\tapicfg.exe

C:\Program Files\WINDOWS\MSINFO\info32.exe

Are the infected files.
When you want to get rid off a Virus there are a few steps to follow. Sometimes, the viruses can not be erased by your Anti-Virus software and you have to remove them yourself.

1 - Identify the executable file (you have already done it) and check the computer science forums you will find an efficient solution rather quickly (a web research with the full name of the executable always return good results)

2 - Open the task manager and end the processes involved (in your case you have to end the tapicfg.exe and info32.exe processes).

3 - Find and suppress the executables involved.

You now have to prevent the virus to load itself again when you boot or reboot your computer.

4 - Execute the msconfig command, check "Selective boot" (sorry I have a French version of XP and I have to translate), open the last pannel (it should be "Boot") and uncheck the tapicfg.exe and info32.exe boxes so that they will not be runned again when the computer boots.

5 - Execute the regedit command and look for registry keys with "tapicfg.exe" and "info32.exe" and suppress them. If you are not sure about the registry keys to suppress you will often find the name and location of the keys in a forum (symantec is often providing the solution).

Be very careful when you edit your Registry Base, making some mistakes here can have dramatic effects, back up the original data base so that you can revert back to the original one.

The Grisoft link will lead you to AVG free antivirus, I have used it for a while and it is a rather serious one with regular updates. You should also install a firewall, I am currently using Outpost which is rather easy to configure.

Old December 6, 2003, 07:33   #35
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:43
Whoo, a serious response
Old December 6, 2003, 07:34   #36
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 09:43
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Grab it near the base of the shaft. Hold tight to prevent leakage. Slide it off.
goddamnitg that maws my joke you sob.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old December 6, 2003, 08:19   #37
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 06:43
Quote:
Whoo, a serious response
And now for something completely different...

Quote:
i just downloaded some of the antivirus software. . .

it found no less than 14 viruses on my computer. lol.
Quote:
5 for mine.
Ya' know, you wouldn't have this problem if you didn't treat your computer like a dirty, dirty whore. This is what you get for downloading pictures of other people's naughty bits off the Internet. A little cyber-chastity goes a long way...

Go out and buy an antivirus program, you cheap-ass bastards! It's nasty skanks like you who don't practice "Safe Surf" that allow viruses to spread largely unimpeded across the net.

Kidding aside, you really ought to have an actual antivirus program installed (Norton AV, McCaffe et al.) instead of one of these "free" software titles. You get more options and control with a paid title. Think of it as innoculations for your computer. The more computers receiving regular and uniform vacinations from the major vendors against known viruses (they share info regarding threats), the fewer places those viruses can go and less damage and inconvenience done.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old December 6, 2003, 08:32   #38
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 09:43
Here's some general guidelines to avoid the majority of viruses, hostile aps, etc. out there. Don't use MS Outlook, a large number if not the majority exploit secuity holes in it. I use Netscape 4.7 for email myself. Not that's it's extra secure, just nobody writes for it anymore.

Don't use Internet Explorer, they are many excellet alternatives. If you do use IE, keep the patches downloaded. Set your security yourself, and disable or require permission for many of the java and Active X controls settings. Turn them on only when you are at a site that you trust, that requires them. Remember to reset them when you leave the site.

Download ZoneAlarm, an excellent if a little bit picky firewall, even if you have dial up. It prevents hackers from getting into your system by exploiting weaknesses in Windows.

If you use MS Office, keep macros turned off unless you need them for a specific file, and then turn them back off. I use Corel Office 8, and have been very happy with it. As an addendum, again, if avoidable, do not install the Visual Basic Engine on your computer. If you do, keep it patched also.

If you are going to use Microsoft products, use the Windows Update feature routinely. The one good thing is that it will update all the patches for MS Office, Windows, Visual Basic, and Outlook at the same time. Keep a subscription to a newsletter that tells you about fast breaking security risks, so you can download the patch before it's too late.

If you are a real Geek, use Linux. If your a real Geek, you can right a better analysis than this in your sleep, and you're not reading this. So learn Linux and use it (there are some exploits in Linux, but very few). Don't do this if you are married, unless he/she is a Geek to .
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.