Old December 7, 2003, 04:04   #61
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 08:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
But I have other reasons why I detest Raegan so much.
Old December 7, 2003, 04:10   #62
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 09:43
Quote:
now that is FLAT OUT unconstitutional
Actually no, because the SCOTUS has said it is not. Even though today people consider it a bad thing, Korematsu has never been overruled. Remember, the Constitution does allow for the suspension of haebus corpus during wartime.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 7, 2003, 05:21   #63
Mr. Harley
Prince

I'll have to check the case law, and I only have my links on my home computer. I know that the cases resulting from the Civil War under the Lincoln adminstration specifically found, after the fact, that suspension of habeus corpus in non-war zones with functioning civil government, like Ohio in one of the specific cases, was unconstitutional. You could argue interning the civilians in Hawaii was constitutional. Not Japanese Americans born in, and living in, the continental US. It may have been constitutional in the sense that the constitution is whatever the Surpreme Court says it is, look at the cases coming out of the Southern leaning Court just prior to the Civil War. I will argue that what was done to the Japanese Americans was not constitutional, but that the government got away with.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old December 7, 2003, 05:41   #64
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I'm just wondering what Mr. Fun will do if Reagan gets on the twenty...
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old December 7, 2003, 10:15   #65
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Anybody trying to cop a dime?
Old December 7, 2003, 14:00   #66
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 07:43
Quote:
Roosevelt
(Known for defeating the forces of hell itself)
Oh yeah, that's right too. I never saw Reagan defeating any forces of hell.
Old December 7, 2003, 15:11   #67
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 15:43
Who cares...money (that is paper and coins) will be dead in half a century anyway. If they really want to make a lasting impression, they should issue a bill puting his ugly face on all visa cards instead.

Asmodean
Old December 7, 2003, 15:56   #68
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
I'm just wondering what Mr. Fun will do if Reagan gets on the twenty...

I'm angry -- not crazy.
Old December 7, 2003, 16:03   #69
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Actually Andrew Jackson should be best known for adovocating universal white male sufferage (taking away property requirements) and being known as the man of the common people (I'm sure you've hear the stories of dirty commoners staining the White House during Jackson's inaugeration), and, of course, his amazing victory in the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812.

Quote:
His abuses of human rights by far eclipse those of any president before or after him.

The Trail of Tears was worse than slavery?
I believe there were slaves during his presidency as well, so I don't know why you brought that up. There was no president who made slavery national policy, so there's nobody more guilty or less guilty than Jackson among the first 15 presidents in that regard.

His victory in the Battle of New Orleans was after peace had been signed.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old December 7, 2003, 16:05   #70
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Or worse than propping up anti-communist dictatorships in third world countries during the Cold War??
The people in the third world countries had the choice between communist dictatorships and anti-communist dictatorships. They were screwed over no matter what we did. The Cherokee didn't have to be screwed over.

Old December 7, 2003, 17:53   #71
MrFun
Emperor

Um -- God forbid if third world country people could have a choice for an anti-communist democracy!!

horrors of all horrors!!
Old December 7, 2003, 18:03   #72
The diplomat
King

It is a no brainer, folks. Reagan should be on the dime!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old December 7, 2003, 18:08   #73
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
I believe there were slaves during his presidency as well, so I don't know why you brought that up. There was no president who made slavery national policy, so there's nobody more guilty or less guilty than Jackson among the first 15 presidents in that regard.
I'm 99% sure there was no slavery during his presidency (unless he stopped it). The amendment banning slavery (in all of the states) was either made during his presidency or Lincoln's.
Old December 7, 2003, 18:12   #74
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Quote:
I'm 99% sure there was no slavery during his presidency
His presidency was 1829-1837. Would you like to revise that statement?

Old December 7, 2003, 18:13   #75
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat

Ok, now that the comic relief is over...

Jackson is a crucial figure in US history, and so are Franklyn and Hamilton, the only two non-presidents on money. Everyone on money deserves to be there, with the exception of Kennedy..he had a pretty wife and got himself killed (fine, he idd more bu no more than say Eisenhower or Truman): not enough to get on money. You can question Grant's precidency, but then there is his role as Union commander...

There is no reason for any pres. after FDR getting on money, cause none have done much to compare. I wonder when republicans decided to create a cult of personality? How Stalinist of them....

Next up: Reagans unfinished Opera..the greatest piece of fiction EVER!!!!! You must submitt!
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old December 7, 2003, 18:13   #76
Kuciwalker
Deity

Never mind then.

Wasn't there a Jackson that came after Lincoln?
Old December 7, 2003, 18:15   #77
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
It's a good tactic to ensure your guy is remembered, despite his failings as a president.
Exactly. It certainly worked for FDR.
You mean it wasn't being president for 12 years during the Great Depression and WW2 and his great speeches about fear and December 7 and fireside chats, and the creation of....... that make him memorable?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old December 7, 2003, 18:16   #78
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Um -- God forbid if third world country people could have a choice for an anti-communist democracy!!

horrors of all horrors!!
Believe me, if we could just go into any old country and easily set up a functioning capitalist democracy, we would have done that a lot during the Cold War.

Old December 7, 2003, 18:18   #79
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Never mind then.

Wasn't there a Jackson that came after Lincoln?
You're thinking of Andrew Johnson, who came directly after Lincoln. It's OK, I used to confuse them too.

Old December 7, 2003, 18:40   #80
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
I'm 99% sure there was no slavery during his presidency (unless he stopped it). The amendment banning slavery (in all of the states) was either made during his presidency or Lincoln's.
There was slavery during the Jackson presidency, seeing as it was 25 years before the Civil War.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 7, 2003, 18:43   #81
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
His victory in the Battle of New Orleans was after peace had been signed.
So? They didn't know of the peace yet.
Quote:
Only if Clinton is on the dollar
Quote:
Andrew JACKSON, not Andrew JOHNSON. Andrew JACKSON was 1829-1837. Andrew JOHNSON succeeded Lincoln after his assassination, and was from 1865-1868 IIRC.

I'm pretty sure the amdmts banning slavery were passed during JOHNSON's Presidency (maybe it was the guy after him. I dunno), but it surely wasn't JACKSON (who came 30 years before Lincoln, remember).

Normally Jaguar I'd laugh at him too, but it's a legitimate mistake (sort of).
Old December 7, 2003, 19:39   #82
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat
"No brainer" seems an accurate description of that statement, though not in the way you intended, mon ami.
Old December 7, 2003, 20:05   #83
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer

"No brainer" seems an accurate description of that statement, though not in the way you intended, mon ami.
Reagan is one of the great American Presidents of the modern era. It would be very fitting to put him on the dime. Especially considering his health, it would be a very touching homage to his accomplishments.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old December 7, 2003, 20:19   #84
mrmitchell
King

Quote:
Especially considering his health,
So you're admitting he's already dead?
Old December 7, 2003, 20:28   #85
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
You mean it wasn't being president for 12 years during the Great Depression and WW2 and his great speeches about fear and December 7 and fireside chats, and the creation of....... that make him memorable?
Reagan was president for 8 years in what turned out to be the last gasp of the Cold War, was a great orator himself, and created........ so I can see why people consider him just as memorable as FDR.

At any rate, your original post was about the failings of Reagan, not his successes. I was just pointing out that FDR had his fair share of failings as well.
Old December 7, 2003, 20:31   #86
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
There was slavery during the Jackson presidency, seeing as it was 25 years before the Civil War.
Jaguar Warrior already corrected me on this. I mixed up Jackson and Johnson (btw, thanks JW).
Old December 7, 2003, 20:49   #87
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 05:43
Reagan was not a great president. He is only thought of as being great right now because he is the most recent Republican president that Republicans will claim. He didn't see the US through any crisis and he didn't build a railroad or put us on the moon. He was just mediocre and in 50 years no one will remember him.

These people are seriously morons.
Old December 7, 2003, 21:01   #88
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
He didn't see the US through any crisis

Kidicious, you are a MASTER of self-delusion, even che will admit.
Old December 7, 2003, 21:07   #89
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 05:43
Quote:
Quote:
He didn't see the US through any crisis

Kidicious, you are a MASTER of self-delusion, even che will admit.
Good argument as always skywalker.
Old December 7, 2003, 21:11   #90
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kidicious

Good argument as always skywalker.
He's right, you know.