Old December 7, 2003, 21:15   #91
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 08:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat

Reagan is one of the great American Presidents of the modern era.
Old December 7, 2003, 21:17   #92
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Well, he doesn't have that much competition; he's one of the best in my books, but I don't know anything.
Old December 7, 2003, 22:07   #93
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 07:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Kidicious
Reagan was not a great president. He is only thought of as being great right now because he is the most recent Republican president that Republicans will claim. He didn't see the US through any crisis and he didn't build a railroad or put us on the moon. He was just mediocre and in 50 years no one will remember him.
Please tell me you are joking or then trolling or something. You can't be serious.

Reagan helped end the Cold War, helped create a strong economy with tax cuts, and renewed America's self-confidence and respect in the world. He was far from mediocre.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old December 7, 2003, 22:13   #94
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 09:43
MrFun, I laugh at your laughter with the same number of smileys as you, hence negating it.

However, I add one more, so I win.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old December 7, 2003, 23:36   #95
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 05:43
Quote:

Please tell me you are joking or then trolling or something. You can't be serious.

Reagan helped end the Cold War, helped create a strong economy with tax cuts, and renewed America's self-confidence and respect in the world. He was far from mediocre.
Some of those things are subjective, but even it you are right, those things don't seperate him from other mediocre presidents.

Sorry, but cutting taxes does not make you a great president, only popular with your own party. In fact, just about every Republican president cuts taxes. Even Democrats do it occasionally. It's nothing to get remembered by. As far as respect in the world, I think that is only an American perspective.
Old December 7, 2003, 23:39   #96
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 13:43
Reagan collapse the Soviet Union. He killed Gorbachev with his bare hands
Old December 7, 2003, 23:44   #97
MrFun
Emperor

Reagan licked the shoes of the upper-classes,

refused to seriously consider the information the Center for Disease Control had compiled on the emergence of HIV/AIDS,

he strenghtened dictatorships in some Latin American countries
Old December 8, 2003, 00:35   #98
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

I don't give a rat's ass if Reagan cut taxes.

I do, however, if he did it without sending the budget to the pits of Hell as Bush has done.
Old December 8, 2003, 01:08   #99
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Reagan is one of the great American Presidents of the modern era.

Quote:
I believe there were slaves during his presidency as well, so I don't know why you brought that up. There was no president who made slavery national policy, so there's nobody more guilty or less guilty than Jackson among the first 15 presidents in that regard.
At least in the case of Washington and Jefferson they HAD slaves. That's why I brought it up.

Quote:
His victory in the Battle of New Orleans was after peace had been signed.
Because back in 1814, we have instantaneous communication like we do today?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 8, 2003, 02:06   #100
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
refused to seriously consider the information the Center for Disease Control had compiled on the emergence of HIV/AIDS

I thought the Cancer Development Center compiled that information?
Old December 8, 2003, 03:14   #101
Mr. Harley
Prince

Excuse me, a common myth of the type if it's repeated enough, most people believe it. Reagan did not cause the fall of the Soviet Union. Gorbachev did, and should go down as a great man for it. The military offered to shoot the protestors, and he decided not to coat red square in the blood of the people. You can't take the lid off the authoritarian government just a little. The leadership in Communist China understands that, which is why Tiananmen square happened, and the party is still in charge.

Let's see, Reagan gave us the second biggest budget deficit in US history, with the gleeful help of a Democratic House and most of the time a Democratic Senate, if memory serves me correctly. Plus he helped put the Republican party in bed with the religious right. I may dislike FDR, but I really disliked Reagan.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old December 8, 2003, 08:15   #102
Q Classic
Emperor

i wish that conservatives would realize that reagan was not the messiah.

oh, damn, i posted this in the wrong thread.
Old December 8, 2003, 09:29   #103
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
refused to seriously consider the information the Center for Disease Control had compiled on the emergence of HIV/AIDS

I thought the Cancer Development Center compiled that information?

VERY funny -- ha, ha, ha.

Geez, a guy makes one dumb mistake and then you never let him forget about it.
Old December 8, 2003, 09:50   #104
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by shawnmmcc
Excuse me, a common myth of the type if it's repeated enough, most people believe it. Reagan did not cause the fall of the Soviet Union. Gorbachev did, and should go down as a great man for it.
Except that if Gorby caused the end of communism, then it was an accident. He never intended for it to happen. He thought that Perestroika and Glasnost would save communism.

You can't give the man credit for doing something that he never wanted to happen in the first place.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
Old December 8, 2003, 10:07   #105
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Reagan's face can be on the dime if, and only if, the words, "In God We Trust" are replaced with "NOT LEGAL TENDER IN NICARAGUA." Otherwise, no deal.

And I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was or is illegal to have a living person on stamps in the U.S., because postmasters kept designing stamps with their own portraits. This seems like much the same thing.

And my good friend Frankenstein should change his name to FrankenReagan. Blah!
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old December 8, 2003, 10:29   #106
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Every president has had positive and negative aspects to their tenure. Despite my personal appreciation of Reagan's accomplishments and my disagreement with FDR's policies, I dont agree with replacing FDR on the dime.

They'll just have to carve another face on Mt. Rushmore.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old December 8, 2003, 10:34   #107
The Templar
Prince

Quote:

Actually, Reagan instituted a net tax increase. Reagan reduced capital gains taxes and made small cuts on income tax. This was offset by massive increases in the SS/FICA payroll tax and an increase on fees. Since it is the poor and middle class who are hit the hardest by SS/FICA and it was fees for lower and middle class services that he increased. This means that most people got a tax hike under Reagan. Rob from the poor, to give to the rich.

So unless you have investment income sufficient to take advantage of those capital gains cut and make income sufficiently over the cutoff for SS/FICA, the diplomat, you're crowing over a tax increase!

As for ending the cold war, the Soviets were on the skids by the 70s, and their Afghan adventure accelerated the process. Reagan just happened to be sitting in the right place at the right time. Besides, I'm sure by his later years in office he didn't even remember what the cold war was.
Old December 8, 2003, 10:51   #108
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I'm just pickin'.
Old December 8, 2003, 11:37   #109
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Excuse me, a common myth of the type if it's repeated enough, most people believe it. Reagan did not cause the fall of the Soviet Union. Gorbachev did, and should go down as a great man for it.
Gorby should go down in history as a great man for being a failure?

And yes, Reagan did help kick down the USSR. He put a great amount of pressure on the Soviets and his speeches against Communism, especially the one at Moscow University, inspired many Eastern Europeans. Basically, Reagan won the PR war, which was instrumental in helping to end the Cold War.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old December 8, 2003, 11:50   #110
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 16:43
Quote:

Old December 8, 2003, 12:54   #111
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
I'm just pickin'.
yeah, figured

Old December 8, 2003, 12:55   #112
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:

And yes, Reagan did help kick down the USSR. He put a great amount of pressure on the Soviets and his speeches against Communism, especially the one at Moscow University, inspired many Eastern Europeans. Basically, Reagan won the PR war, which was instrumental in helping to end the Cold War.
Oh wow -- a political leader made SPEECHES.

Old December 8, 2003, 13:04   #113
The diplomat
King

Reagan was not Carter. That alone was a huge accomplishment. :
Old December 8, 2003, 13:47   #114
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Yes, to a neanderthal like you, the spoken word may not have much of an effect .
Old December 8, 2003, 13:55   #115
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, to a neanderthal like you, the spoken word may not have much of an effect .
Shows how much you know -- I'm a Homo Sapiens Sapiens.

Old December 8, 2003, 14:00   #116
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 05:43
Quote:
the spoken word may not have much of an effect .
Sensational nonsense only has an effect on some people.
Old December 8, 2003, 14:19   #117
MrFun
Emperor

YEAH!!

Just because I don't goosestep behind leaders who follow scripts written for them, by others, doesn't make me a neanderthal.
Old December 8, 2003, 16:41   #118
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Nice to know you don't get inspired by speeches... like by certain Democratic primary candidates .
Old December 8, 2003, 17:44   #119
MrFun
Emperor

OH -- well . . . . .

if we're talking about speeches done by DEMOCRATIC political leaders, I suppose that's a different story.

Not that I'm biased or anything.

Actually, to be serious for a minute, I do sometimes think that the anti-Bush attacks by the Democratic candidates goes too far. Are they TRYING to make themselves look like raving madmen?
Old December 8, 2003, 17:55   #120
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

The diplomat, let's strike a deal.

Reagan can be on the dime.

But only if Clinton is on the quarter.