View Poll Results: Has your opinion of Iraq War changed?
Last year I supported the war, and I still do. 15 28.85%
Last year I supported the war, and now I don't. 3 5.77%
Last year I opposed the war, and I still do. 29 55.77%
Last year I opposed the war, and now I don't. 2 3.85%
I was neutral then, or neutral now. 2 3.85%
I like bananas then, and I still do. 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 6, 2003, 00:53   #1
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 09:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Has your opinion about Iraq War changed?
Its been a year now since the major lead up to the American invasion of Iraq. Since much has happened in the last year, and since there is very strong feelings on both sides of this issue I'm just curious how, if at all, people's opinions of the war have changed in the last year.

If you were for the war last year, what do you think now that no WMD were found, a guerrilla campaign against coalition soldiers continues still, and neither Saddam or Osama have been caught/killed?

If you were against the war last year, what do you think now that there have been no new, big terrorist attacks in America/Europe, there weren't massive causualities of civilians or soldiers during the war, and the United States hasn't greedily harvested Iraqi oil ignoring all other problems of the nation?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old December 6, 2003, 01:05   #2
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

If you changed your opinion, what influenced the change?

If you didn't change your opinion, did the last year happen like you expected? If not, why hasn't this changed your opinion of the war?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old December 6, 2003, 01:08   #3
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 15:44
Sorry I'm too busy laughing my ass off with your avatar
Old December 6, 2003, 01:16   #4
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Hehe, thanks.

"Sharon! Lost my **unintelligible mumbling** ..Santa hat... **unintelligible mumbling** those **cking dogs crapping **unintelligible mumbling** Prince of Darkness **unintelligible mumbling** candy canes **unintelligible mumbling** Sharon!"

Old December 6, 2003, 01:29   #5
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

Local Time: 07:44
My opinion is the same as it was then. I believe that, fundamentally, it was necessary to remove the Hussein regime. I am, however, vehemently opposed to the handling of the whole affair, from the initial diplomatic gaffs to present.
Old December 6, 2003, 03:33   #6
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 06:44
I used to support the war, and I used to support Bush. But you commies and lefties showed me the error of my ways. I hate Bush now.
Old December 6, 2003, 03:37   #7
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 08:44
The Bush administration did the right thing for the wrong reasons -- that was initially, and still is, my opinion.
Old December 6, 2003, 03:41   #8
MrFun
Emperor

I guess we finally found evidence of Iraq's WMDs . . . .
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	iraq.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	58971  
Old December 6, 2003, 03:55   #9
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:44
I approved of getting rid of Hussein then, I approve of it now. I think the US could have done it better, but then again I think the French, Russians, and others could have done it better, too.
Old December 6, 2003, 03:55   #10
Ned
King

Local Time: 05:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I used to support the war, and I used to support Bush. But you commies and lefties showed me the error of my ways. I hate Bush now.
Dissident, I had no idea that you were weak minded.
Old December 6, 2003, 03:56   #11
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I wasn't being serious about the commies. If I was, I wouldn't use the word commie.

But I did reverse my position, but it was based on real world events, not words posted here.
Old December 6, 2003, 04:00   #12
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 13:44
Diss I love your avatar

Anyway, I didn't and don't.
Old December 6, 2003, 04:01   #13
Japher
Emperor

My position has changed. I am still for the war, I just think we need to be a lot more aggressive and stop ignoring Afgan...
Old December 6, 2003, 04:14   #14
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

my avatar has nothing to do with the Iraq war though.

I'm still pissed at what they did in the war of 1812. I hold grudges for a very long time.
Old December 6, 2003, 05:17   #15
Theben
Deity

I'm of the opinion that Saddam should've been removed from power a long time ago, (like the 80's) and now we have to stay until we 'win' or else we'll give the green light to every dipshit with a grudge (real or imaginary) against the U.S. to do whatever they want w/o fear of retaliation.
That said I think the current admin's tactics and diplomacy have been nothing short of a disaster. This poll doesn't allow me to show my true support level. Next years elections will, though.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old December 6, 2003, 05:29   #16
Ned
King

I'm going to post in a new thread the evidence uncovered by the Weekly Standard of extensive Saddam-al Qa'ida links and cooperation. Apparently much of this information was known prior to the war but not disclosed by the Admin. Much of the new information remains classified, but the question is why? I can only speculate that it has something to do with ongoing investigations.
Old December 6, 2003, 05:38   #17
Proteus_MST
King

No change.

I opposed the war at the Beginning of the year and I still do.
Old December 6, 2003, 05:45   #18
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I believe Saddam was good for the power structure in the middle east (yeah I know the kids in prison were bad, and all the rapes and killings). But now there is a power vacuum in the center of the middle east- well you can see how things are working out now.

But I really feel the U.S. policy towards the middle east for the past 55 years has beein wrong. They clearly do not want our presence there. We should not be interfering with their internal affairs.

Remove Saddam in the 80's? come on! Like we would have known then what we knew now. And even with that, the Muslim population does not appreciate the americans getting involved in their affairs.

It's none of our business. We should remove all U.S. forces from the middle east.

Oh I get it- they may halt the oil shipments again.

So in reality all this is about oil.

well in that case we better get used to have americans killed by terrorism to get our hands on that precious oil.
Old December 6, 2003, 05:53   #19
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Remove Saddam in the 80's? come on! Like we would have known then what we knew now.
We knew then what kind of bastard he is/was. The reason we couldn't was that the Soviet Union was still arond.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old December 6, 2003, 06:17   #20
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

I have never been opposed to a war in Irak but I think it should have been decided by the UN and under the management of this organization. Unfortunately the international situation is such, along with Bush's stifness, that it would have been difficult to reach an agreement.

As far as I am concerned, the Rais should have been removed after the first Iraki war.

We can talk a long time about Irak and the terrorists hidden in this country but once again the main threat is not addressed. IMO the main battle against terrorism, at least the fundamentalist one, should be fought in Palestine. The biggest blow to terrorism would be to solve the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and, at last, build a lasting peace in the middle east.

By the way, to all the Americans around here. I have never been anti-American and I hope I will never be but I must admit I am a bit disconcerted by the anti-French comments I am reading here and then in many forums. Fortunately, Apolyton is rather safe on this matter as the subject of our common interest (civ like games) involves a more mature audience.
Old December 6, 2003, 06:31   #21
Ned
King

Tamerlin, the goal of the radical Islamic fundies is to expel the West from all Islamic countries and to install Islamic republics. Clearly solving the Israel/Palestinian question will go a long way in reducing support for the fundies. But it will not totally solve the problem.
Old December 6, 2003, 06:35   #22
KrazyHorse
Deity

i think iyt was astupif idea then iand ais till do. saddam was a **** and it's a good thing that hes; gone but it thingk than it wasn't worth waht thae consequenjs wil be both short and long ter,m.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old December 6, 2003, 06:49   #23
Winston
Emperor

At this point, I predict short term consequences of a severe headache for KrazyHorse in the morning.

I supported the liberation of Iraq then, and I still do.

I wish more countries would join the coalition with personnel on the ground to help reconstruction efforts though.
Old December 6, 2003, 07:12   #24
KrazyHorse
Deity

no i drank pelebnty of water. no hangover for tghis kitty.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old December 6, 2003, 08:04   #25
Kropotkin
Emperor

I don't feel like my position is represented by the poll-options. I was very much a sceptic about the war (not sceptic about if there would be a war or not, but about the reasons for it). Now, I'm still not pro-Bush at all but I have to agree that it's not an option to back out right now. The US must find a way to make this look like something else than a victory for radical islamists and others with a distrorted world view.
Old December 6, 2003, 08:05   #26
Kropotkin
Emperor

(and yes, I think Bushs' world views are tilted too, but there's different degrees of it)
Old December 6, 2003, 09:10   #27
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

The war was stupid to begin with and i seriously dont give a **** if we pull out tomorrow and leave all the iraqis to defend for themselves.
Old December 6, 2003, 12:11   #28
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin
I don't feel like my position is represented by the poll-options. I was very much a sceptic about the war (not sceptic about if there would be a war or not, but about the reasons for it). Now, I'm still not pro-Bush at all but I have to agree that it's not an option to back out right now. The US must find a way to make this look like something else than a victory for radical islamists and others with a distrorted world view.
The poll isn't about your opinion of Bush, or even what you think our next step should be. Just about the war itself. In hindsight, do you think we should or shouldn't have invaded Iraq? Is this the same view you had leading up to the war?

As I assumed, despite all the crap that has happened over the last year few people have changed their mind. Only 5 in the above poll out of 34.

Old December 6, 2003, 12:21   #29
Jac de Molay
Prince

I thought it was dishonest and ill-concieved then, and I feel the same way now. Although I tend to feel even more lied to now
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old December 6, 2003, 12:29   #30
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

No, I was right then, and I am right now.