Old February 1, 2004, 21:35   #31
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 09:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Salah al-Din
Philadelphia = Fila del Fia

Philadelphia, along with a whole pile of cities, and towns in the US got their names from other, or older cities around the world, or were named after famous people.
Uh, "Philadelpia" was not named after "Fila del Fia"; "Philadelphia" is a greek word meaning "brotherly love".
Old February 1, 2004, 22:19   #32
MattPilot
Prince

Local Time: 13:45
to sidetrack in this ancient thread, what bothers me is that there is a german civ, but no austrian civ.

Funny, how the german federation got created by the austrian empire only about 200 years ago (or also called the habsburg empire). The habsburg dynasty however started almost a 1000 years ago (first mention of austria as an independent 'country' was in 1156 - 'germany' was first mentioned in 1814).

It is true that the forfathers of the central european people were called germanic, though that doesn't make them 'german' per say. Austrians were 'germanic' too (mostly, <- also had a great number of slavic people).

So why exactly was the german name favored, over the more accurate Habsburg term that has a great deal of more history?

Old February 1, 2004, 23:31   #33
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 22:45
The recorded usage of the term "German" was by the Roman mathematician/philosopher Posidonius in 90 BC. I think that slightly predates the Hapsburgs. Germania was in constant usage in the Roman empire from Julius Caesar onwards, including in Tacitus's book Germania in 98 AD.

jon.

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
Old February 1, 2004, 23:58   #34
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 08:45
Not to mention that Firaxis looked a lot at the current situation of civs as well. Not to diminish Austria, but Germany is a MUCH bigger country on the world scale (politically, economically...*ahem* militarily). Except for some exceptions, they mainly picked civs that most people would recognize (I mean, America has only been around for a few hundred years, but it wasn't till conquests that the Maya and Inca were included...and England is really just a weird mix of Angles and Saxons).
Old February 2, 2004, 00:03   #35
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MattPilot
to sidetrack in this ancient thread, what bothers me is that there is a german civ, but no austrian civ.

Funny, how the german federation got created by the austrian empire only about 200 years ago (or also called the habsburg empire). The habsburg dynasty however started almost a 1000 years ago (first mention of austria as an independent 'country' was in 1156 - 'germany' was first mentioned in 1814).

It is true that the forfathers of the central european people were called germanic, though that doesn't make them 'german' per say. Austrians were 'germanic' too (mostly, <- also had a great number of slavic people).

So why exactly was the german name favored, over the more accurate Habsburg term that has a great deal of more history?

Perhaps because Germany is an important country wrt the previous century, whereas Austria was largely irrelevent (despite its role in WWI)?
Old February 2, 2004, 00:55   #36
MattPilot
Prince

irrelevent? The only reason germany has more recognition is because they elected a madman who is known around the world.

If there were no habsburg empire, there would of never been a germany (of course, if there were no 'holy' roman empire, there would of never been a habsburg empire).

With the significant growth of the habsburg empire during Emporer Maximilius (sp?) period of the roman empire in 14-1500's, the habsburg empire decided to also 'split' its possesions (in 1814 during the vienna convention) to have more effective control over it.

Should a civ be in the game soley because they are well known because of a single war, or should a civ be in the game because of its evolution through time ?
Old February 2, 2004, 01:16   #37
Kuciwalker
Deity

I said IN THE PREVIOUS CENTURY.
Old February 2, 2004, 01:18   #38
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 22:45
hehe I love all these [insert my country] uber alles posts. Good for a laugh.

I don't think Canada should be in, btw (although... they could have a Mountie UU that gets a bonus for oppressing "barbarians")

jon.

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
Old February 2, 2004, 03:07   #39
pauli
Prince

"oh look, my elite mounties made an mgl!"

"hmm. his name is 'dudley doright..."
Old February 2, 2004, 09:50   #40
Plotinus
Prince

Local Time: 14:45
[Mattpilot] To be fair, I don't think Germany has world recognition simply because of a single war... I hope that you would have heard of the place even if the Second World War had never happened or Hitler (who was of course Austrian) had never existed. It has, I believe, the fourth largest economy in the world. Germany was a major player in nineteenth century politics after its unification under Bismarck - who, you will notice, is a pre-twentieth century figure who is used by Civ3 as Germany's leader. Germany as a single political identity may not have existed before 1871, but it certainly did as a cultural grouping - and if the Celts can qualify as a single civilisation in this game, then the Germans certainly can. You could date them all the way back to the ninth century and the Carolingian age, at least.

The English, by the way, are far more than just a bunch of Angles and Saxons... in fact, there has been so much immigration, invasion, and general mixing over the centuries that only about a quarter of our makeup is Anglo-Saxon. For example, three-quarters of all Britons today are partly descended from French Huguenots who came here in the seventeenth century.

Oh, and they *did* include Austria anyway, didn't they? You have to mod it into the game because they had reached the limit, but it's tucked away somewhere on the Conquests disc.
Old February 2, 2004, 12:37   #41
MattPilot
Prince

The austrian civ that is included is in the napoleon scenario.

As i've said, the 'Germanic' people have been around for 1000's of years, fighting against the roman empire North of the danube, if i remember correctly. As i've said, Austrians were mostly 'germanic', so to lable the germanic people as germans isn't quite right.

You can hardly call germany a 'civilization', but merely a nation. It is infact the youngest 'civ' in the game, next to the americans.

Though i will drop the subject now, since i'd have to go to an austrian Civ forum to find some sympathy.
Old February 2, 2004, 18:59   #42
Switch
Prince

It's actually a simple matter why Germany is in the game and Austria isn't. Germany is more well known to people generally, and so Firaxis went with that so more people would be comfortable with the civs, and would know more about them. And for the record, it doesn't matter how mature or 'civilized' a nation is, because in the game they're called tribes. And if you're looking at national age, America is actually older than Germany (mid-to-late 1800s, about the same time as Canada)
Old February 3, 2004, 16:32   #43
Plotinus
Prince

[Switch] Pardon my ignorance, but surely the United States came into being in 1783 or thereabouts, whereas Germany came into being in 1871?

Bear in mind, too, that the term "1800s" refers to the years 1800-1809, not to the whole of the nineteenth century. It's an increasingly common mistake...
Old February 3, 2004, 17:00   #44
MattPilot
Prince

Switch - i do believe thats what i said. maybe "followed" would have been a more proper word instead of "next" - guess i'm no expert in english.

btw, i think it has more to do to the fact that germany has over 10x potential customers than austria has.
Old February 3, 2004, 17:11   #45
Switch
Prince

OK, sorry...guess there have been some miscommunications and misreadings on my part...

What I meant to say is that America is older than Germany, as America was born before 1800 (1783?) whereas Germany became a nation in the mid-to-late 1800s (1871?). So Germany is the youngest, with America being second youngest. Sorry about the communication error.
Old February 4, 2004, 04:02   #46
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Smellincoffee
Here's my list:
----------------------
Jerusalem
Damascus
Nazareth
Bethlehem
Jericho
Gilgal
Hebron
Beersheba
Samaria
Bethany
Lydda
Ephraim
Panias
Tiberias
Nain
Sychar
Philadelphia
Magdala
Sidon
Tyre
Chorazin
Capernaum
Bethsaida
Gerasa
Gergesa
Gadara
Bethbara
Joppa
Beth Haccerem
Kirjath Jearim
Herodium
--------------------------
Masada and Qumran should be there.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old February 4, 2004, 08:37   #47
Plotinus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
Masada and Qumran should be there.
No they shouldn't. Masada was a fortress, not a city. Qumran was a small religious community, basically like a monastery, with links of some kind to the Essene movement.
Old February 8, 2004, 01:53   #48
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Thermopylae is the third Greek city on the list, and it's only famous as a battle site. It was never a significant city in its own right. That's symptomatic of all the civ lists. They pick names people will recognize, even if they aren't entirely appropriate.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old February 8, 2004, 02:11   #49
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 23:45
is it time to add the Wheres the aussie civ

UU = "Crocodile Hunter " Availbe after the dsocvery of Televison,,,
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old February 8, 2004, 06:40   #50
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Yeah, distract your enemies by throwing your recently born child to them. A 2 move unit with retreat probability of 100%.
Old February 8, 2004, 23:37   #51
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 07:45
Don't make me pull out my Wrath of God UU again.
Old February 11, 2004, 14:34   #52
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Yeah, distract your enemies by throwing your recently born child to them. A 2 move unit with retreat probability of 100%.
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old February 11, 2004, 17:20   #53
spy14
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin

I think the "I" key on your keyboard is on its way out

How about a modern south american civ such as Brazil??
Old February 12, 2004, 04:11   #54
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
Panag alert. I estimate thirty more minutes before we hear from him on this subject...
Now there's someone I haven't seen here for a while!
Old February 12, 2004, 04:19   #55
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin

Hear hear, you've got my vote!

Actually, I did a little number on possible Aussie UU's a while back, but I don't think anybody else understood
Old February 12, 2004, 17:11   #56
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:45
USA! US... Doh. Israel! Israel! Israel!