Old June 10, 2000, 09:08   #1
The Capo
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 23:03
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Hey, my name is Capo. I know I am not the biggest and baddest fish in the sea, but I am one of the most fiesty and proud fish in the sea, and while that may not count for a lot, it makes for a fun opponent/partner (depends on outlook) in a diplogame.

Diplogame 7 (which has yet to decide its future) so far has been pretty much a bust, diplogame 8 was a complete disorganized waste of time and effort.

What I am trying to do is get a diplogame rolling under the following circumstances:

1) Double production and single movement.
2) Minimum of one *good* post after each session.
3) Two hour sessions, once to twice a week.
4) Large World Map.
5) Predetermined Civs, colors and names, etc.
6) A set rule base.

I would like to begin play in a week, the week should be spent on actual preparation and thought process. We need to compile seven players, not necissarily the best, but guys that are not going to start trouble and realize that this is just a game, that is for fun.

So I would like to invite anyone who thinks they would fit the bill transcribed above to respond in this thread.

Thank you, and Good Hunting.

------------------
"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

-Winston Churchill

One Love.
Old June 10, 2000, 13:03   #2
JDI_Falcon
Chieftain

I'll join this. But I would also like to suggest those anonymous names that you suggested before Capo.
Old June 10, 2000, 13:54   #3
The Capo
DiploGames
King

By anonymous, I mean we would know who we were playing, we just wouldn't know which tribe they were, this may get hard to accomplish, especially with posts (people would need to have differant posting names) also the style of play and posts may be a give away too.
Old June 10, 2000, 14:20   #4
brocher
Chieftain

would need to know days of play & times before i can commit myself, im pacific time zone
Old June 10, 2000, 15:51   #5
pariah6
Settler

I am interested, it will be my first diplo game. so it would be interesting
Old June 10, 2000, 16:09   #6
Lor Ty
Chieftain

Sign me up
Old June 10, 2000, 16:25   #7
Running Water
Civilization II Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:03
I'm interested and this would be my first diplo game too, really. But, I understand how it's done, and I'm willing to put the time in.

Let me know the times we'll be playing before a actually commit myself to it though. I'm CDT.

Also, I'm not sure I understand the concept of anonymous. How would we post anything useful without giving away what civ we were? Unless of course, we never actually refered to our civ and refered to other civs only by their leaders??? Maybe I'm way off base anyway.

Let me know.
Running Water
Old June 10, 2000, 16:55   #8
The Capo
DiploGames
King

Okay, as far as the anonymous thing goes, I think I am going to drop that since it is not worth the trouble, I had planned on everyone making seperate names here on the boards than their normal one, but that is not going to work out good, so forget about that part.

As for the game itself, I created a world map, it is very realistic, and very big. Bigger than the normal map, a few locations have changed some of the terrain is tougher and has more growth on it (ie forests, jungles etc.)

We will try to play around 6-7 eastern time until around 9-10 eastern time depending on many things.

The days we are hoping for are Tuesday or Wednesday or both. But I can't really make a decision until everyone puts their two cents in as to the best days and times.

Here is what we need out of the players themselves:

1) Never quit no matter how angry you get at a civ.
2) Always be fair and thoughtful, no grudges please this is for fun.
3) This is not a league game, so there is NO VICTOR, no matter what the game score reads there is no winner in this game, no matter who reaches A.C. first, this game is for fun.
4) If you know you will be unable to make a certain date or time, FIND A SUB, if you do not find a sub then your sub will be my friend and yours Mr. AI.

As for playing on my created map, we can decide on that later, I already sent it to one person to look over and make suggestions, most likely it will change a bit, but it may not even be used, so we will have to wait and see.

The deadline for this to begin is in ten days, but I hope we can get it going before then and in good order.

So if you want in, please respond on this thread.

------------------
"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

-Winston Churchill

One Love.
Old June 10, 2000, 17:25   #9
pariah6
Settler

Ok, I don't like the idea of a map anyone makes themselves, plus I don't want already picked out starting posistions. It gives anyone too much of an advantage... just go with the original world map, and random posistions and resources.
Old June 10, 2000, 17:26   #10
pariah6
Settler

Ok, I don't like the idea of a map anyone makes themselves, plus I don't want already picked out starting posistions. It gives anyone too much of an advantage... just go with the original world map, and random posistions and resources.
Old June 10, 2000, 17:52   #11
JDI_Falcon
Chieftain

No, I like his map, but we will have it on Random starts.
Old June 10, 2000, 18:09   #12
hydey

Whatever you do make sure all players have the brain capacity to post if they are unavailable unlike those in diplo VI

Old June 10, 2000, 18:40   #13
Lor Ty
Chieftain

your map or the game's, Capo. I really don't care, but I want 2x1x and chatting from start(Diplo 8 was really boring without it). I would like to play on the weekends the first 2 weeks and then after that anytime would be great. There, that's my 2 cents, or was it 3(maybe 4)?
Old June 10, 2000, 20:22   #14
The Capo
DiploGames
King

Here is the deal, we cannot possibly set up a time if we don't know when everyone is open to play.

So, in order to fix the situation up here, everyone who is interested in playing this to the finish, and who think they can put up intertaining and contraversial (in some cases) posts that will make sense then this is where we want you.

But in order for us to set this up as quick as we can, we need anyone who wants to play to simply post the THREE EARLIEST times and dates they can play in this game. This requires that you can play at least two hours of civ for the session you are mentioning, and please state what time zone you are in so that we can correlate everything properly, this will end up being the quickest and smoothest running diplogame ever if everything is played to a T, so that is all.

THREE EARLIEST TIMES AND DATES PLEASE, THANK YOU!

------------------

-Winston Churchill

One Love.
Old June 10, 2000, 21:40   #15
Running Water
Chieftain

Earliest times/dates:
(All of these are in Central Time Zone for my convience)

Monday June 13th, 3:00 P.M. - whenever
Tuesday June 13th, 3:00 P.M. - whenever
Thursday June 15th, 4:00 P.M. - whenever
Saturday June 17th -anytime-

These are also the best times for me each week, given enough notice. However, I could also make short sessions Wed. morning or Friday afternoon.

Running Water
Old June 11, 2000, 02:10   #16
Lor Ty
Chieftain

Sunday: anytime.
Weekdays: anytime after 3 Pacific.
There. Once again, my 2 cen...never mind, I'll just say a few cents, so there's a few cents.
Old June 11, 2000, 14:06   #17
easthaven

if there's room for one more sign me up. (mountain time)
weekdays- 5pm to whenever
weekends- whenever to whenever

Old June 11, 2000, 14:41   #18
brocher
Chieftain

mon june 12, 4 pm pst is good for me to start ill check this post intermittently to see whats up
Old June 11, 2000, 19:03   #19
The Capo
DiploGames
King

So far we have around three people who have signed up and requested Civs, they are as follows:

The Capo - Romans
JDI_Flacon - Americans
Lor Ty - Lors (doesn't matter what color)

We still need four to three more people to round this group out.

We are probably going to play on Monday at six eastern standard time.

I have decided that for the purposes of this Diplogame we are going to play on the regular Civ2 map, since everyone (except me and Joe) are against using my map, which I think is a better depiction of the Earth than World.mp, and has more landmass in all areas but Europe (which was way too big in World.mp). But oh well.

So we are using World.mp, the Romans and Americans are taken. We are playing tommorow (Monday) at six eastern standard time, the session will end at around ten o'clock standard time, after which everyone must post or they can consider themselves replaced, this is a very strict rule becuase we are being very strict about this game.

Monday, June 12th, 6:00 est.

Monday, June 12th, 5:00 cnt.

Monday, June 12th, 4:00 mnt.

Monday, June 125h, 3:00 pac.

Are there any questions as to when we start, if you have been on this list, Pariah6, Brocher, easthaven, Running Water. Please either post what tribe/color you want to have so we can get this started promptly on time. Also if you are a going to customize your civ DO NOT CHOOSE a color, because that is unfair.

Anyway, that is the news so far, so let's let the games begin.

------------------

-Winston Churchill

One Love.
Old June 11, 2000, 19:56   #20
Ithil
Chieftain

If there's enough room for me, count me in. Any color will work, since I'll be the Lunians. 6:00 to 10:00 EDT (We're all on daylight savings I assume.) works for me, but I will have to get off at 10:00, period. And be nice to me, tomorrow is my birthday.

- Ithil

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Old June 11, 2000, 20:10   #21
Running Water
Chieftain

I choose the Sioux (purple) if the game doesn't already have enough players. Doesn't really matter to me with map we play on, for the record.

I will be here tomorrow at five CDT.

Look forward to seeing you all there.

Running Water
Old June 11, 2000, 20:24   #22
Ithil
Chieftain

Isn't 3:00 PDT too early for Running Water and 4:00 MDT too early for easthaven?
Old June 11, 2000, 20:52   #23
easthaven

any color works for me but can we start an hour later?

Old June 11, 2000, 21:39   #24
The Capo
DiploGames
King

Alright, here is the official update:

We will be playing on my map, because I don't care. Double Production and Single Movement rate. There will be no time limit but we are all expected to play very quickly. No aggression/war until 1000 bc, sneak attacks are allowed but frowned upon. Please prepare subs if you expect that you would need one, and if you did not provide one the AI will take over for you. It is going to either be on King mode as that is the norm for MP games. Since it is a diplogame there are no stips or removal of any type of unit or improvment. The starting locales are random.

The official time is 6:00 EDT, 5:00 CDT, 4:00 MDT, and 3:00 PDT. That is when we start the game.

The Players are as follows:

The Capo - Romans - White
JDI_Falcon - Americans - Light Blue
Running Water - Sioux - Purple
Lor Ty - Lors - No specific Color
Ithil - Lunians - No specific Color

We still need one or two more guys, so if you are interested, even if you have posted here already I would really like to have an E-Mail sent to me at nkreefer@aol.com in order to keep it on the record so I don't overlook you, simply E-mail me what tribe you plan on being and what time zone you are in (just in case).

That way I can update this list, remember tommorow (MONDAY the 12th) is the deadline, I don't think anyone has problems playing with five tribes, I know I don't.

That's basically it, any questions or comments can be sent directly to nkreefer@aol.com, and if you plan on joining follow the instructions above.

------------------

-Winston Churchill

One Love.
Old June 12, 2000, 00:45   #25
brocher
Chieftain

I can play at 4 pm pacific time most weekdays
& maybe some weekends during the day.
But i think 7 players is rather ambitious it can take up to an hour between turns & someone allways seems to get booted from the game which causes frustrating delays
Old June 12, 2000, 08:29   #26
The Capo
DiploGames
King

Okay there are a lot of people saying they will be late, or early or whatever. Well I am one of em, because I probably won't be able to make it until seven eastern at the earliest, most likely 7:30 to 8:00 is when I will be back to play this game.

So I am not quite sure when we can start? But you guys be online around seven to eight eastern. Just so you guys know its my Graduation today that is why I am apprehensive about starting a specific time for this thing. I know how much this sucks, but Tuesday and Wednesday I am pretty much booked to say the least. So be online and I will be here as fast as I can to sort things out. Thank you and good hunting.

------------------

-Winston Churchill

One Love.
Old June 12, 2000, 10:43   #27
Ithil
Chieftain

I at least have to quit at 10:00 EDT no later. I haven't seen quitting times for others...
Old June 12, 2000, 11:37   #28
brocher
Chieftain

i can make it at 3pm.pacific time today only
(i have the day off work)but in the future i
cant start tiil 4 pm pst
i will probably play green civ
Old June 12, 2000, 18:57   #29
The Capo
DiploGames
King

Hey we are waiting for Joe to start, its 7:51 on Monday, eastern time. Okay?
Old June 12, 2000, 19:55   #30
easthaven

when are we playing i can play right now.