Old December 7, 2003, 04:15   #31
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:47
Local Date: November 2, 2010
ALAN m English, Scottish
Pronounced: AL-an
The meaning of this name is not known for certain, though it possibly means either "little rock" or "handsome" in Breton. It was introduced to England by Bretons after the Norman invasion. Famous modern bearers include Alan Shepard, the first American in space and the fifth man to walk on the moon, and Alan Turing, a British mathematician and computer scientist.

-
/me shakes hands with Jag..
Old December 7, 2003, 05:38   #32
radicus
Settler

Local Time: 13:47
AMIR m Arabic
Means "prince" or "commander" in Arabic. This was originally a title, related to the Arabic loanword emir.
Old December 7, 2003, 05:56   #33
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 14:47
My favourite.

Quote:
BRONWEN f Welsh
Pronounced: BRAWN-wen
Derived from the Welsh elements bron "breast" and gwen "white, fair, blessed".
I used to go out with a Bronwen, and her tits were certainly something to celebrate.
Old December 7, 2003, 05:59   #34
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

If my daughter had been a boy, she'd be called this.

Quote:
CORMAC m Irish
Means "son of defilement" from Gaelic corb "defilement" and mac "son". This was the name of a 3rd-century king of Ireland.
Old December 7, 2003, 06:54   #35
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 16:47
Jari= short version of Jalmari= finnish version of Hjalmar= helmeted soldier in Norse mythologies.

Also a river in South America.
Old December 7, 2003, 07:01   #36
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
ROSS m Scottish, English
Pronounced: RAWS
From a surname which meant "promontory"* in Gaelic, originally belonging to someone who lived on a headland. A famous bearer of the surname was Sir James Clark Ross, an Antarctic explorer.

*promontory: A high point of land or rock projecting into the sea beyond the line of coast; a headland; a high cape.

ALEXANDER m English, German, Dutch
Pronounced: al-eg-ZAN-dur
From the Greek name Alexandros, which meant "defending men" from Greek alexein "to defend, help" and aner "man" (genitive andros). Alexander the Great, King of Macedon, is the most famous bearer of
this name. In the 4th century BC he built a huge empire out of Greece, Egypt, Persia, and parts of India. This was also the name of emperors of Russia, kings of Scotland and Yugoslavia, and eight popes. Also, Sir Alexander MacKenzie was an explorer of the north and west of Canada in the 18th century.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old December 7, 2003, 07:37   #37
DaShi
Emperor

How could an arrow to the heel kill Achilles? I know he is vulnerable there, but I've never heard of someone dying from a cut heel.
Old December 7, 2003, 07:53   #38
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
It was the only mortal piece of his body so, logically, the heel was the only place he could be mortally wounded.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old December 7, 2003, 08:01   #39
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

JOHAN m Scandinavian, German, Czech
Scandinavian, Low German and Czech form of Johannes (see JOHN).

JOHN m English, Biblical
Pronounced: JAWN
English form of Johannes, which was the Latin form of the Greek name Ioannes, itself derived from the Hebrew name Yochanan meaning "YAHWEH is gracious". This name owes its consistent popularity to two New Testament characters, both highly revered as saints. The first was John the Baptist, the forerunner of Jesus Christ, who was beheaded by Herod Antipas. The second was the apostle John who was also supposedly the author of the fourth Gospel and Revelation. The name has been borne by 23 popes, as well as kings of England, Hungary, Poland, Portugal and France. It was also borne by the poet John Milton and the philosopher John Locke.
Old December 7, 2003, 08:15   #40
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 15:47
OLLE m Swedish
Swedish variant of OLAF

OLAF m Norwegian, Danish
Pronounced: O-laf
Means "ancestor's descendent" from the Old Norse elements anu "ancestor" and leifr "descendent". This was the name of five kings of Norway, including Saint Olaf (Olaf II).

As I got the name in memory of my mothers dead father, also named Olof called Olle, I'm really the "ancestor's descendent". No chance in hell my parents know about that beforehan though.
Old December 7, 2003, 08:16   #41
DrGerry
Spanish Civers
Deity

Local Time: 10:47
GERARD m English, Dutch
Pronounced: je-RARD
Derived from the Germanic element ger "spear" combined with hard "brave, hardy". The Normans introduced this name to Britain.
Soporte a Linux o será baneado.
Old December 7, 2003, 08:49   #42
Paul Hanson
King

PAUL m English, French, German, Romanian, Biblical
Pronounced: PAWL, POL (French)
From the Roman family name Paulus, which meant "small" or "humble" in Latin. Saint Paul was an important leader of the early Christian church, his story told in Acts in the New Testament. He was originally named Saul, but changed his name after converting to Christianity. Most of the epistles in the New Testament were authored by him. This was also the name of six popes. Famous bearers of this name in the art world include Paul Cezanne and Paul Gauguin, both 19th-century impressionist painters from France.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old December 7, 2003, 08:53   #43
axi
Prince

Local Time: 16:47
Quote:
How could an arrow to the heel kill Achilles? I know he is vulnerable there, but I've never heard of someone dying from a cut heel.
Poisoned arrow.