Old December 7, 2003, 00:09   #1
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 09:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Anyone who watches Stargate SG-1 care to explain the show to me?
I want to become a fan of the show, as I get a channel that airs it all the time and it seems like it isn't crappy like most sci-fi stuff. However I'm finding it a little hard to jump into the show at its sixth(?) season. Please give me a brief synapsis. I looked on their official site, but they didn't really have a good overview.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old December 7, 2003, 00:21   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 13:48
Don't watch it.
Teach the capitalist pigs a lesson
Old December 7, 2003, 00:26   #3
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Face it Tassadar, the entire world consists of capitalist pigs. Cuba and North Korea are your last beacons of hope. *tries but fails to keep a smirk from his face*

Old December 7, 2003, 00:58   #4
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 08:48
Did you see the movie?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 7, 2003, 01:06   #5
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Nope. I have seen zero Stargate stuff so far. I tend to shy away from SciFi stuff because most of it is abysmal, but Stargate looks like it is actually pretty good from previews I've seen and what other people say about it.

Old December 7, 2003, 01:13   #6
DinoDoc
Deity

Any general questions?
Old December 7, 2003, 01:21   #7
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 07:48
1) Watch the movie.
2) Watch the premiere movie of the SG1 tv series.

#2 will answer most of your questions.

Basically the Stargate is a big ring that transports to another Big Ring on the other side of the Galaxy. In the premiere they discover there is more than just the one ring they went to. There are millions of other rings scattered throughout the universe.

So..........

You have modern day Americans zipping across the universe and meeting aliens with half of them being far superior and more advanced than us. We constantly play Oliver and beg for technology to help our poor liitle backwards selves advance.

But our human ingenutity allows us to kill a major alien dictator ever now and then.

And all the gods of human religion are actually aliens leaders, like Thor, Rah, etc.
Old December 7, 2003, 01:25   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Not to mention they KICKED DANIEL JACKSON OFF
Old December 7, 2003, 01:27   #9
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Why do we have a Stargate?

Old December 7, 2003, 01:30   #10
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
Why do we have a Stargate?
Because the enemy aliens came here and built it.
Old December 7, 2003, 01:35   #11
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

How did they do that? You can't just sneak onto someone else's planet and build something.

Old December 7, 2003, 01:46   #12
DinoDoc
Deity

They didn't sneak here. They formed the basis for various ancient religions. The Egyptians being the most pertinant since that seems to be where they pull the names for the members of the main antagonist race. The Stargate is something they build to speed transit from slaveworlds to thier power bases.
Old December 7, 2003, 01:50   #13
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

So the ancient people thought they were gods?

Old December 7, 2003, 02:17   #14
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 06:48
Warning: Spoilers ahead spanning various points throughout all seasons of the show.

Edit: Mordoch has provided some additional, more detailed links a few posts down.

A race known indirectly as "The Ancients" built the stargate system a very long time ago...then disappeared. They had an alliance between 3 other races (the Nox, the Asgard <-the grey aliens of UFO lore, and the Furlongs(?) or some damn thing). The Go'uld(sp?) are a parasitic race of symbiotes that take hosts in order to get anything done, having only snake bodies themselves. Originally they enslaved a bipedal race on their own homeworld, but happened across Earth and Humans during their travels through the galaxy. They opted to take Humans as hosts because of ease with which our bodies can be repaired, ensuring near-immortality.

The System Lords began transporting Humans to other worlds in their domains as slaves/workers/hosts. Humans that still live on Earth are reffered to as the Tauri. A rebellion occured, throwing the Go'uld into chaos, and Earth's stargate was burried beneath the sands of Egypt. The Tauri, as well as numerous other Human cultures transplanted on other worlds, managed to overthrow their Go'uld masters and begin developing on their own, though many more remain enslaved.

After "The Ancients" disappeared, The other old races went their seperate ways: The Nox went into seclusion on their world, the Furlong(?) remain unencountered by the SGC, and the Asgard are who we recognize as the "little grey aliens." They've watched over Earth for a very long time, even as the Go'uld spread their influence in this galaxy. The SGC finally made contact with them and has an alliance with them in their mutual war with the System Lords. The Asgard have fought numerous times against the System Lords and have had uneasy truces as well. However, the Asgard have their own problems in their homegalaxy against a technological race: the Replicators. That war is not yet won, but the SGC does help the Asgard against them. The To'krah are also Go'uld, but have taken a philosophical stand against the System Lords and as such fight against them and ally with the Tauri.

Another race of beings (whose name escapes me) are made of pure energy. They have largely chosen not to interfer with the affairs of any of the other races. However, two among their ranks broke with that standing. One has become a powerful System Lord and the other was Doctor Daniel Jackson of SG-1. He became an "ascended being" through a story arc involving his marriage to Char'aui on Abydos, the planet from the movie Stargate, and the child born of her and the Go'uld Apophous(sp?). Daniel decided to help the SGC against the other ascended being that broke standing norms of their kind, and was subsequently striped of his ascended status and returned to the Tauri.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Last edited by DRoseDARs; December 7, 2003 at 03:02.
Old December 7, 2003, 02:20   #15
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Which was created first, the movie or the show's first season?

Old December 7, 2003, 02:21   #16
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Movie.

Old December 7, 2003, 02:23   #17
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

One thing you'll notice is how the Go'uld are represented in the movie and how they are in the show. In one of the final scenes of the movie where the ship is blown up has the Go'uld as a bipedal alien in Human skin, as if it's Human face were just a mask. The show takes a different route having the Go'uld as a parasite that takes any suitable host.

Old December 7, 2003, 02:58   #18
Mordoch
Chieftain

A good source of info and general info about the show, although watch out for spoilers if you want to avoid them, can be found at http://www.gateworld.net/index.shtml

The Omnipedia is particularly useful for general background info http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/index.shtml