Old December 7, 2003, 16:19   #1
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Playing for fun : Opening the door to alternative play-styles
Following the discussion on playstyle choices in this game, I got thinking about what options might be available for a team that were not playing to win. It might be interesting to have a game where perhaps four civs are out to win, and three out to roleplay with no interest in victory conditions. If their roleplay is either too weak or too annoying, or they're unlucky, they'll get dealt with, but if things go their way they could find themselves with more than they expected.

Some of these ideas are probably absurd, and could even be seriously bad ideas which would imbalance and wreck a game, but I thought it might be fun to mention them anyway ...

Non-Interventionists

A team could play with the policy of peaceful survival for as long as possible, undertaking no aggression, only fighting for its own self-defence, and a refusing to enter into any offensive or defensive alliance. By declaring itself a non-contender, it would be less of a target than a determined competitor.

It would, of course have to defend it's land against civs with an appreciative eye on their assets, but if it succeeded in carving itself out a role as a non-threatening trading partner, with no enemies, it could find powerful allies prepared to offer security to maintain balance.

If it doesn't work - most likely for geographical reasons - and they get squashed then so what - the team were only playing for fun anyway.

Moral Interventionists - Military

These guys don't want to win, they just want to fight and die in a blaze of glory for a just cause. A variant of the Mercenary Civ, they'll fight not for their own interests but for whoever has the best propaganda.

Moral Interventionists - Diplomatic

OCC for DG, anyone? Maybe they'd only last for 10 minutes, but this team might either try to be an in-game 'referee' - a small, neutral civ with no chance of winning who makes supposedly wise and fair pronouncements and waits to see if anyone takes any notice. More realistic could be a 'UN Civ' to intervene diplomatically, trying to encourage and broker peace deals.

Psycho Warmongers

I wouldn't want to start next to this lot. They anticipate a relatively short but bloody career, taking the 'Glory of War' a step further. For this team the future is irrelevant, and the last one in the game's a cissy who defended themselves too well.
Cort Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2003, 22:25   #2
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 09:49
Re: Playing for fun : Opening the door to alternative play-styles
Quote:
Originally posted by Cort Haus

Some of these ideas are probably absurd, and could even be seriously bad ideas which would imbalance and wreck a game, but I thought it might be fun to mention them anyway ...
Indeed!!!!

Quote:
Non-Interventionists

A team could play with the policy of peaceful survival for as long as possible, undertaking no aggression, only fighting for its own self-defence, and a refusing to enter into any offensive or defensive alliance. By declaring itself a non-contender, it would be less of a target than a determined competitor.

It would, of course have to defend it's land against civs with an appreciative eye on their assets, but if it succeeded in carving itself out a role as a non-threatening trading partner, with no enemies, it could find powerful allies prepared to offer security to maintain balance.

If it doesn't work - most likely for geographical reasons - and they get squashed then so what - the team were only playing for fun anyway.
Uh .... Lego?

Quote:
Moral Interventionists - Military

These guys don't want to win, they just want to fight and die in a blaze of glory for a just cause. A variant of the Mercenary Civ, they'll fight not for their own interests but for whoever has the best propaganda.
Uh ....Vox?

Quote:
Moral Interventionists - Diplomatic

OCC for DG, anyone? Maybe they'd only last for 10 minutes,.
Uh ...Lux?

Quote:
Psycho Warmongers

I wouldn't want to start next to this lot. They anticipate a relatively short but bloody career, taking the 'Glory of War' a step further. For this team the future is irrelevant, and the last one in the game's a cissy who defended themselves too well.
GoW or ND. Take your choice.

Old December 8, 2003, 09:28   #3
Darekill
PtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Prince

Grrrrrr......
We are no psychos!
No we aren't
the simple fact that we post from a sanatory and take our dose of psychopharmaca almost every day does not prove anything.
Whoever says that we would be psychos will be shot at at sight.

(only fun)
Old December 8, 2003, 11:02   #4
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Nice try , Beta

It would be unfair to Lego to suggest they are non-interventionist!

What I had in mind was a truly hands-off civ. They'd hopefully have a nice little corner somewhere where they build some stuff, trade a resource or two, drink lager, and watch the show. With no military or diplomatic adventures they can play their turn quickly as well.

I think that would be fun to play, and wouldn't bugger the game up like the other ideas might.

( I'll beat you to it, Beta : 'GS post-Bob' )
Old December 8, 2003, 11:28   #5
Darekill
Prince

Do I read here that GS finaly dicided to leave borconia to the borconians?

Hey, that would be a great day for ND indeed....
Old December 8, 2003, 11:57   #6
Cort Haus
Deity

No you didn't read that, Darekill
Old December 8, 2003, 12:24   #7
Darekill
Prince

Sniff....

O.k. then lets have some fun by playing hide and seek with your Knights for a while....
Old December 8, 2003, 12:49   #8
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
It would be unfair to Lego to suggest they are non-interventionist!
I would have to agree with Cort Haus. No offense taken, Beta, but CH put it right.
vondrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2003, 13:08   #9
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 07:49
I think pretty much all the styles you suggested have been utilized by team concepts already.

GoW is a team of psychos, and proud of it!

Give us your cruel, your bloodthirsty, your psychological deviant yearning to bash in skulls..................
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2003, 13:45   #10
Cort Haus
Deity

Is there a team playing non-interventionists on a DG somewhere? I'd be really interested in playing that. There's been nothing like that in this game.
Old December 8, 2003, 16:37   #11
Ennet
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Prince

We should be the only team who has the right to call ourselves "Psycho Warmongers"! There might be some other warmonger civs.. but surly we are the only psychos around, right? :-)

A.D 300, after 5h of playing DonHomer said: "looks like civ2 could be a good way to kill time if i can get the hang of it :P"
Ennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2003, 16:38   #12
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Where the bloody hell is the mercenary concept?

Hell you include a 'variant' but not the original?

As for GoW, some of us are more psycho than others on the team...

woe be unto you all if all of us psycho's gain full control.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; December 8, 2003 at 16:44.
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2003, 23:18   #13
Cort Haus
Deity

Yes, UnO, I was specifically exploring variants here not the original.

Which brings me to another point ...

Are GoW a mercenary civ, as I'd thought, or psycho-warmongers as is perhaps being claimed here?

I'd have thought there was a difference. Put bluntly, Psycho's do it for pleasure, mercs do it for cash or equivalent.
Old December 8, 2003, 23:40   #14
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:49
Local Date: November 3, 2010
We shall not be pigeon-holed

We can be both.
Psycho-warmongers who can be easily bought if the price is right.

Last edited by Hot_Enamel; December 8, 2003 at 23:55.
Hot_Enamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2003, 23:47   #15
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:49
Local Date: November 3, 2010
<--- I'm with Stupid

Last edited by Hot_Enamel; December 9, 2003 at 00:00.
Hot_Enamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2003, 09:53   #16
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Quote:
Yes, UnO, I was specifically exploring variants here not the original.

Which brings me to another point ...

Are GoW a mercenary civ, as I'd thought, or psycho-warmongers as is perhaps being claimed here?

I'd have thought there was a difference. Put bluntly, Psycho's do it for pleasure, mercs do it for cash or equivalent.
We are psycho warmongerers who if we can't do it for cash will do it for fun
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Panzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2003, 09:58   #17
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack

I would have to agree with Cort Haus. No offense taken, Beta, but CH put it right.
And I would have to agree with you, vondrack. Vox's existence speaks for itself.
Old December 10, 2003, 22:04   #18
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Just so you know, one of the teams in the MZO C3CDG has taken the "Mercenary" concept to its utmost. Basically it is a team that has openly stated it has no intention of winning but only in being hired by other teams to do their dirty work and that their mercenary nature should be respeced. Since I'm not on the team I don't know if this is the biggest piece of propaganda to ultimately DO win or not but I think the concept is very interesting and unique.

(and I hope my team finds them first )

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 22:14   #19
Cort Haus
Deity

Yeeah! thanks, MZ!

This is what I was hoping people would post about - teams who decide on a playstyle that doesn't include victory aspirations. Are those the guys that put up an ad hiring their workers too? Not the ******* Chinese again, surely!
Old December 10, 2003, 23:01   #20
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:49
No, the vikings, actually

Come join Merc if you haven't joined a team already. What they say is true; we really aren't out to win. Gold is far more important.
Old December 11, 2003, 10:54   #21
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 15:49
Hey, Roleplay is not included. During the first months we had oftenly the discussion whether we wanted to win, or go for roleplay, finally, we decided that we would go for victory ...

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Aidun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2003, 13:25   #22
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Quote:
Yeeah! thanks, MZ!

This is what I was hoping people would post about - teams who decide on a playstyle that doesn't include victory aspirations. Are those the guys that put up an ad hiring their workers too? Not the ******* Chinese again, surely!
Sorry, I was talking about the merc team over there earlier, Court Hous, which I founded.

We are not giving a second thought to winning that game for we will win every time we are hired and complete a contract. Gold is our god, and the all mighty dollar rules.

Yeah, we offered our workers, and the 'assisted palace move', but we have many other ideas we are tinkering with as well.

Come join in the fun, and see if you can help us overcome the many challenges, most prominent of which MZ points out in making the other teams believe it's not the biggest piece of propoganda ever.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote